x

Is there a way to text a customer that their order is ready for pick up?

We expanded our small business (food trailer) this year which included using the square register with kitchen tickets. Since our business, at this moment, is strictly set up for events (fairs, festivals, etc.) I was thinking it would be neat to take the order and give the customer a number but instead of them waiting (unless they want to), text them a notice their food is ready to pick up. That way they won't have to keep checking back, they can enjoy their selves where they are at. Is that something I can do with square or is there another app that works with square?

Thanks!

Donna

Message 1 of 97
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

We introduced this feature back in June, but this thread didn't receive an update!

When customers using Curbside Pickup arrive at your location, they can alert you of their arrival via text. You will see an arrival alert in your Square Point of Sale - with identifying information - so you are able to deliver food to your customers at the curb. 

To enable the text message notification feature, navigate to Settings > Pickup & Delivery from your Square Online Overview page, and set up each location individually. Click the Set up button to start, then below Enable Pickup, you’ll see a toggle you can turn ON that allows your customers to send you a text message notification.

If you haven't already toggled this on, head here to learn more about how it works! 🎉

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 12 of 97
96 REPLIES 96

Hi everyone,

My company, TablesReady, has integrated with Square to allow you to text your customers when their order is ready. Essentially, you just need to attach a customer to a transaction (create one with a name and phone number if they're new), then when the transaction is complete, the data will pull into TablesReady. From the TablesReady app, you can click to text customers with a message that you customize.

You can learn more about the integration here: https://blog.tablesready.com/integrating-your-waitlist-with-square/

We've got a bunch of people using it successfully so far. Give it a try!

Mike

CEO of TablesReady

Message 43 of 97

Just a thought too guys, you can get a name and number and use that for the name of the order.  Then just type up a generic message and send to each person when their order is ready.  Obviously would be way better to have it automatically do this when you click an order off kds or thru square but also basically free workaround instead of paying for a subscription to another service!

Message 44 of 97

I agree, this would be a cool feature!

Message 45 of 97
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your voice here, @FatAlbert1! We will continue to update this thread as news about this Feature becomes available. Thanks, again!

Joe
Message 46 of 97

This feature to text when orders are ready should be expedited because of COVID. Customers are waiting outside the store and don’t want a pager system them have to touch. 

the times call for extraordinary measures, let’s step up square and help us restaurants try and compete!

Message 47 of 97

Couldn't agree more!

Message 48 of 97
Beta Member

Is this feature headed to square anytime soon? It is something that would make life so much easier when their food is ready at the food truck instead of along line. 

Message 49 of 97

I believe you can but only for orders that come through online via the weebly online order.

And even then it is not really functional as you have to have Orders open and progress
through some workflow - like Mark in Progress, Order Ready and Completed.

What most small restaurants need is a simple button on the order that says - Text Customer
You then should be able to customize the message.

Most all other POS systems have this very basic feature.   Its 2020.   Text has been around for a long time - so no inventions needed. 

Message 50 of 97
Alumni

Hi @BellaTerra,

Thank you for expressing this feedback. While we have no public timeline to share on any product updates, please know our teams are monitoring these inquiries and will be sure to let you know of any new features that are built out. 

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 51 of 97
Beta Member

I have a solution - https://notifycustomers.net 

Message 52 of 97
Beta Member

Hi, I searched on here and looked through settings. Is there a way for a customer to check in that they arrived to pick up their order? If this feature exists it would help improve workflow by working on customers orders that have already arrived first.

Message 53 of 97

Hey @schemjo thank you for asking! At this time we do not have a way for a customer to check in when they have arrived for a pickup order. This could be really useful for busy times though so that business' have more details on who has arrived for an order. 

I will share this feedback with the Development Team and will merge any other requests for the same thing into this thread. Thank you!

AshleyK
Message 54 of 97
Beta Member

I have a solution that will be available in the marketplace very soon - https://notifycustomers.net 

You can complete the contact form on the home page, and I'm happy to reach out to all of you individually if you have additional questions.

Message 55 of 97

Does anyone know the best way to let customers know their food is ready. I am trying to figure out a way to text via square when food is ready

Message 56 of 97

Hey there, @foodtolove

Thank you for adding your voice to the Community. 

I moved your post to a thread where sellers have asked about a similar feature. 

Right now, this would be a Feature Request, but I will be able to post here with a Product Update. 

Have a great day!

Kassi
Message 57 of 97

We have been waiting for this feature as well and have been seriously considering switching POS systems because of this.

Fingers crosses our voice will be heard 🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

Message 58 of 97
Beta Member

Message 59 of 97

Is there an easy way either with square or a third party app to easily notify a customer that their food is ready to be picked up?  We've closed our dining room and installed a takeout window due to covid-19 and getting customers attention has been challenging when we are busy.  We are using the square proprietary POS hardware and it would be great if we could hand the screen to them to input their number for text notifications when their order is ready.  

If there's an ipad app that works for folks as well we'd give that a shot.  Any thoughts?

Message 60 of 97
Super Seller

Hello @Basilisk 

Are you taking advantage of the free Online Store Square offers their merchants? Click on the Online Store link on your dashboard to get set up.

When you customers order off the online store, they are asked if they want to receive order updates. If they opt in, when you hit the "Order Ready" link on the order, your customer will get a text alert.

As for phone-in orders, there isn't an easy way to do this quite yet, but you could email them if the customer is in your customer database already.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 61 of 97

Hi Ryan, thanks for getting back to me.  We are using the online store and the notification functionality works perfectly.  We deal with lots of call in and walk up customers and converting those orders to the online order system for notifications would be the most helpful improvement.  The issue is people hearing us and/or paying attention.  Email might work but I really don't want to collect anything other than a phone number.  Might look into a 3rd party app for text notification.

Message 62 of 97

We have the same issue, I second that hope for an easy way to text someone when an order is ready. Did you find any 3rd party apps that work for you?

Message 63 of 97