x

Is there an option for loyalty points to be earned on specific menu items only?

I own a coffe house and need to set loyalty points for drinks purchased.  Not total spent. Is there a way to set points to be rewarded only on specific menu items? Like:1 punch per drink ordered?  I can't used the total spent because we also sell merchandise. I don't want to give rewards for anything but drinks. 

Message 1 of 95
2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Is there an option for loyalty points to be earned on specific menu items only?

Hi y'all!

You can now exclude specific items or categories so that customers are only earning points on the items you select 

Learn more by heading to this post by @Helen where she outlines the details ~ as always, let us know if questions come up.

Verified Answer

Re: prevent rewards from being used on specific items

While it isn't currently possible to exclude specific items from loyalty redemption per-say, you do have some adjustable settings when editing the Redeeming Rewards portion of your Loyalty program, @kaliann91.

Instead of selecting Discount Entire Sale, you could choose any of the other options as Reward Types to ensure that the items you do not want to be discounted will not be included as a reward. I hope this helps!

1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi y'all!

You can now exclude specific items or categories so that customers are only earning points on the items you select 

Learn more by heading to this post by @Helen where she outlines the details ~ as always, let us know if questions come up.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 95 of 95
94 REPLIES 94

Thank you!!! That's great! Yay!! 

I still think asking for phone number prior to checkout should be an option. This might be a fix to the phone number screen (for rewards) not always showing. Plus, it could automatically give the option to use rewards now or not vs. the customer having to tell me before I ring them up, that they have a rewards they'd like to use. 

Message 43 of 95
Beta Member

@LSBS - that's a thought. However, if the customer doesn't buy enough to earn loyalty points, it is unnecessary to get their phone number. I personally prefer getting their name instead, however this may be too intrusive for some businesses.
Message 44 of 95

I'm a coffee house. So there's always rewards...each drink. But it asks for phone number afterwards and if the customer forgot to tell me they have a freebie, than it's a process to refund or hopefully they'll wait until their next purchase & remember to tell me then.

Maybe setting up the option to have loyalty entered before or after the transaction would be great for square. 

Message 45 of 95
Beta Member

Not seeing this anymore but is just what we need in our coffee shop for the same reasons mentioned in this thread. We have large dollar items that we do not want to reward with stars. How do you do this now as this thread is old.

Message 46 of 95
Admin

Hey @FIXCoffeebar, thanks for checking in here. We now offer the ability to reward points based on visit, amount spent, or per item. For more details on how you can choose/customize a Loyalty program, have a look here: Set Up a Loyalty Program. Hopefully, there's a suitable solution there that makes sense for the item sales in your coffee shop. Please don't hesitate to let me know if anything else comes up.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 47 of 95

I know this thread is super old. But I have to ask, because based on your answer to @FIXCoffeebar, you either did not understand what they are asking for, or purposely directed them to a link that won't help.

My question is: why do you not simply add the feature of excluding a category from earning points that customers have requested over a period of years?

Square has a reputation for having snazzy product and interface, but they also have a reputation for ignoring customer's requests and not adding critical features to improve product usability.

Some requests in this thread - to exclude a category from loyalty redemption - are from 2016 and Square still have not offered what many customers are wanting.

We are a coffee shop. Square has many coffee shops as customers, and I know from basic product marketing analysis (was in Silicon Valley for 30+ years) that Square has many, many customers who need the ability to exclude a category from earning points in their loyalty program.

Our specific example is our Retail Coffee Bag category.

The prices are high and our margins are thin. We do not want to have loyalty points earned on their purchase, nor do we want loyalty points redeemed for that category.

We looked at the other loyalty program options within the app, and they will not work well for what we are wanting to do as a business.

Rewarding people a star for each dollar spent is the best way for us to offer our customers an ongoing discount and keep them coming back.

We have excluded the Retail Coffee Bag category from the customer's ability to redeem rewards, but we do not want the customer to earn points based on their dollar purchase of the same category.

That defeats the purpose and we end up offering a discount for the purchase of items in that category.

Unless I am missing something in my logic (which I could easily be doing), please add this feature ASAP!

