x
Admin

Start with Why: Opening Discussion

Hey Square Readers,

Who’s ready to talk books?

giphy-downsized-large

We’ve already announced that our April & May 2023 book is Start with Why by Simon Sinek. Check out that first thread and read more about what to expect. 

We hope you picked up a copy and are excited to dive in!

Let’s start off here with some questions to keep in mind:
We'd love if you could jump into the comments to answer any or all of them as you go, and share your thoughts as you are reading the book.

1. What do you hope to learn from this book?
  2. Why do you think the Why is so important in running a business?

We can’t wait to hear your thoughts in the comments below.

We may repost your comments into our summary post at the end of the month.

And check out my comment to see my thoughts!

Keep checking back in this group throughout the next two months for some key insights, discussion questions, articles, videos, and more ways for you to learn and share. I'll be adding another discussion thread in early May with more questions and thoughts. 

See these threads for more discussions:

Happy reading,

Pesso

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Received my book on Saturday. WOW! Just finished chapter 2 last night and can't wait to get back to the book. How did I not know this stuff? 

My why is my family, my friends, my community. Has always been. If I can learn to serve them better, there's no telling how far my business can go. Great book so far. Definitely planning on sharing. 

Message 2 of 32
Admin

Thanks for reading and sharing, @Sharine ! So glad that you're getting so much out of it already.

What was it that you didn't know and learned so far?

I love that your why is serving the people you care about, that's huge! I can't wait to hear more about this as you read through!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 3 of 32

I should say what I didn't realize, not necessarily "not know". How easily we can manipulate and be manipulated without even thinking about it or realizing it.

I would rather inspire and that is going to be my goal. 

Can't wait to discover more from this book.

Thanks

Message 4 of 32
Admin

Right? That was huge for me too, @Sharine -- seeing how easily it all works, let alone that all of those traditional paths are basically just manipulations and not actually connections or viable long term strategies, was huge for me! Big eye openers! Inspiration is so much better.

Thanks so much for sharing! Can't wait to hear more from ya!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 5 of 32

Family, friends and community are wonderful core values, however they don't exactly convey your why. These fuel your why, its figuring out how to articulate 'that why' in a sentence(or a few). I'm currently struggling on how to do so myself. But the realization is eye opening and inspiring. Enjoy the rest of the book!

p.s. i may have finished the book already, and went down a rabbit hole of research on examples and how to write a good "why statement" hehe

Sam Castro
Message 6 of 32
Seller Community Mentor

I love it!  I often find myself running down multiple rabbit holes!

Message 7 of 32
Admin

Me too! Love a good research dive in!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 8 of 32
Admin

That's a good point and distinction, @scastrotattoo -- I also didn't really know that difference until getting further into the book. Sinek says the why should be or include a verb, an action word. The why is doing something that aligns with or for those core values. 

That's amazing that you've already finished the book! There's also the "sequel" by Sinek, Find Your Why, which seems like it may be more practical tips for writing it? I haven't read that one yet, so I can't know for sure, but could be worth a read!

Let us know what you find -- I'd love to link out to any great resources you come across.

And also let us know if you decide to read Find Your Why!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 9 of 32

I have repeatedly struggled with my mission statement over the years. It always sounds vague and phony, yet I am truly passionate about my practice and helping people. I hope to get to the core of my why, enabling me to express it simply, easily and clearly.

Message 10 of 32
Admin

Thanks for sharing, @DCdoc !

That passion for helping others is huge and an amazing foundation to build anything off of.

What has been your mission statement so far? I'd love to hear it, even if you think it sounds vague or not genuine -- and maybe someone here can help with it too!

Rooting for ya and extremely hopeful that the book can help you get to a place that you can express it in a way that better suits you. 

Looking forward to following your journey and hearing more from you as you go!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 11 of 32

Happy to help @DCdoc with mission and vision statements...

This is my second read of Start With Why; still finding lots of good insights.

Ted Sprague

Ted@JackTar.consulting

Message 12 of 32
Admin

Thanks for the jump in to help, @Schoonerbum -- I'm sure @DCdoc and others would love that!

What has stood out to you so far on the second read through?

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 13 of 32

To be honest, this was my 3rd choice from our selection.  But I am engrossed in this book. The concept of building your business around your "why" should be taught first to every new business owner. I've completed chapter 3 and have begun formulating my "why" and how I can make this evident to my potential clients. We're told at the beginning this isn't a how-to book, but it does make you think how to make the change in your business. 

Message 14 of 32

I'm listening to it on on Amazon Audio. It is a great thing to keep in mind when starting a business. 

Message 15 of 32
Admin

Thanks for sharing  @Spicec1 -- how's the listening going so far?

I'm glad that you're into it and see the value!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 16 of 32
Admin

I'm so glad that it's resonating with you so much, even though it was your last pick!

I definitely agree with that -- the Why and the drive is so important and definitely a must to start with!

I'm so glad that you're finding great stuff from it already and that it's inspiring you.

Thank you so much for sharing all of this, @TerriK -- I'd love to hear your draft Why's as you go through formulating it!
What do you have so far?

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 17 of 32

My slogan is, 'A flower shop where happiness blooms!"  I think that's my why, to help share some joy in this crazy world. I want to learn how to articulate that as a reason my shop stands out. 

My Google reviews all state how we go the extra mile but it doesn't feel like we do, it feels like we love what we do. 

Message 18 of 32
Admin

I love that slogan, @YBF !

Sharing joy and happiness through florals is an absolutely wonderful thing. 

When you love what you do and it doesn't feel like work, that's when you know you are going the extra mile. That reminds me of one of the quotes I pulled from the book into this Share Your Favorite Quote thread -- check it out!

Looking forward to following your journey through it in our discussions!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 19 of 32

I read this book a few years ago - I’m looking forward to picking up back up - then I formulated my why - empowering others to achieve things they didn’t think was possible by sharing knowledge and understanding. Creating a community that understands and cares for the world around us. 
It wasn’t those words exactly as I haven’t reread my notes but that is what my why is. I need to get better at communicating it though.

Message 20 of 32
Admin

I love that you've read it already and you're diving back into it with us- thank you!

Those are so beautiful and inspiring, @Pippin-and-Gile -- thank you so much for sharing! Definitely sounds like something I would want to join and be a part of. I love it.

I hope this re-read helps you get even better at communicating and already amazing why-

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts in all of our discussions as we go!

️ Aylon Pesso, he/him

Message 21 of 32