x
Admin

Vote on our First Book for April & May ๐Ÿ—ณ๏ธ๐Ÿ“˜

Hey Square Readers, 

Welcome to the Square Readers Book Club!

Me with all of our book options.Me with all of our book options.

***VOTING HAS ENDED***

Check out our Announcement Post for our first book for April & May 2023

Weโ€™re so excited to kick things off and dive into reading together! But first, we need your help to pick our first book.

These are all books geared towards business owners like you, with strategies that can help run your businesses better. And of course, weโ€™ll all share our own experiences along the way.

Weโ€™re starting with 3 books to choose from for our first book for April & May, and weโ€™d love for you to help us decide!

1. Start with Why by Simon Sinek

"Why do you do what you do? Any organization can explain what it does; some can explain how they do it; but very few can clearly articulate why. WHY is not money or profitโ€”those are always results. WHY does your organization exist? WHY does it do the things it does? WHY do customers really buy from one company or another? Starting with WHY works in big business and small business, in the nonprofit world and in politics. Drawing on a wide range of real-life stories, Sinek weaves together a clear vision of what it truly takes to lead and inspire.โ€

2. The E-Myth Revisited by Michael E. Gerber

โ€œSmall business consultant and author Michael E. Gerber, with sharp insight gained from years of experience, points out how common assumptions, expectations, and even technical expertise can get in the way of running a successful business. Gerber walks you through the steps in the life of a businessโ€”from entrepreneurial infancy through adolescent growing pains to the mature entrepreneurial perspective: the guiding light of all businesses that succeedโ€”and shows how to apply the lessons of franchising to any business, whether or not it is a franchise. Most importantly, Gerber draws the vital, often overlooked distinction between working on your business and working in your business.โ€

3. Competing Against Luck by Clayton M. Christensen

โ€œHow do companies know how to grow? How can they create products that they are sure customers want to buy? Can innovation be more than a game of hit and miss? Customers donโ€™t buy products or services; they "hire" them to do a job. The "Jobs to Be Done" approach can be seen in some of the worldโ€™s most respected companies and fast-growing startups, including Amazon, Intuit, Uber, Airbnb, and Chobani yogurt, to name just a few. By understanding what causes customers to "hire" a product or service, any business can improve its innovation track record, creating products that customers not only want to hire, but that theyโ€™ll pay premium prices to bring into their lives.โ€

Which one do you want to read first?

Vote by putting the number 1, 2, or 3 (or the book name) in the comments below!

What else is on your list? Do you have any business books youโ€™ve been wanting to read? Put your suggestions in the comments below and weโ€™ll take a look and consider them for the next round for June & July.

Stay tuned, weโ€™ll announce the first book and start things off on Monday, April 3rd!

Make sure you click Join Group at the top of our Book Club Group Hub.

Also head over and help us pick a day & time for our Live Video Chat Discussion!

We canโ€™t wait to read with you!

Pesso

***VOTING HAS ENDED***

Check out our Announcement Post for our first book for April & May 2023

๏œ๏ธ Aylon Pesso, he/him
Small Business Evangelist, Square

Join the Square Readers Book Club
Message 1 of 920
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey Square Readers!

Thank you all so much for voting! The results were close with 799 of you voting.

After counting all of them myself (next time I'm definitely doing a poll instead of comments!!), we have a winner:

Square Readers Book Club_ April & May Book Votes.png

So many of you wanted to get back to basics, so we're going to be starting with the why with Start with Why by Simon Sinek

Check out our announcement thread with all of the info.

We can't wait to read with you,

Pesso

View Best Answer >

Message 916 of 920
919 REPLIES 919
Super Seller

Iโ€™ll nominate โ€œThe E-Myth Revisited.โ€  Oh, and thanks for the hot links to Goodreads!

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piperโ€™s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook

โ€œTake what you like, take what works, leave the rest!โ€
Message 2 of 920
Admin

Terrific, thanks @TheRealChipA !

Glad you liked the Goodreads link! I use it to keep track of what I read, and a great place to see summaries, reviews, and all that to help pick books. 

Thanks for joining-

Message 3 of 920

I vote for "start with why" as the first book, getting back to the roots of why we do what we do.  Order of preference 1,3,2.  

Message 4 of 920
Admin

Thanks so much @Nickyh1979 ! I love the thought of getting back to basics and roots!

Message 5 of 920
Beta Member

No.1 Start with Why

Message 6 of 920

Agree with your choices @Nickyh1979 

Message 7 of 920

That's the same order I would read!

Message 8 of 920

Message 9 of 920

I second your vote 

Message 10 of 920

Agreed! 

Message 11 of 920

I echo your response, Nicky1979. Knowing your why and starting, there is a great base and way to think about your business. 

Message 12 of 920

That is my pick as well!

Message 13 of 920

I agree

Message 14 of 920

I agree

Message 15 of 920

I vote 1, 3, 2. Super excited

Message 16 of 920

#1 and thanks for a great reading list in general! 

Message 17 of 920

Message 18 of 920

I tried to comment my choices but it wouldnโ€™t let me so Iโ€™m responding here.

I choose 

1. Competing Against Luck

2. Start with Why

3. The e-Myth Revisited

Message 19 of 920

Yes thats me for as well

1. Competing Against Luck

2. Start with Why

3. The e-Myth Revisited

Message 20 of 920

Same for me. Start with 3. Competing Against Luck

Message 21 of 920