From a logical business perspective, it does not make sense to offer the exclusion of a category for point redemption, but have that same category earn points that can be applied to other purchases.

Thanks!

Message 48 of 95

The only way we have found to address this is by giving each size of each drink a number of stars based on price. This is extremely cumbersome and high maintenance. Holding on to hope that one day soon we will simply be able to exclude certain categories from rewards. 

Message 49 of 95

Is it possible to exclude certain items from counting towards a total sales amount used to earn loyal rewards? We are expanding into products with lower margins that make less sense for them to count towards our loyalty program. Thanks!

Message 50 of 95
Admin

Hey @mitten, thanks for reaching out to the seller community!

The ability to exclude certain items from counting towards a total sales amount isn't available at this time, but I can certainly see how this would be a useful as your business needs change. I'll be sharing your post with our Product Liaison team. In the meantime, you might consider creating an item or category reward. Learn more about this in our Support Center: Set Up Your Loyalty Program

If any sellers have any other advice to share on what's worked well — feel free to chime in. Keep in touch for updates!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 51 of 95

Hi Tom,

I have the exact same scenerio as the original poster, do you know if the feature (ability to exclude certain items counting towards a total sale) has been added to the loyalty program?

Thanks,

Aaron

Message 52 of 95
Admin

Thanks for checking in and sharing your experience here, Aaron. I ran this by our Loyalty Team and this is on their radar—though currently we aren't able to provide a timeline for this request. We'll circle back with any updates or clarity as soon as more details become available.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 53 of 95
Beta Member

All purchases, except gift cards, earn loyalty points based on the total amount spent.  How do I exclude an item from earning points?  The item already receives a discount based on the number purchased.

Message 54 of 95
Admin

Hello @Arcnadius-

There's not a way to exclude items from your loyalty program if you've got it set so that people earn based on total amount spent.

As a workaround, you could create categories and have all categories but one, earn points.

If this changes down the line, we'll make an announcement here in the Community.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 55 of 95

I saw the post that said you could set all categories but one to receive loyalty points.   How do I do this?

Thanks, Angela

Message 56 of 95
Admin

@Farmers104 If you head to the Settings tab under the Loyalty section in the Dashboard, click Edit to the right of the Rule Value and Rule Description box.

A box will appear that says Earn By. You'll click the drop down and choose the Any item in a category option. Then, you can add all categories in which you want items to earn points, and leave off the categories you don't want to include.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 57 of 95
Super Seller

Has this been resolved with a solution other than what is offered above? We offer points for certain dollars spent. The category solution does not work because it's one or the other, not both. 

Can't a button be added in the item set up screen that says yes/no Loyalty Reward Elidable? Maybe im oversimplifying the solution?

Charles Aaron
Message 58 of 95
Square Community Moderator

Welcome back to the Community, @JG_Brewing 

At this time, yes the previous post by Nika_S is your best option for excluding an item from your Loyalty program. 

Appreciate you reaching out with feedback on this one and would be happy to forward it along to our Product Team as a Feature Request. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 59 of 95

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: loyalty

How can I create a program that issues points based upon $50.00 sales. 1 point issued when a $50.00 sale is tendered but exclude certain categories?

Message 60 of 95
Super Seller

You can set this up through Loyalty, but you'll have to approach it slightly different than you described.

In your dashboard, go to Loyalty -> Settings

In the Earning Points section, edit it and make $50 your minimum purchase. Then, in that same screen, change the Earn By section to "Any item in a specific category." You can then choose wich category/categories are *included* in your loyalty transactions.

More info can be found on the Loyalty FAQ page. Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 61 of 95

Thank you for taking the time to respond. So since the logic is "inclusive" and not "restrictive" then I would add all of the categories and leave out the two or three that i wasnt to exclude. That makes sense. The piece that I am struggling with after that is how to still issue 1 point for ever $50.00 spent on those "included" categories. Thoughts?... I appreciate your help.

Message 62 of 95
Super Seller

Oh... I see where you can run into a problem here...

Looks like you can either do a dollar amount spent *or* items in a specific category. This could get interesting for you.

Let's get the Loyalty Guru involved... Hey @lilychiang, am I missing something here?

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 63 of 95