x

Does Payroll handle Child Support dispersements?

I currently use PAYCHEX and they charge extra for this service. I have staff that need this function, so I would like to know if Payroll is able to include this in their processing?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 17
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Richard3 and @TechnaKILL, I have an update for you! Square payroll is slowly rolling out post-tax deductions and garnishments. Once a deduction is set up, we’ll deduct the indicated amount from each employee's paycheck and leave it in your bank account. For wage garnishments, you’ll be responsible for making payments to the appropriate government agency after each pay cycle.

For all the details on setting it up in your dashboard, make sure to read through our Support Center article: Square Payroll: Post-Tax Deductions And Garnishments. Since this is slowly rolling out, if you're interested, let us know so that we can enable it on your account. 

Hope this makes sense, and feel free to comment back here with any questions! 

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

I have the exact same question but can't seem to get a reply yet. I'm thinking of switching to Square but I need to know if they can do this and if they charge for it.

Message 2 of 17
Super Seller

I don't see anything like this on the Payroll information. I don't think it's an option. Square Payroll seems pretty bare bones. https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5831-square-payroll-features

Message 3 of 17
Square

@Richard3 @TechnaKILL - We do not currently provide the ability to withhold post-tax deductions, such as garnishments, from the wages of employees paid by direct deposit. However, you can follow these instructions to accurately garnish wages for employees paid by manual check: http://www.childsup.ca.gov/Portals/0/employer/docs/EmployerHndbk.pdf (this is specific to California, each state has their own instructions). 

Garnishments can be made by deducting the garnishment amount from the employee’s net pay. If you do garnish an employee’s pay, you must provide them with an updated pay stub containing the details of the garnishment.

Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 17
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Richard3 and @TechnaKILL, I have an update for you! Square payroll is slowly rolling out post-tax deductions and garnishments. Once a deduction is set up, we’ll deduct the indicated amount from each employee's paycheck and leave it in your bank account. For wage garnishments, you’ll be responsible for making payments to the appropriate government agency after each pay cycle.

For all the details on setting it up in your dashboard, make sure to read through our Support Center article: Square Payroll: Post-Tax Deductions And Garnishments. Since this is slowly rolling out, if you're interested, let us know so that we can enable it on your account. 

Hope this makes sense, and feel free to comment back here with any questions! 

Message 5 of 17

Stop charge me $15 a month

Message 6 of 17
Alumni

@Shine5610, are you enrolled for one of our subscription products? You can check this page in your dashboard to see if you have an active subscription and disable it there. Please let us know if you have any other questions! 

Message 7 of 17

I am trying to add a deduction to one of my employees. I do not see the section for deductions. 

Message 8 of 17

Hello @JMO

This feature is being rolled out slowly to all sellers. I've gone ahead and enabled it on your account, so you should see it now! 

Make sure to view your employees under the Payroll Tab on your Square Dashboard. If you run into any issues please let me know. 😃

Message 9 of 17

Its there now. Thank you for your help!

Message 10 of 17

@JMO you're welcome! 😃

Message 11 of 17

can i submit child support payments thru my square payroll?

Message 12 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hi @IsabeleRangel - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! 

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding payroll information in regards to child support. Take a look at this Best Answer from that same thread for more information.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 17

I tried adding a garnishment for withholding income for child support, but I can't save the changes because it asks me to choose a health care option.  What is the correct way to add an Administrative Writ of Withholding?

Message 14 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hey @karenmstearns,

I moved your post to an existing thread that goes over this.

Check out the Best Answer above. 

Ashley C
Message 15 of 17

I received an order/notice for child support for an employee. Does square enable me to ensure the deduction is taken out of the employee check and paid electronically to the state of Georgia?

Message 16 of 17
Alumni

Hey there @wmg - thanks for stopping by! 

Found your answer on this thread. Take a look 🙂

Justin
Message 17 of 17