x
Beta Member

Square Register Issues

We have two register screens and both are messing up every day.

One of them will turn itself off randomly and will not turn back on unless we unplug it and plug it back in or hard reset it. For the hour or two that it is working after resetting it, the customer display screen does not work. Then the whole thing will turn off again and won't turn back on. We ordered all new wires and plugs and that did not help.

The other screen will close the cash drawer on its own and prints out a drawer report. Then it tells us we cannot start a new drawer because "cash management" is not turned on. But cash management is on. We have to restart the system multiple times for it to let us start a drawer again. Then after the next cash sale, it closes the drawer automatically again and will not let us start it back again. Over and over again. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller

@shirleydawgs Are you by chance Beta testing anything that has to do with Square register. If so I would double check any updates or file a bug within the beta community. You may also try factory resetting the registers. 1 At a time so you can still do business and see if that helps with the problem. 

Tap the down arrow on your Register and tap Settings. Tap Hardware > General > About Register. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap Factory Reset > Confirm Factory Reset. Tap Reset one last time.

Lovewell Tea & Coffee//
Ventura, Ca

https://www.lovewellteaandcoffee.com/
Message 2 of 8
Beta Member

I don't think we have any betas running right now. And yea, we tried factory resetting, it did not help unfortunately. 

Message 3 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for jumping in here and sharing these tips, @Lovewell!

@shirleydawgs, can I ask whether you receive any error messages when you notice these issues occur, such as 'Square Point of Sale Isn't Responding'? 

Here are a few things we can get you to try on your end so we can determine whether this is a hardware or software issue.

1. Plug your registers into a different power outlet and process a test cash payment. Does this issue still occur with the drawer closing?

2. Try plugging the register power cable into the other micro-USB port on the bottom of the Seller Display. Does the behaviour change at all?
3. Next, press and hold the power button for at least 40 seconds to force a factory reset. Once this has been completed, log in again and process a test cash payment. Does the issue with the drawer still occur? 

You may have already tried some of the above steps, and if that's the case, and you're still not seeing a change, you will need to reach out to our Support Team to receive further assistance.

If you'd like to speak with our Support Team by phone, you can give us a call at 1-855-700-6000 between 6 am - 6 pm Pacific Time Monday - Friday. If you call outside of these hours, you will be required to enter your Customer Code to validate your account.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 8
Beta Member

No error messages. When the customer display cuts off on the one register, it will say “customer display error” but that’s all.

I’ve tried tips 1 & 3 before and they kept on. The one register that kept closing the drawer hasn’t done it this week so far. The day it kept doing that was this past Saturday, but I did try a different power outlet that day and it kept on. Before that it had only happened once before, a couple weeks ago. But both of those days it was constant all day long. It is very random.

I will try the second tip about changing the micro usb port on the register that keeps turning off and see if that helps. 

Message 5 of 8

Got it, thanks for providing this information @shirleydawgs, and for proactively troubleshooting this issue on your end!

Okay, coming back to the customer display, do you currently have the display docked when you notice it cuts off or is it undocked when this happens? If it's been docked the entire time, undock and connect the customer display via USB cable. This can help us diagnose whether it is an issue with the docked position only.

The cash drawer sounds like it was coinciding with a few service disruptions we were seeing last week, so I'm hoping since you factory reset the device around the time our engineering team rolled out a fix for these issues, this has resolved the issue for now. That being said, if you notice it happens again please let me know so I can run this by my team. It's certainly not expected behaviour.

I'll continue to monitor this thread for your response. Hopefully, we can get to the bottom of this soon! Thanks for your patience while we work through these steps.

Laurie
Message 6 of 8
Beta Member

Hey! Thank you for checking back! It was not docked until today. We had it separated. But I plugged the power into the other micro usb port today and docked the customer display. But on my screen, it still said display error. And on the customer screen, it said “update required” but i looked in settings and it did not say a new update was available. 

Also, plugging into the other micro-USB still did not fix. It stayed on for about 4 hours and then started turning off and on over and over again. I unplugged it and switched to a different outlet and I couldn’t get it to even turn on. So I factory reset it with the button and it just went back to restarting over and over again. We can’t even get it to turn on now. 

Message 7 of 8

Hi, @shirleydawgs, thanks for clarifying.

This issue you've described usually only occurs when the Customer Displays between Square Registers have been swapped. Sometimes they end up on different software update schedules, and the resulting software version mismatch causes that 'Update Required' message to be displayed. 

We're a little limited on how we can continue troubleshooting this issue with you via the Seller Community platform, as we'll need to confirm the device serial numbers against what we can see on your Square Account. Our team may also request a diagnostic report from both devices and can walk you through these steps over the phone.

When you call, you can reference this thread and the steps we've already gone through. The advocate you speak with may still need to revisit some of these steps, but it gives them a better idea of where we are in trying to resolve this for you.

You can reach out Support Team by phone at 1-855-700-6000 between 6 am - 6 pm Pacific Time Monday - Friday. If you call outside of these hours, you will be required to enter your Customer Code to validate your account.

If for any reason our Support Team are unable to resolve this for you, please feel free to reach back out to us in this thread so we can follow up. 

Thanks, and all of the best with your call!

Laurie
Message 8 of 8