x
Beta Member

What is the difference between item options and item modifiers?

What is the difference between item options and item modifiers?

Message 1 of 30
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Great question @Rp3!

You can use item variations/options and modifiers to strategically display your items on your website, making them easy to shop for based on what your buyers need. Below I'll explain what the two are typically used for, and how they differ. 

Item Variations/Options:

Selling shirts in four different sizes? A gift basket with “standard” and “deluxe” versions? Item options allow you to add variants to a single item, and are directly tied to your item stock.

To add variations/options to an item, go to your dashboard > Items > Item Library > select an Item > scroll down until you see Variations/Options.

Item Modifiers:

Item modifiers allow you to sell items that are customizable, or offer additional choices, and are not directly tied to your item stock. There are two types of item modifiers: a text input box for custom requests, and a list of options for pre-determined requests. You can use modifiers with item variations/options to create products with a wide range of options.

For example, say you’re selling an engravable bracelet that comes in multiple sizes. Your item variations/options would be the sizes (e.g. small, medium, large, etc.), and your modifier would be the custom text to engrave (e.g. the customer’s name/initials).

To add modifiers to an item, go to your dashboard > Items > Item Library > select an Item > scroll down until you see Modifiers.

I hope this helps clear things up. Let me know if not. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Admin

Best Answer

Great question @Rp3!

You can use item variations/options and modifiers to strategically display your items on your website, making them easy to shop for based on what your buyers need. Below I'll explain what the two are typically used for, and how they differ. 

Item Variations/Options:

Selling shirts in four different sizes? A gift basket with “standard” and “deluxe” versions? Item options allow you to add variants to a single item, and are directly tied to your item stock.

To add variations/options to an item, go to your dashboard > Items > Item Library > select an Item > scroll down until you see Variations/Options.

Item Modifiers:

Item modifiers allow you to sell items that are customizable, or offer additional choices, and are not directly tied to your item stock. There are two types of item modifiers: a text input box for custom requests, and a list of options for pre-determined requests. You can use modifiers with item variations/options to create products with a wide range of options.

For example, say you’re selling an engravable bracelet that comes in multiple sizes. Your item variations/options would be the sizes (e.g. small, medium, large, etc.), and your modifier would be the custom text to engrave (e.g. the customer’s name/initials).

To add modifiers to an item, go to your dashboard > Items > Item Library > select an Item > scroll down until you see Modifiers.

I hope this helps clear things up. Let me know if not. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 2 of 30

I would like to add options with variations for each option, but when I add an item to my online store, I do not have the ability to add options - I can only add variations. Do I have something set up incorrectly?

Message 3 of 30
Admin

Hey @CornsilkCrafts- I'm a little confused by your question. What do you mean by "options"? Are you wanting to add a subset of options under each variable? Can you give me an example?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 30

I would like to list an option/variation for color and then list red, green, blue, yellow, etc. under that. I would also like to list an option/variation for size and then list small, medium, large, XL, etc. under that. I can add "variations" but I can't add anything else so I have items listed on my site as red small, red medium, red large, red XL, green small, green medium, and so on, which is less than efficient.

Message 5 of 30
Admin

I see @CornsilkCrafts. If you really want to have the colors separated from the sizes, you could modifiers for one or the other. It'll create a separate section aside from the variables where your customers can choose size (or color). Otherwise, it sounds like you have it set up in the way that our system allows at this time which is size and color both combined as a variable. Ex: BLUE-SM, BLUE-MED, etc.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 6 of 30

would you be able to help me. I am offering 1 service (a blow dry) and want to add “add on” options with it like they have to book the blow dry service but can add on a scalp massage or conditioning treatment for additional cost. I cannot figure out how to display only the blow dry and then the add on options

Message 7 of 30
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community @Prettyparlorak,

We are happy to have you here! We are also happy to help. First, which platform are you using to add items? Are you in the Square dashboard or adding from the Square Online item page?

Ellie
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 30

I have tried in both settings

Message 9 of 30

Are you able to provide a screenshot of that section in the Online store not showing the add button? @Prettyparlorak

Ellie
Message 10 of 30

What I am trying to do is have the blow out be the only service you can choose and then they can add on the other services to it. It should not be letting me book just an add on service alone

Message 11 of 30

Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 2.21.49 PM.png

Message 12 of 30

I tried deleting everything and starting over. with only the Blowout as a service but the add on modifiers aren'Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 2.45.18 PM.pngt showing up on booking

Message 13 of 30

Thank you for following up on this @Prettyparlorak,

That is definitely strange, we recommend reaching out to our direct Customer Success team regarding this. 

squ.re/contact.

Ellie
Message 14 of 30

Isabelle,

In your response, you said:

"Item modifiers allow you to sell items that are customizable, or offer additional choices, and are not directly tied to your item stock. There are two types of item modifiers: a text input box for custom requests, and a list of options for pre-determined requests. You can use modifiers with item variations/options to create products with a wide range of options."

Could you explain how to create a modifier as a text input box?  I cannot find how to do this.

Thank you!

Ed

Message 15 of 30

First time here, so forgive me if this is answered elsewhere. I searched but can'd find exactly what I'm looking for.

So I am setting up a friends POS system at the deli he bought a year and a half ago. It's been done one way and one way only, which is hand written tickets, a manual cash register, a Square terminal, a separate receipt printer and then their UBEReats terminal. I've convinced him to let me get him on the tech side of things (we're in our 30s so you'd think this is a no-brainer).

Anyways.

I've got all the menu items in the POS system... there are only 30'ish sandwiches and most of them share a lot of the same toppings. 

I've created a list of modifiers, but as you can see from the screen grabs below, you have to click edit and then have to click the price to get to A) the modifiers and B) the option for half or full sandwiches. 

That doesn't seem very intuitive to me and I was hoping I am just missing something and that these can be added to 'sub menus' on each button.

In this instance, I click Roast Pork... but nothing comes up on the main screen for addons, I have to click thru like I've shown below.

Am I missing something? 

2020-06-10 08.24.53.png2020-06-10 08.24.59.png2020-06-10 08.25.03.png2020-06-10 08.25.07.png2020-06-10 08.25.12.png2020-06-10 08.25.47.png

Message 16 of 30
Admin

Hey @MonteBarrow!

Welcome to the Seller Community! 

This is totally not a no-brainer. I had to think this one through too 🤓

I think that the half or full sandwich should actually be a Variation and the toppings should be a Modifier.  I go over the difference and how they are typically used here. Does that help? Let me know! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 17 of 30

Thanks for the reply... I realized what I did wrong. I had the option selected to 'automatically add item to check'. Now when I click any of the items, the modifier menu comes up. I just need to modify those so the relevant ones show up on the right sandwiches instead of 50 modifiers.

Thanks!! 🙂

Message 18 of 30
Alumni

Thanks for letting us know you were able to get this one figured out, @MonteBarrow 🎉

If anything else comes up, we're here!

Valentina
Message 19 of 30
Beta Member

@Valentina 

If I can jump in and recommend something for the Square team. 

I have noticed while setting up products that it may be wise for square to default "Automatically add item to check" as off. As most restaurants will have some type of modifier, and it can be an easy step to miss while setting up a new menu. 

Or perhaps a different UX for how the flow of Restaurant items is created. Might help newer users understand the workflow better! 😁

Message 20 of 30
Beta Member

Would this answer apply if I wanted to have the item upgraded to a combo with additional cost if possible. ie. Item is a burger ($5), you can add the combo +$7 and then if the combo is added, the option of drink is given [coke/sprite/water]. Then the item total is $12 with a drink selected

Message 21 of 30