x
Admin

Start with Why: Opening Discussion

Hey Square Readers,

Who’s ready to talk books?

giphy-downsized-large

We’ve already announced that our April & May 2023 book is Start with Why by Simon Sinek. Check out that first thread and read more about what to expect. 

We hope you picked up a copy and are excited to dive in!

Let’s start off here with some questions to keep in mind:
We'd love if you could jump into the comments to answer any or all of them as you go, and share your thoughts as you are reading the book.

1. What do you hope to learn from this book?
  2. Why do you think the Why is so important in running a business?

We can’t wait to hear your thoughts in the comments below.

We may repost your comments into our summary post at the end of the month.

And check out my comment to see my thoughts!

Keep checking back in this group throughout the next two months for some key insights, discussion questions, articles, videos, and more ways for you to learn and share. I'll be adding another discussion thread in early May with more questions and thoughts. 

See these threads for more discussions:

Happy reading,

Pesso

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Admin

I can't wait to hear everyone's thoughts on the discussion questions and the book so far!

Here's mine:

I've heard a lot about this book with a lot of business owners recommending it to me over the last few years. I also watched his TED talk and was absolutely captivated by the examples he gave. The quote "People don't buy what you do, they buy Why you do it" has stuck with me for a long time. I try to look for the Why in everything I do, and when I'm helping others. 

First, I'm hoping to learn more about not why the Why is so important and how customers and others are drawn to and connect to someone's Why. On top of that, I want to learn how to find, internalize, and be able to explain that Why easily. And finally, I want to learn how to express that why in actions, and not have to just explain it verbally -- to really be able to make other folks feel it and to connect with it. 

I think a Why is important to a business because, especially as SMB (Small-Medium Business) Owners, we're driven by so much more than just making sales and profit. I'm pretty sure that most if not all of us are driven by a cause, a want to contribute and make or spread something to our communities. The Why is the reason for that and behind that, and being able to really focus in on the Why just spreads that message and makes that known, helping others find and connect with us. That's my big goal with my businesses, and being able to tap into that more easily would be huge. 

On another note, I also loved how in the second chapter in setting up why the way is so important, Sinek dived into other marketing and promotion strategies like discounts, and potential pitfalls there. Gotta love some well rounded business strategy tips!

Can't wait to hear all of your thoughts!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 22 of 32
Beta Member

This is a great book to keep centered. I'm a new business- less than a year, so I get asked "why" a lot. For us, "What good chocolate should taste like" to counter our over industrialization of the US food system. My tagline is "A little bite of happy" that goes along with our artful designs and branding. I saw @YBF also incorporates "happy." 😄 Mine is definitely in response to the pandemic and bringing a smile back with a collective deep breath.

I came from a corporate career in healthcare (medical lab diagnostics)- yes a pivot from covid tests to something happy! Listening to the book, takes me back to my customer presentations. I cringed when marketing and sales would start off with the company's world presence- the who as if it was a why and then would go into the features and benefits- the what again as if the customer could connect it to the why. When building presentations, I always started with "Why [Us]?" to the customer. Why should they chose us over all other similar competitors? @Myerst has a great take because this why gets personalized with each customer and drives an emotional connection and motivation. Love that!

Now I need to go listen to the next chapter while I make some more chocolates!...

Message 23 of 32

I hope to learn from this book how to keep my Why front and center on a daily basis. It's too easy for me to get bogged down in details and forget my Why. I think the Why is so important in running a business because it exudes passion and passion draws people like a magnet, whether it's customers, potential employees and vendors/suppliers. 

Message 24 of 32
Admin

Thanks so much for sharing @LoriS2 ! It can definitely be all too easy to get caught up in the day to day, focusing on the what and how of running a business and having the why get lost. It can be so overwhelming! 

What are your thoughts on the book so far?

What is your Why, by the way?

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 25 of 32

I've barely gotten started on the book so I don't have a lot of thoughts on it to report yet. I'm just excited to be a part of this because I love to learn from others. Plus this is one of those "working on the business, not in it" things that I struggle to keep a high priority on.

My "Why" is "Because of what we do for women". My business is a post-mastectomy boutique. We help women who have had breast cancer look and feel good during and after treatment. Our tagline is "Helping Women Feel Beautiful Again". Our mission statement is "Be Love, See Life, Shine Light". 

Thanks for asking!

Message 26 of 32

I have read this book before so my take aways might be slightly different. As a Personal Trainer I used the golden circle with every single one of my clients to figure out their true why and why they are working with me. I have actually used this idea for years when working with my clients. 

I would like to deepen my understanding of how to connect with my clients in hope to have a better way of helping them achieve something more than their goals but figuring out their true why!!!!

Message 27 of 32
Admin

Thanks for jumping in with us for a reread, @Myerst !

We'd love to hear your thoughts and perspective having already read the book.

That's so fantastic that you're not only using the system for your own business, but also to understand your clients' why and motivation. It's so cool that the same framework can be used in to completely different ways.

I'd love to hear what your why is for your business too-

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 28 of 32

I rsvp but do not see message or link to live chat for today

Message 29 of 32
Admin

Hey @Spicec1 -

So sorry you missed this!

It was at 4 pm Eastern, 1 pm Pacific, and the link was over on the Event Page.

Our next one will be in July and we'd love to have you there!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 30 of 32

I'm a little late to the table - just got the book today and will start listening to the audiobook version.  This is SO timely; in my main job we are doing a new strategic plan and the entire leadership team watched the TED Talk to help us get focused.  Going more in-depth in this book will help inform and energize our process.  My side hustle is a maple syrup farm.  Being super tiny and located at the edge of maple country (not Canada or New England), means our niche is artisan rather than wholesale.  Strictly "farm-to-fork" so knowing and communicating our "why" is absolutely essential as we strive to make the jump from side hustle to primary job.  Can't wait to dive in!

Message 31 of 32
Admin

No such thing as too late here -- thanks so much for jumping in @Sugarmaker1 !

That's fantastic that your team used the TED talk too! My team was also going back to basics to craft our mission statement, and we did the same. I'm so glad that reading this can help you in both your main job and your side hustle. So cool.

I love that you've found a cool niche for small batch syrup, and that's a fantastic goal to be able to take it full time. 

Communicating that can definitely be tricky and I hope that the book and our discussions here can help you with that. 

Looking forward to seeing you in more of our discussions-

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 32 of 32