x

Can the sale be rounded to the nearest quarter?

We run a brewery and restaurant, to keep things fast and moving, we try to round all of our prices to the nearest $0.25. Is there a way in the system to force all transactions to the nearest quarter? This would allow us to keep the change drawer optimized during high volume.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller

No that is not a feature of Square Register.  

You could work out the prices of individual items plus tax to be in even quarter amounts.  

examples

1. a beer that sells for $3 plus 10% tax costs $3.30 total, but a beer that costs $2.95 plus 10% tax costs $3.25.

2 a sandwich that sells for $6.50 plus 10% tax is $7.15, but a sandwich that sells for $6.59 plus 10% tax costs $7.25.

It wouldn't take that much work to make things work out to even quarter amounts, plus I personally don't want to go to the cashier and have a bill of $19.80 and get no change even though it's "just" 20 cents.

Message 2 of 12
Super Seller

@VanKalkerFarms is on to something. I wonder if the most straightforward path might be to include tax in the price inside Square. You'd need to go through your current menu and check each final price, then modify the entire menu by rounding the price up and telling square to include taxes. 

Include Tax in Item Prices

When sales tax is included with item prices, tax is treated as something that the store owner will need to pay, rather than the customer. Sales tax is displayed on order receipts but not added to the total price.

To include tax in prices:

1. Go to the Square Online Overview page.

2. Go to Shared Settings > Sales Taxes.

3. In the Order-level taxes area, check the box for Taxes are included in item prices.

Take care of yourself and, as life provides, someone else too.
Message 3 of 12
Beta Member

Yah, but our tax rate is 8.875%.  There is NO clean way that I can find to have transactions land on clean amounts.....
It would be GREAT if we could have a "Price WITH tax" that could be implemented.

Message 4 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hey, @TheCrazyAxe

Square does have the option to include tax in the price and it's pretty simple to set up using our Create and Manage Sales Tax guide.

How to Create Sales Tax Online on the Square Dashboard:

1. Go to Account & Settings from your online Square Dashboard.
  2. Click Business information > Sales taxes.
  3. Click Create tax.
  4. Enter the tax name, rate and select the location.
  5. Choose All taxable items to apply the tax to all current and future taxable items in your library, or choose Select items to pick specific items. You can also apply the tax to custom amounts and include a service charge.
  6. Choose Add an exemption rule to specify when this tax shouldn't be applied.
  7. Choose Include tax in item price to show one amount: the combined sales tax and item price. If toggled off, the tax will display as a separate line item.
  8. Click Save.
JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 12
Beta Member

But the goal would be to get an item to an even amount AFTER having sales tax applied.   What I would LOVE to be able to do is tell Square I want the cost to be $8 for an item after tax, then it calculates what the actual retail price is to make that work.

Message 6 of 12

Trying to see if I am following you @TheCrazyAxe. You would like to have your products at even prices but have the tax included on them?

JJ
Message 7 of 12
Beta Member

Exactly right.  The goal would be to eliminate much of the need/waste of time dealing with pennies/nickels and maybe even dimes.  Nothing we sell is so commoditized or price-sensitive that we couldn't do that.  

Message 8 of 12

Ok, then what I shared above is just what you need. You would need to revisit your current Sales Tax configuration and change the Tax Calculation setting to "Included tax in item price"

I hope this information is helpful @TheCrazyAxe!

JJ
Message 9 of 12
Beta Member

Correct me if I'm wrong.... But that means that our customers will, when they're ordering in-store from the QR code and also on the receipt will just see the whole price with the tax included correct?

That's not what I want.  What I want is to say that a beer should be $6.50 WITH tax.  I still want my customers see that I am only charging them $5.92 for it.  

Message 10 of 12
Beta Member

People are conditioned to see prices pre-tax.  It would make me look almost 9% higher than I am....

Message 11 of 12

Gotcha! Yeah so in this case this isn't currently possible. I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Message 12 of 12