x
Beta Member

Items types: "Prepared Food and Beverage" vs. "Physical"

I have a retail store and a restaurant in one location, and all items are available in the Square Online Store. When creating an item online, I have a choice of "Item Type." One choice is "Physical" and one choice is "Prepared Food and Beverage." What is the difference? Is there a benefit to using one or the other?

By default, new items are set to "Physical" so I have to go in and manually change each restaurant item to "Prepared Food and Beverage" and when I do, it makes it invisible on the website, then I have to edit it in the dashboard to re-create its online link (toggle the online link button), then manually make the item visible again. If there is no benefit to the "Prepared Food and Beverage" type, I won't go through that hassle.

Thank you!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Alumni

Right now, the Prepared F&B will allow you to display extra information for buyers - such as dietary preferences and allergens - and change the nutritional calendar on the edit item page.

Additionally, If you’re offering in-store pickup, you can also set an individual prep time for the item.

As 'invisible item' conundrum - there's a bug happening that's currently being worked on which happens when changing an existing item from physical to f&b. But new items are in the clear. 

You might have to toggle back on the checkout link from Dashboard if the item shows as unavailable. 

@Cheesetique

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 7
Beta Member

Got it - thank you!

Message 3 of 7
Beta Member

After I import item from Square Library into Square Online, and change Item Type from PHYSICAL to PREPARED FOOD AND BEV, the Price is crossed through and always displays 0.  Sale price also defaults to 0 instead of the synced price.  Even if it manually set Sale Price = Synced Price, it's still crossed out online.  Can anyone help me?  Thanks

Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

I figured out that I had forgotten to setup up Pick-Up location.  After I setup, most of the items were fixed.  But some of the items were I get errors that:

"This item can't be sold online because it's not fulfillable at any of your locations. To fix this, make sure you have enabled Pickup for your locations, or modify the availability at those locations by going to your Square Dashboard. "

ALL the items are setup the same way.  Does this just take a very long time to update?  Thanks for the help.

Message 5 of 7

Found a bug when switching from Physical to Prepared Food and Beverage....In our case, the 'Fullfillment' section was set to Pickup and Delivery.  Once we changed the 'Item Type' from Physical to Prepared Food and Beverage, the 'Fullfillment' section changed to Shipping and Delivery being marked.    

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi there @SweetlySpoiled

First, welcome to the Seller Community! Second, thank you for reaching out to us about this issue. For this, we recommend reaching out to our Customer Success team directly so they can investigate deeper. 

https://squ.re/2LW3Gz3

Ellie
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 7