x

Square Online: How do I unpublish if I accidentally hit the 'publish' button?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: how To unpublish

I accidentally hit the publish button. I’m not completely set up. What can I do?

Message 1 of 19
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @Blonderebel! No worries. Head to your Weebly Dashboard and click Website on the left hand side of the screen. Then select Site Preferences. If you scroll down to Unpublish, you'll see the option to unpublish your Square Online site. 

There are two ways to republish your site: click Publish in the Editor, or click Publish on the Website Overview page . 👍

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @Blonderebel! No worries. Head to your Weebly Dashboard and click Website on the left hand side of the screen. Then select Site Preferences. If you scroll down to Unpublish, you'll see the option to unpublish your Square Online site. 

There are two ways to republish your site: click Publish in the Editor, or click Publish on the Website Overview page . 👍

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 2 of 19

Thank you!

Message 3 of 19

When you "unpublish" though, the things you changed do not go back to the way it was, right? So if I made a bunch of changes and hit publish, decide I didn't like my changes, I can hit unpublish for what the customers see, but then I have to go back in and undo all of my changes by hand if I want to put it back to the way it was. Is this correct?

Message 4 of 19

@Random1 Random1 is it possible that you made a "second location" when you created your store? This happened to me and I am now stuck with it as square considers it a second business if you create-it and will not remove-it.  Honestly, I think it may help reduce fraud by ensuring people do not make a temporary business then delete it, but I know it's frustrating. 

If this is the case then go into your items settings for each product you listed and give it permission for both locations. 

I look forward to hearing the outcome.

Message 5 of 19

Thanks for the info but that isn't what I meant. What I meant was, my store is online and running well. I decide to make some changes - new photos, move things around - and then hit publish to update what my customer sees. Then I decide I didn't like my changes after all, I can unpublish but then my site goes down altogether for the customer? And on my editing side, I have to undo each change and republish. In other words, if I unpublish, it doesn't "reset" back to my last published version. Like hitting Ctl-Z and undo. Maybe there is some other way I'm supposed to be uploading updates and changes I make and Publish is only used to be visible online?

Message 6 of 19

@Random1 Yup - you need to make new changes. Don't unpublish you store. Just edit the item in the editing mode and change the pictures. After that look at the online version and you will see the changes.

Message 7 of 19

Hello. I tried to unpublish my website due to accidentally publishing it as well. I followed your instructions and was not able to locate the unpublish button. 

Message 8 of 19

I think there was an update since those instructions were published. Now you have to select "Website" and the bottom choice under that is Site Preferences and then scroll down to the bottom of that page and that is where you will see "unpublish".  That will take your site down altogether (meaning inactive the use of it) if you are not ready to have people use it. There is also a new "Reset to Default" but not really sure what that means, haven't tried it. 

Message 9 of 19
Square Community Moderator

Yes, we have updated the verbiage. Thanks for posting your answer here, and I'll get the pinned answer updated as well. 😊

Reset to default will wipe out your custom edits, and allow you to rebuild the site from the beginning flow. 

Message 10 of 19

Thanks for bringing this up. We'll get the post updated. 😊

Message 11 of 19

this doesn't work as there is no website button in the top left corner, clearly things have changed since 2020. I don't even know if Weebly is involved anymore, but my square site has now made my clients have to go through multiple steps to get to the appointment book. I already have a website, 
I don't want the square site, just the appointment book.

Message 12 of 19

Hi @Sagmane 👋 Thanks for reaching out. 

I double-checked and the information in the pinned post at the top is still relevant. Are you navigating to the Square Online dashboard

You will see "Website" directly underneath "Overview" on the left side of the screen. After you click Website, click on Site Preferences, then scroll down for the Unpublish option. 

Please let me know if you have additional questions. 

Message 13 of 19

@Random1 Obviously now that we have more information. The answer to your question is DO NOT UNPUBLISH your store. Simply edit the item in the edit mode back to the pictures you want and save the update. There is no reason to unpublish and publish every time you want to change the details of an item.

Message 14 of 19

@Random1 its been a while since I edited in my store. Not sure if the "save changes" button says "publish" or not - Square is notorious for convoluted statements like that. If so - "Publish" in this context is Publish/SAVE Changes, thats all. Once you have pushed that button there is no going back, NO REASON TO UNPUBLISH YOUR SHORE just change the photo back to the one you want and "save changes".

Message 15 of 19

What if we are taking a break and have very low inventory. Can I unpublish to take my site down and then when I am ready hit publish again? I don't want to loose everything I have worked so hard to create. 

Message 16 of 19

Hi @jmbaxter05 - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Great Question.

You can absolutely unpublish your site if your business is taking some time away. 

You can unpublish your site by Logging into your Square Online Dashboard.

Once you're logged in, on the left select Website.

After clicking "website", select Site Preferences.

Near the bottom of that page you will see the Unpublish button. 

I hope this helps.

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 19
Agency Partner

I hit the publish button on a site before it was ready to be released. Can I go back to the old verison without losing my work?

Message 18 of 19

Hi @ERMarketing  - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I went ahead and merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed this topic as well. We merge duplicate conversations together to keep like comments in one place, and to make it easier for others to find the thread in the future. 

Please see the reply from one of our Community Moderators, @nika , which has been marked as the Best Answer to this question

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 19 of 19