x
Admin

Vote for our June & July 2023 Book ๐Ÿ—ณ๏ธ๐Ÿ“˜

Hey Square Readers,

***VOTING HAS ENDED***

Check out our Announcement Post for our June & July 2023 book

Itโ€™s voting time!

giphy

Weโ€™re halfway through reading Start with Why by Simon Sinek, our Square Readers Book Club book for April and May. But letโ€™s start looking ahead to our next book for June and July 2023. 

We have 3 books to choose from, and weโ€™d love for you to vote to help us decide! 

Last time we focused on business foundations, but for this round weโ€™re diving into running your business. Weโ€™re choosing between Finances, Leadership, and Marketing books; all recommended by sellers like you!

1. Profit First by Mike Michalowicz 

โ€œA simple, counterintuitive cash management solution that will help small businesses break out of the doom spiral and achieve instant profitability. Just as the most effective weight loss strategy is to limit portions by using smaller plates, Michalowicz shows that by taking profit first and apportioning only what remains for expenses, entrepreneurs will transform their businesses from cash-eating monsters to profitable cash cows. Four simple principles can simplify accounting and make it easier to manage a profitable business. A small, profitable business can be worth much more than a large business surviving on its top line. Businesses that attain early and sustained profitability have a better shot at achieving long-term growth.โ€

2. Dare to Lead by Brene Brown 

โ€œLeadership is not about titles, status and power over people. Leaders are people who hold themselves accountable for recognising the potential in people and ideas, and developing that potential. Over the past seven years, Brene Brown found that leaders in organizations ranging from small entrepreneurial start-ups and family-owned businesses to non-profits, civic organizations and Fortune 50 companies, are asking the same questions: How do you cultivate braver, more daring leaders? And, how do you embed the value of courage in your culture? Dare to Lead answers these questions and gives us actionable strategies and real examples from her new research-based, courage-building programme.โ€

3. The 1-Page Marketing Plan by Allan Dib 

โ€œTo build a successful business, you need to stop doing random acts of marketing and start following a reliable plan for rapid business growth. Traditionally, creating a marketing plan has been a difficult and time-consuming process, which is why it often doesn't get done. Whether you're just starting out or are an experienced entrepreneur, you'll discover: How to get new customers and how make more profit from existing ones; how to close sales without being pushy; how to make yourself the only logical choice; how to get amazing results on a small budget; how to charge high prices for your products and services and have customers actually thank you for it.โ€

Which of these do you most want to read first? 

Vote by filling out this Google Forms survey! 

While weโ€™re voting by survey this time , feel free to tell us why youโ€™re excited about a particular book in the comments below. 

And if you have any suggestions of other books, drop them in the comments too and weโ€™ll take a look and consider them for the next round in August and September. 

We announced the winning book on Monday, May 15th, and start reading it in June. 

We canโ€™t wait to read with you!

Pesso

๏œ๏ธ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Message 1 of 27
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thank you to all 136 of you for voting for our June & July 2023 book!

After tallying up the votes, we have a clear winner. 

You chose The 1-Page Marketing Plan by Allan Dib as our Square Readers Book Club book for June & July!

Pesso_0-1684159767795.png

Head over to the Book Announcement Post for all of the details.

We can't wait to read with you,

Pesso

View Best Answer >

Message 27 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Admin

Personally, I'm leaning towards #2, Dare to Lead by Brene Brown. While I've managed folks my whole life, I absolutely know that I have a lot to learn. I think everyone can always learn more about leadership and how to relate to those around you. I've also never actually read any Brene Brown books, and a few of hers have been on my list for forever, so I'm excited to dive in! 

What about you?

Message 2 of 27
Super Seller

Please please please...fingers crossed that #1 Profits First wins!!!  I just bought the book and it would be awesome to read it together with you guys ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 3 of 27

I have read this and started implementing it in the past.  I want to get back to it especially as new business opportunities are coming forward.  This would be great!!!

Message 4 of 27
Admin

That's so great that you read it and implemented some of it, @ChristieGoing !

What have been some of your biggest takeaways from it?

Message 5 of 27
Super Seller

I read Profit First, I listened to the Audio Book and I am implementing it this month. As I found the right bank that knows about Profit First

Implementation takes a while as you have to widdle down your expenses and payments of current bills with your old bank before you can do this huge step.

I recommend this for all small/medium-sized businesses.

Renรฉ

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 6 of 27
Super Seller

I absolutely ADORE Brene Brown!

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 7 of 27

I am currently reading Daring Greatly!  Brene' is awesome! 

Message 8 of 27
Admin

Thanks for sharing, @ChristieGoing !
How's that one?

