x
Super Seller

How can we merge customers in Restaurants?

Hey,

I might be a bit thick, but I cannot seem to find how to merge two customers in Restaurants. Is this even possible? How? 😅

And if not - why not?

Thanks,

Chris

Message 1 of 9
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @artizansty, thanks for your suggestion! At the moment, more advanced customer management features are not yet available within the Square for Restaurants app. I can see that it’d help to keep everything in the same place, so I will surface this with the Restaurants team as well and see if it’s on our roadmap. 

At the moment, you can merge customer profiles from either your Square Dashboard or your Square Point of Sale app. To merge customer profiles from the Square Point of Sale app: 

1. In your app, go to Customers
  2. Click the three dots > Merge Customers
  3. Select the customer profiles you want to merge

To merge customer profiles from your Square Dashboard, please follow the steps outlined here

Emma
Community Manager, Square

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

Hey @artizansty!

If the same customer directory syncs into Square POS then you should be able to perform the merge there... please be aware that I have very little clue when it comes to restaurants 😂

If this helps mark it as best answer for those looking for a solution to this in the future!

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 2 of 9
Super Seller

Thanks for your reply! It’s a bit of a cumbersome thing to have to deal with customers in a completely different app to what I run my cafe/restaurant with 😅 hopefully there’s just a setting I’m missing seeing somewhere in Restaurants 🙏

Message 3 of 9
Super Seller

Hey @artizansty - as Matt says he doesn't have much clue on the restaurant app 😂 

Just to check, are you talking about customer profiles (the only solution for this is just as Matt has described) or do you want to merge to customer tabs together - say for two orders at a table to then be consolidated into one customer? 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 4 of 9
Super Seller

Ha I know how to merge customer tabs, so there’s no way to manage customer profiles in Restaurants? How’d that lack of functionality not get solved for? 🙄

Message 5 of 9
Super Seller

I don't know why you'd want to merge in the app? 

It's really designed as a sales tool, so when you think about it it's really a minimal UI built for service not management. No menu management (new item...... gotta add that to the menu online), no staff management, no management at all. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 6 of 9
Super Seller

Customer profile management is a core function of selling, hence why every sales team relies on a CRM - all with basic functions like add, delete, merge…

Merging in the app, much like creation in the app (which exists) helps our staff keep customer records the most up to date without needing to go elsewhere to manage customers

Message 7 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @artizansty, thanks for your suggestion! At the moment, more advanced customer management features are not yet available within the Square for Restaurants app. I can see that it’d help to keep everything in the same place, so I will surface this with the Restaurants team as well and see if it’s on our roadmap. 

At the moment, you can merge customer profiles from either your Square Dashboard or your Square Point of Sale app. To merge customer profiles from the Square Point of Sale app: 

1. In your app, go to Customers
  2. Click the three dots > Merge Customers
  3. Select the customer profiles you want to merge

To merge customer profiles from your Square Dashboard, please follow the steps outlined here

Emma
Community Manager, Square
Message 8 of 9
Super Seller

Thanks @Emma_ , that’s a shame. We have several older staff who are not at all tech savvy, so onboarding to Square is a chore in itself, let alone teaching staff that are highly resistant to change how to navigate, modify items, add customers for loyalty etc, and also now having to change entire apps to perform a function like merge.

I just don’t get how Square Point of Sale has merge, Square for Retail has merge, but Square for Restaurants doesn’t. Hopefully the team can add it to their roadmap.

Message 9 of 9