x

How to tare in yogurt cup

I have a frozen yogurt store and I am wondering how everyone is taking off for the weight of the cup (tare weight) so the customer is not paying for the cup also.

Right now I have the MG-S8200 scale and will use it for weighing of the yogurt. I was then going to use a discount button to take off the weight of the cup.

Is anyone else using this method?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

I have not used that particular scale.  However, I would assume you can set a persistent tare corrections in the scale.  This would not be an appropriate place to muck up your accounting using a discount.

Message 2 of 6

Would a negative modifier work better if available? We have multiple cups that have different tare weights. The discount method only allows it to be applied to single cup transaction.

Message 3 of 6
Square Community Moderator

This is a large feature request, but no, a negative modifier wouldn't work as it isn't available. One thing you can do is have a variable discount, which will allow you to add up the tare discount(s) in the event that there is more than one cup. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 6

Just got off phone support. 
Still no way to tare different sized frozen yogurt cups. 

I bought Square specifically for my self serve frozen yogurt shop and this is a frustrating deal-breaker. 

If I could just assign a negative value to an item, issue would be resolved. 

Message 5 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hi Sellers! 👋

We’re excited to announce that you can now deduct tare weights from items sold by weight directly through your Square for Retail point of sale.

This new tare functionality allows you to remove the weight of containers or other packaging that shouldn’t be included in what you charge your customers; something that could previously only be managed on the scale itself.

After you place an item on your connected scale and select it to add to cart, you’ll see an option to Set tare. You can enter the container’s tare weight that will be subtracted from the scale’s measured weight. Once the tare is set, and the item is added, the cart will then display the net weight used to calculate the price.

Note: Tare weight can only be subtracted and cannot exceed the measured weight.

Additionally, the customer’s receipt will also display both the net weight and any applicable tare weight while your inventory will be decreased by net weight only.

We hope this will streamline how you sell items by weight, and speed up checkout for you and your customers.

To learn more see our Help article.

Note: This feature is available to all sellers using Square for Retail and a supported scale. The new cart experience must also be enabled on each of your devices in Settings > Favorites.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 6