x

Declined and cancelled Transactions

Transactions that are listed as declined....are these all items where sales were made in offline status and then declined or do these include declines at point of sale when online?

What is a cancelled transaction status?

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@HGIC That’s interesting.  I’d recommend calling Square Customer Success, so that they can look into the specifics of transactions.  Given that you have the emails, they should be able to give you much more information than we can, since it would involve account sensitive information.

Good luck!

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook

“Take what you like, take what works, leave the rest!”

User of the following third-party apps (ask for help or a referral link):

FreshKDS — Kitchen Display System
Bookkeep — Automated Revenue Accounting
Restoke — Menu Pricing and real-time inventory

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

Hi @HGIC.  If you go to your dashboard -> Reports -> Transaction Status Report, then press the little blue ? In the upper right corner, you will get the screen I am including below.  It has explanations for all transaction statutes.  To expand a little bit, declinations are only declinations that Visa/MC/Amex pass on from the customer’s card-issuing bank — whether for NSF, or closed account, or whatever.  These are actual decisions made my a computer algorithm.  Some of those could be offline sales that were later declined by the bank, but that’s one of the risks we take for offline sales, and it’s why Square gives us the ability to set a maximum amount we are willing to risk to take sales when we are offline.

Offline sales that are never actually processed get the status Expired.

Cancelled usually means that a transaction was started but the process was not completed.  There are lots of reasons for this, but the end result is that an authorization was most likely not issued.  This will happen, also, if you get an authorization but don’t end up processing the transaction for whatever reason — the pre-authorization is effectively cancelled.

I hope that helps.

1F57067B-AD51-427C-B8DD-908F7BCB24D5.jpeg

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Website
Facebook

Message 2 of 4

I am getting emails for failed offline transaction but the transaction report show no expired just declined and cancelled

Thanks for your help

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

Best Answer

@HGIC That’s interesting.  I’d recommend calling Square Customer Success, so that they can look into the specifics of transactions.  Given that you have the emails, they should be able to give you much more information than we can, since it would involve account sensitive information.

Good luck!

Chip

Website
Facebook

Message 4 of 4