x

Tips on Delivery Orders goes to Postmates Courier and Not My Staff

We are utilizing on-demand delivery in my square store where Postmates couriers fulfills our delivery orders. I have enabled order tipping in my advanced settings and the feature shows

Allow your customers to leave a tip for your staff when placing pickup or delivery orders online

Enable order tipping at checkout

However it turns out that 100% of the tips go to the Postmates Courier. This is very misleading and unfair to my staff that prepare, and package the food and drinks yet they get 0% of the tips if it's a delivery order. I have called Square and Weebly about this and while the support agrees with me, they were not able to do anything about it. Support suggested that I post about it in this forum and if it gets enough traction, perhaps Square will do something about it. In a time when our entire industry is suffering, it's not right to withhold 100% of the gratuity from my staff. 

Square & Weebly, I hope you can do something about this. Thanks!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Beta Member

im glad I came across this thread. If Square does not fix this immediately I will be forced to turn off postmates delivery option. customers have been leaving $40-50 tips to support my Cafe during these times. I'm not giving that to some random driver.

Message 2 of 14

I wish this thread had a bit more traction. Perhaps most sellers are using their own delivery drivers so this doesn't affect them. On the customer side it does say 
100% of the tip goes to the courier", however the customer does not know if the courier is your own staff doing the delivery or a postmates courier. 

I hope Square will address this issue.

Message 3 of 14

I also think there should be an option to leave staff for the tip!  I think it is deceiving that the courier gets all the tip.  Our customers also think that all their tip is going to OUR staff.

SQUARE - FIX THIS!

Message 4 of 14

I will not set up delivery service with Square/Postmates until we can control where the tipping goes or there is an option for the customer to leave an additional tip for my staff.

Message 5 of 14

Is there a way to add a 15% upcharge to orders that choose delivery? That way, the customer tips the driver but our staff also gets tipped?

Message 6 of 14

If you go to "Pickup and Delivery" and click on "edit location" you can add a "service fee". This is a flat amount and not a percentage of the sale. I did not end up adding that, because the customer should not have to pay more or double tip. This unfairly increase the order total for the customer and we need to stay price competitive. Square needs to fix this issue. Not to mention Postmates as been terrible lately by delivering the wrong items to our customers or leaving the customers delivers on the street.

Message 7 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hey @suzannelori - Good thinking here! However, we don't have a way to do this at the time. If anything changes we will make sure to keep you updated.

Have a great day!

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 8 of 14

@sayra Rather than adding additional fees and passing them onto our customers, we simply want the tips to be shared with our staff rather than 100% of it being given to the courier. It's completely unfair that the people making the drinks, cooking the food, packing everything up, get 0% of the gratuity. The customers that order from our Square stores are doing so to support OUR small businesses and when they leave a tip they want to leave it for OUR staff. You don't know how many customers are shocked to find out that their generous tips that were meant for our struggling staff is actually paid to a courier that has no affiliation with our business. 

I appreciate that Square is offering on demand delivery as it has freed me up to focus on my business rather than driving 3 hours a day making deliveries myself. However after using this service for several months, it's clear that the Square team has not thought through this partnership with Postmates. I am still in limbo trying to get reimbursed for orders that were lost by Postmates couriers for deliveries that courier mixed up. If you guys want to get this right, you need to hire people that will be an advocate for the small businesses on your platform. I have 13 years of experience in tech and have even applied for positions at Square to try to address these issues. If you guys want to build great products you need to think through every possible scenario and give us, your merchants the tools to deliver a great experience for our customers. 

Message 9 of 14

This needs to be fixed

Message 10 of 14
Beta Member

Have anyone heard anything about this?  I just turned on delivery and definitely will turn it off If my staff don't get tipped.

Message 11 of 14

Thank you for reaching out about this, @Grannysdrivein

Yes, 100% of the tip will go to the courier service. You can check out some more information through this Support Article under the payments section. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Message 12 of 14
Beta Member

Ok so now we know that 100% of tips goes to courier, will this be changed?

Because I want to grow my business thru delivery but if tips goes to courier, then neither we get the growth or Square gets the processing fees of the growth. 

Message 13 of 14

Correct, @Grannysdrivein

At the moment, this isn't going to change. You can drop this over into the Ideate Board as a Feature Request for our Product Team.

They can take a deeper look into the options for this in the future. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Message 14 of 14