x

How to setup different Sales Tax rate on online store?

Hello,

We sell food and merchandise on our square online store.

How do I set different tax rates for these.

In CT food tax is 7.35%

and merchandise tax is 6.35%

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Admin

Hey @pnash

You can learn about setting up tax rates for your Square Online Store in this article.

Your tax settings will be configured in the Square Online Store Dashboard > Settings > Taxes. Let me know if you have any questions after reading the article! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 12

Looks like this is not available on the online store.

Found this thread that addresses the issue.

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Square-Online-Store-Discussion/How-to-set-separate-sales-tax-rate...

We sell different items and they have different tax rates.This is essential for our business.

Is there a timeframe when this will be available?

Message 3 of 12
Alumni

Hey @pnash - no time frame to share at the moment but we'll let you know when the time comes. Thanks for your patience. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 12

It's been a year, and as far as I can tell, we're still not able to set separate food and alcohol tax for our online orders. Any updates?

Message 5 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hi! 

You can use the itemized tax rates in your online Square Dashboard for pickup and delivery orders through Square Online. To turn on itemized taxes for pickup and delivery orders:

1. Go to your Square Online Overview page > Settings > Taxes.
  2. Under Tax rates & calculations, toggle on Itemized taxes for pickup, delivery, or both.
  3. Select Go To Item Taxes to view itemized taxes in the online Square Dashboard.

Customers who received an itemized rate on a delivery or pickup order can view a calculation of their taxes during checkout displayed by tax name. If a customer selects pickup or delivery for an item that does not have an itemized tax rate, no tax will be applied to the purchase.

Note: Tax exempt items in Square only apply to Square Online pickup and delivery orders. Shipped orders will use the tax rates set up in the Square Online Overview page settings.

AshleyK
Message 6 of 12

I have set up my products to charge sales tax but on my last 4 orders it is not charging, help, im losing money!! I have it set to collect sales tax but every  new order - no tax! Please help. 

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 12

I've found that if I create the item in Weebly it doesn't automatically apply make it subject to sales tax. I have to check on the Square site to see if the item is marked as subject to being taxed. https://squareup.com/dashboard/items/taxes is how I have to check. 

Message 8 of 12
Admin

Sorry you're having trouble @Donnia! Check Isabelle_'s Answer above to make sure you're setting your taxes up correctly. Let us know if you're still running into problems.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 9 of 12
Beta Member

As I've been looking at our reports from the online store I noticed that the tax rate being billed is different. This doesn't make sense to me as we are a restaurant processing orders for pick-up so all of the tax charged should be our city tax. Why would the system be charging different tax rates?

Message 10 of 12

I posted a new question which brought up this thread. How do I set up the on-line website so it calculates the sales tax based on food or non-food.  I need to charge one rate (1%) for food products and another rate (5.3%) for non-food products?

I have my POS taxes set up and it works great. My online site is charging the non-food tax rate on everything so I don't lose money. When I called Square support, that is what they told me to do because I can't charge two different sales rates.

Can the on-line site just not use the same way of charging that the app does?

Can anyone provide me with step-by-step instructions to fix my website?

Thank you!

Message 11 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @OnLineSeller

Sales taxes work a little differently when it comes to the Online Store. You can have item level sales taxes set up depending on the order type. 

It would look something like this on your site

Is this how it looks on your site? Or are you seeing something different on your end?

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Message 12 of 12