x

Card not Accepted - simplii financial & CIBC

For the last few weeks we have had issues accepting simplii financial and CIBC interact cards. 
With simplii financial it is not accepted with tap or insert. CIBC works only if the card is inserted. 

I called Square and they were not helpful. First they told me that the machine would not accept interact at all and then they said it probably one of the cards that Square can’t process. This I don’t understand because it’s a interact card?

Has anyone else had this issue or maybe there is a problem with my machine? 

located in Canada 🇨🇦

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Alumni

This page will help clarify how Interac cards should be processed with Square, @Downtownbaker! 🥖 

Additionally, we have an overview of accepted card types here, so I recommend taking a look to see if the cards you are running into trouble with are listed here or not. 

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 10

Unfortunately this did not answer my question. 

Message 3 of 10
Alumni

Have the customers contacted the companies who issued their cards to ensure everything is ok on their end, @Downtownbaker?

Have you attempted any troubleshooting with your Square reader yet?

Valentina
Message 4 of 10

The issue happens constantly with two specific banks. But it’s multiple

cards. 
They always mention that they used the card at another shop just minutes before. 

Message 5 of 10
Alumni

What kind of reader do you use to accept payments, @Downtownbaker?

The Square Terminal or Square Reader for contactless and chip?

Valentina
Message 6 of 10

I’m using the square reader with a square stand 

Message 7 of 10
Alumni

Is it possible that these customers hit the spending limit for tap purchases without a PIN being entered?

You can learn more about Interac and spending limits on their website:

There is also added protection of a cumulative contactless limit set by individual banks or credit unions.  A cumulative limit is the maximum contactless spend limit that can be done by an individual Interac debit card before the user is promoted to reset the limit with a Chip and PIN transaction. This confirms that you are the authorized cardholder.

If you do not have a Square Terminal, buyers will not be able to enter a PIN, @Downtownbaker.

Valentina
Message 8 of 10
Beta Member

I've also had issues with CIBC VISA and Simplii debit (owned by CIBC) being declined for no reason. 

Message 9 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for reaching out, and sorry about the trouble here @Eman74

When it comes to declined cards, there are multiple factors at play, with the type of the card being one. For example, magstripe cards can be swiped, while others would need to be inserted. The customer's card may have insufficient funds, or they might have a spending limit or wrong pin number. Feel free to let us know a bit more about how you're processing your payments. While we can't look into these transactions via this public forum, our support team can shed some more light here, too. Reach out here or give us a call on 855-809-9000, Mon - Fri, 6am-6pm Pacific Time. 

Message 10 of 10