x

Online Order Tickets NOT Printing

Orders placed in my online store do not print to any of my kitchen or bar printers.  How do I enable printing?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 103
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey! Thanks so much for posting and I'm sorry to read the frustration regarding your online orders printing! I have merged your two posts together as the one you commented on from 2016 is outdated.

If you currently accept pickup orders on your iPad with the Square app and use a supported kitchen ticket printer, you can automatically print kitchen tickets after every order.

To enable automatic printing for pickup orders:

1. Tap the three horizontal lines on the bottom navigation bar.
  2. Tap Settings > Remote Orders.
  3. Toggle Print New Remote Orders on.
  4. Navigate back to Settings > Printers, and select your connected printer or create a new printer station.
  5. Turn Order Tickets on.
  6. Make sure to enable the item categories you’d like available for pickup.

Let me know if these steps help and if you have any other questions!! 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 103
102 REPLIES 102

Square support reached out and I sent them screenshots but havent heard back yet.   Its still happening.    I've narrowed it down to exactly what orders dont print.  Some orders come in NEW, and those print but way delayed and sometimes multiple times.  Other orders go straight to UPCOMING even though those are brand new and never print.  Hope it gets fixed soon. 

Message 64 of 103

Hi there, @303bakes - so sorry to hear about the delay here. Have you flagged this over to our phone Support Team? They are standing by and can take a deeper dive into this with you.

Joe
Message 65 of 103

I tried calling but was on hold for an hour and gave up.  I tried Chat as well but it timed out on me.  I've been emailing back and forth with support and we have come to a conclusion.

Square must have updated some software on how orders are classified when placed.  If they are for another day or way past the "prep time" then they are listed as UPCOMING, thus do not print.  If they are placed for same day pickup and just after your prep time, then they come in as NEW, thus auto print. 

Problem is no matter when the order is for, I would like the order to print so we can plan and make sure we have the item and I'm sure I'm not the only one who likes that feature.  So many you can just add, "Auto Print Upcoming Orders" or just "Auto print ALL orders" and that would solve the issue.  @Joe 

Message 66 of 103

Online orders were not printed again and again.

Still same issue has not been solved. I will keep following up my status.

Message 67 of 103

SOS - HELP where are the programmers that can ID and fix this bug.   
Its not a user error or a setting.

Me too for two weeks now. 

Message 68 of 103

We hear you, @303bakes. I can definitely see how auto-printing orders would be beneficial to most businesses. I am flagging this over to our Product Teams for visibility. Should anything come down the pipeline in this regard, we will update everyone here on this thread.

Thanks again for your patience! 

Joe
Message 69 of 103

This is an existing feature under printer settings.
It just does not work for online orders - or randomly works.
Yes someone on the development team needs to look at this issue.

Message 70 of 103
Beta Member

@Joe This is not a feature request.  Like @blakeadesigns  said, this feature exists and, until recently, working fine.

My online orders have been-auto printing for months.  They were printing to my kitchen printer immediately after being placed online. And now they're not.   I have changed nothing, it simply stopped working.

Message 71 of 103
Beta Member

Had similar issues as described by others when "upcoming orders" became a thing.

I have found that the upcoming orders are supposed to print when they reach the prep time you set for your location. I have also found that they don't ALWAYS print.

My problem is that I don't want this feature at all though: It is not helpful to have orders shuffled into upcoming orders and then print according to our prep time, even if they printed every time.

It was much better when orders just always printed as soon as they came in, no matter how far in advance.

This has been a problem everyday since "upcoming orders" appeared.

Would like to be able to switch this off or, if it has to exist for some reason, I'd like to be able to dictate when the orders will print. That is, our prep time can be set for 15 minutes but our upcoming orders are set to print 1 hour in advance, for instance.

Message 72 of 103

Where do you even set the prep time?
This makes no sense.   Orders should print when you receive them in a restaurant unless its for far in advance.  

This is a pretty critical event that the developers need to look at and not set rules that only make sense to them... 

Timing is very critical on pick up orders for food.   
Thanks

Message 73 of 103
Beta Member

Prep time can be set in the online store dashboard by going to setting -> pickup & delivery -> order prep time.

Right? Its a pain every single day and before it was just not an issue at all.

At least remove it from the square for restaurants version. We pay extra for a POS tailored for restaurants and that is not a restaurant friendly feature.

