x

How do I set up an ordering station where tickets can be closed on the terminal

We have a POS terminal which we have used for three years and really like it. But with our drive thru increasing I need to have a second terminal to take orders so that we can move the drive thru line quicker than we have in the past years. How do I do this. I can't seem to get any communication to the terminal from a second device. What am I missing. I have set up open tickets.

So here is what we want to do. We are an ice cream shop. We have one drive up window and one walk up window. In the past we have taken orders at the drive up window and fulfilled them as the car sat at the window. We expect to see an increase in drive up with the pandemic when we open. We would like to put someone outside to take orders- say four cars back and have those orders sent to kitchen printer, paid of CC,  and if using cash pay at drive up window when picking up order. Is this possible?

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey there @pft

To accomplish what you're looking to do, visit the Terminal Settings > External Printers to configure kitchen printer stations and enable Print Order Tickets for each device taking orders outside. Then, go back into settings and turn on Open Tickets for each device. That way orders can be opened and closed on any Terminal.

How it works:

When your employee takes an ice cream order outside, they can accept payment right there for customers that want to pay with CC. Once the sale is complete, the ticket will print to the kitchen for prep.

For customers that want to pay Cash, the employee will Save the ticket instead of charging them so the ticket prints to the kitchen for prep. When the customer reaches the window for pickup, the next employee can open their ticket and close out as a cash payment. 

Keep in mind - the only way this configuration will work smoothly is if the Terminals are within range of internet. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Alumni

Best Answer

Hey there @pft

To accomplish what you're looking to do, visit the Terminal Settings > External Printers to configure kitchen printer stations and enable Print Order Tickets for each device taking orders outside. Then, go back into settings and turn on Open Tickets for each device. That way orders can be opened and closed on any Terminal.

How it works:

When your employee takes an ice cream order outside, they can accept payment right there for customers that want to pay with CC. Once the sale is complete, the ticket will print to the kitchen for prep.

For customers that want to pay Cash, the employee will Save the ticket instead of charging them so the ticket prints to the kitchen for prep. When the customer reaches the window for pickup, the next employee can open their ticket and close out as a cash payment. 

Keep in mind - the only way this configuration will work smoothly is if the Terminals are within range of internet. 

Justin
Message 2 of 6

Thanks! I called and we are doing exactly this. There are a few hiccups but I think I have found some work arounds! 

Message 3 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for reaching back out here and letting us know, @ptf! Glad you got this one solved. Let us know if anything else comes up - we are here to help!

Cheers! 

Joe
Message 4 of 6

Hello:

I'm considering adding a square terminal to the square stand I have already have,  I'm wondering if the terminal will print to the kitchen printer or if it prints its own ticket.  

Message 5 of 6
Admin

@mkhop-bsc2020 Take a peek at JustinC's answer on this thread. Following the steps he outlined should get you on the right track!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 6 of 6