x
Super Seller

Can Terminal auto print items entered in Restaurant?

With Order Tickets switched on under hardware/printers on Terminal, if we add an item to a ticket directly on Terminal it will automatically print a ticket on the internal printer.  Is it possible to have it so when items are added to a 'bill' in Restaurant, the Terminal prints that item automatically? 

Trying to use the Terminal printer as a kind of kitchen printer... works great if you're adding items in Terminal itself....

(I know you can manually choose to print "Reprint Ticket" from Terminal, but that a) is a manual step, that requires the FOH person to work across 2 devices and manually dig into a deep menu b) prints the whole ticket, not just the added item, so if a customer adds additional food that prints previously sent food too.)

Thanks

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Smithward! Thanks for taking the time to post. I think one feature that will be worth looking into is something called Straight Fire.

You can automatically send items in specific categories to your kitchen or bar when you enable the Straight Fire Categories setting for your points of sale. Straight Fire Categories work best for items that your customers donโ€™t want to wait for, like drinks (or, in your case, all items). Straight Fire Categories allow items to be sent to the bar or kitchen, while coursed items like appetizers and entrees can be held for proper timing.

To get started:

1. Head to your Square Dashboard > select Devices > Points of Sale from the navigation bar.
  2. Click Service Settings > Straight Fire Categories.
  3. Select the applicable categories. Items in the selected categories will not be included as a course to either hold or fire since theyโ€™ll be sent straight away to the back-of-house.

Items in the selected categories will not be included as a course to either hold or fire since theyโ€™ll be sent straight away to the back-of-house.

In your case, I would think you would want to mark all item categories as "straight fire," but let me know if this suggestion works for you at all. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3
Super Seller

Thanks @AshleyK  we're not on Restaurants Plus so unfortunately that option isn't available (if we were we'd just use KDS). But thanks for the suggestion

Message 3 of 3