x

[Request]: Button for Enabling/Disabling Sold Out Items For Online Store

Hello, there community. This is my first time trying to get engagement around my feature requests. This is a simple one: a quick way to mark an item as "Sold out" that can propagate from the Dashboard to the online store. 

My current work around:

Personally, I do not use the inventory features that Square has implemented, but I have found that if you mark your items inventory as less than or equal to 0, this marks the item as "SOLD OUT" on your online store. We run out of certain items at our restaurant throughout the day, so having a fast and easier method of doing this process would be #AMAZING.

For anyone still reading, if the Square API could expose more of the backend dashboard functionality, then I could even go crazier and create an apple short cut, make it a Siri enabled shortcut, and I could say "hey Siri, please mark ceviches as sold out on my online store". BOOM, done. But, I am dreaming here. These are trying times, and any minuscule amount of time savings equates to the world for us. Thank you.

Message 1 of 32
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @burbelmaiers-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

Unfortunately if you’re processing a sale from the Square app for in person sales, you won’t be blocked from selling an out of stock item.

This is intended to be this way. The thinking here was that if say you do not keep your quantity levels accurate (i.e. forget to update the amount after you receive goods), we don't want to block your sales if the quantity level goes below 0 on Square, but you actually have the item in stock.

Perhaps in the future we'll create a block feature, with an override feature to accommodate all sellers. In the meantime, this remains a feature request. Sorry about this. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

We use Obeko (formerly Cloosiv) which integrates with Square because of this. 

Message 22 of 32

For me, marking it “Sold Out” doesn’t help. It needs to be actually hidden in the store. Right now, I have low stock stock alerts set and I hide things manually.  I’m going to be taking a look at the API to see how I can code this as when I posted on this, that was the response I got from square. 

Having worked in software development this seems like a HUGE improvement that requires very little coding.

Message 23 of 32

I am a Software Developer as well. Don’t waste your time. Their API does not give access to much dashboard data, like stock. The API is mainly focused on payment transactions and embedding square payment taking web apps. I tried 😞

Message 24 of 32

@incasperuvian Couldn't you use /v2/inventory/batch-change to change specific items' inventory to 0?

Message 25 of 32

I'm in the same situation.  We have to go into each item and change it to "Track Stock" with 0 inventory to show as sold out on line.  This is especially a pain when 1 ingredient goes into multiple items (Ex: Pulled Pork Sandwich, Pulled Pork Nachos).  When I run out of Pulled Pork, I have to go into 2 different items to mark them as sold out.  This is definitely not a user friendly option.  A toggle button for "Sold Out" next to the item on the dashboard would be awesome!

Message 26 of 32

Please add the feature to show stock counts in the POS app! I understand keeping the item open for sale (if there is an inventory miscalculation), but it would be great to see the stock total next to the item variation! Having the stock catalog open and selling at the same time is not adequate. 

Message 27 of 32

Why is it so difficult to simply add an on/off toggle switch to any Item? There WAS one. Where did it go? When I sell out of sausage sandwiches, I used to be able to turn that item off on my website from my Dashboard. Quick an easy. Now I have to fiddle with inventory and Sold Out and whatever else. Just add an "Off" button again. Sheesh.

Message 28 of 32

Wow! Still no resolution from Square.
I'm a prospect new. The lack of this feature totally turned me OFF from implementing Square into my new small business. 
This option should be one of the basic features!

Message 29 of 32
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for posting, @ditndatnam 

I'm a little confused by this thread title, though, because the Square Online site will not allow a customer to add an item to the cart if the inventory is at zero. Can you clarify what you are looking for so we can confirm if it is a possibility? 

Message 30 of 32

This has to be a thing now, right? We may need to look at a different system if this is not enabled soon. Thanks, it's a very simple button. 

Message 31 of 32

2023 and still not a feature?

Message 32 of 32