Message 74 of 103

@Joe_123 

This order situation needs immediate addressing.  Its becoming such a problem that I'm looking at other options than Square now.  I hate to change POS at this point and start over but this needs to be address.  Now orders for future days are going into "ONLINE STORE" section and not even in UPCOMING.    HELP!

Message 75 of 103
Beta Member

I've been communicating with Square support on the phone and via email.  They way it's working now it's, apparently, how they system is supposed to work and orders printing as soon as they're placed was the actual bug.

All our orders are printing fine, according to prep time.  Our prep time is set to 30 minutes so, if an order is scheduled for pickup at 4:30, it'll automatically print at 4:00.  This is working fine but our chefs would rather have all orders print as soon as they're placed.

Message 76 of 103

We have noticed that this is working UNLESS a guest places an order a day (or more) in advance. If the order gets placed in advance (i.e. for a catering order), the ticket never prints, even when it hits the scheduled prep time.

We have to manually go in and force print the tickets when we need to begin prepping them. I have all of my online shop set up with appropriate prep times (even for catering), but we almost missed several orders because of our guests planning ahead. 

Square needs to get this fixed ASAP. This looks bad on us and we look unprepared when really it is a printing issue that gets us behind/catches us off-guard. 

Message 77 of 103

I have been telling Square there is a bug in this system for several weeks and I have yet to hear any resolution.

There are two different systems; The Weebly online store & The Square POS system.   When an order comes in via Weebly there is something in the data sent or the Square system that is not recognizing this transaction/order (as a new order).    Orders are not being recognized for the day & time of order vs day and time of when it should print via the prep time plus the date requested. 

In our case it seems random.  Some print, others do not and just sit pending awaiting us to find it and send it to the kitchen.

It has caused us many problems when people show up for their pick up order - and we have not even put it into the kitchen to cook.   

Square --- are you there?

Message 78 of 103
Alumni

@Stella @blakeadesigns - if you're having issues printing online order tickets, then reach out to our CS Team so they can escalate your case to Engineering to confirm that you're experiencing a bug. We can't really pinpoint the issue from Community w/o looking at account specifics on the back-end. 

Justin
Message 79 of 103

Thanks, @JustinC , I have another thread going for our specific issues! 🙂

Message 80 of 103
Beta Member

Just an Update: This is still somehow an issue for us. It is at least annoying everyday that everyone has to baby sit the POS just in case an order comes in and doesn't print. We never had a single issue with online orders until the upcoming order feature appeared. I've said this already but I'll say it again: The Upcoming Orders feature is not helpful for restaurants...why is there no option to always have the tickets print immediately no matter when they are scheduled for? We can read the ticket and understand not to make the order until later, it's not a problem and if it is, at least its our problem that we can address ourselves.

Today,  it was a disaster. Twice today we had customers show up for orders that we were not aware existed until they arrived. The domino effect of events like this can really disrupt service and is very bad for business.

Please try to address this, Square. It's hurting us.

Message 81 of 103
Beta Member

SERIOUSLY!! This is so frustrating and seems like it should be such an easy fix!  I called into Square support on this yet again the other day and the tech told me that they couldn't help but were happy to share their excitement about some new features that would be coming out soon (that they could not elaborate on at all of course). 

FIX THE CURRENT SYSTEM BEFORE SCREWING IT UP MORE WITH BELLS AND WHISTLES I NEED THE BASIC FUNCTIONALITY TO WORK IT MAKES BUSINESSES LOOK TERRIBLE AND LOSE CUSTOMERS WHEN THIS HAPPENS

Message 82 of 103

blakeadesigns any fix on this issue yet?! I am launching our online ordering this weekend but have been sending in "Test Orders" a $0.00 for the past 2 weeks and seeing the issues you are talking about. I kept telling my wife its definitely a bug and there was really nothing else on our end to change. Would love to know if any resolution yet...Thanks and good luck!

Message 83 of 103

I use Square Register and the Weebly online ordering.  Most of my online orders print in my kitchen with no issue but...once in a while, an order does not print.  Yesterday was particularly bad as out of 40 or so online orders 7-9 of them did not print out.  It wasn't until the customer showed up for their food did we realize this had happened.  Is there a way to troubleshoot this without having to constantly check if an online order has been received?  We are an extremely busy place and don't have the time to be double checking. 

Message 84 of 103