Message 9 of 27
Admin

I've heard such great things! I'll definitely have to dive in either way.

What have been your favorites of hers, @DLRosenberg ?

Message 10 of 27

I'm excited to dive into #3 because marketing has been something I've really been looking for help on. I think this book is perfect for us during these times of so much change. Since marketing entails so many different things to consider, I'm excited to figure out more detail about what I should be considering and how I should be going about things. I haven't been marketing much because I feel like I want to learn so it is efficient and I'm not just throwing things out there to do it. 

Message 11 of 27
Admin

Thanks @Moreplease -- that's a really good point! There are so many ways to "do marketing" since it's such a huge all encompassing area, with so many strategies that do and don't work based on so many factors. 

Hopefully this book can help!

A lot of it is also trial and error, but hopefully we can all be efficient with it without too much wasted time, money, and effort!

Rooting for ya-

Message 12 of 27
Beta Member

I just read Profit First and am starting to implement it in my business. I'd love to read it again together and find ways that Square can help me implement some of the steps related to sales levels and margin. 

Message 13 of 27
Admin

Hey @cyerges -

I love that you've read it and are starting to implement some of it already -- and that you're up to do it again!

What have been some of the most impactful bits so far for you?

Message 14 of 27

The 1-Page Marketing Plan looks like exactly what I need right now.  I am THE WORST at asking for money and making sales - which is a real problem for a business owner, lol.  I get bogged down in the weeds when trying to figure out ads, sales, marketing, etc...   Figuring out the best ROI for different ads or marketing approaches can be incredibly time-consuming and in-person contact for business-to-business sales is always a little nerve-wracking.  This book appears practical and useful.

The survey didn't have this option, but my 2nd pick would be Profit First.  Always useful to see unique approaches to accounting and profit-taking, although the description makes it sound a little "too good to be true", so I wonder if it's hokey. 

I've already read the Brenรฉ Brown book, so that would be my last choice.  It's good, but kind of emotional, self-help-ish.  Not necessarily helpful for those who are already very self-confident. 

Message 15 of 27
Admin

Thanks so much for sharing, @Sugarmaker1 !

I definitely feel the challenge around putting yourself out there as a business out there and what feels like asking for money. I felt a lot of that hesitation and sometimes awkwardness. The way I looked at it is instead of seeing it as asking for money, instead just showing and explaining what I'm providing and offering. The book we're reading right now, Start with Why by Simon Sinek really helps me with that too -- "People don't buy what you do, they buy why you do it." I'm not asking for money for what I'm selling, I'm showing my why and if they resonate, they'll offer money. 

You're 100% right on the mark with all of the in-the-weeds elements of marketing. There's sooo much there, so many different strategies, and so much evaluation to do. I'm also hoping that the 1 Page Marketing Plan can help with that! 

A lot of folks recommended Profit First, and I'm super curious about it too. And I appreciate the insight into the Brene Brown book!

Thanks for popping in your ranking too. We're going with a straight majority for these votes, but I'm definitely keeping in mind the runners up and after a few rounds will put some of them back into the rotations and votings, especially the more folks ask for them! 

Looking forward to seeing what books gets picked!

Message 16 of 27

I choose # 3 because I like when Allen Dib , say's we all need to stop doing random acts of marketing and start following a reliable plan. This is what I need to start doing myself so I can totally relate. This will be my first book to read by him, its looks very interesting. Have a great weekend everyone. Happy Mothers day to any mothers on this platform.

Message 17 of 27
Admin

Thanks for sharing @Granny1 -

I definitely can relate to it too, and hopefully it can help you and a lot of others too!

I hope you had a great mothers' day also-

Message 18 of 27

If I hadnโ€™t already read Profit First, I would have voted for it. I love all of Mikeโ€™s books and enjoy listening to his podcast. Iโ€™ve read several of Brene Brownโ€™s books and very familiar with her philosophy so, I voted for #3. I canโ€™t say it would be my first choice BUT I have been working on a marketing strategy and think this book may be helpful. 

Message 19 of 27
Admin

Thanks for sharing, @CarissaD !

What would have been your first choice if you could choose any book (or one from our Bookshelf)?

Hopefully the marketing book will help!

Thanks again!

Message 20 of 27
Beta Member

I voted to read the 1-Page Marketing Plan as a group- this is my next critical business need. I actually already have it keyed up to read now. I just finished Profit First, which I wish I had read prior to opening my shop. It's a great book and would love if Square could provide multiple savings accounts options that align to the Profit First principles. I already use this feature for my sales tax and increased the percentage pull to help pocket $ aside. (Btw, his audio book is easy listening, just need to print out a few of his charts to follow those specific discussions.)

Message 21 of 27