x

How to email a restaurant bill

We need to email our guests their cumulative bar bills at the end of their hotel stay (using an open table) so they can check their bills prior to payment. It seems quite logical, but we have only found the option to email a receipt after the guest has paid. We have looked at invoicing but it seems like you have to re-enter all purchased items. We can sometimes have 3 pages worth of purchases! Any suggestions? We have been taking a screen shot and emailing it to the guest, but it's not ideal if the bill goes over a page. Surely there is a better way.  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Valhal1,

Thanks for getting in touch and sharing your feedback!

At this time, open tickets can't be shared by emailed before they've been settled. As a workaround, you can turn an open ticket into an invoice by tapping the charge button and then scrolling down to select invoice. Customers can then either pay the invoice directly via the link, or you can take a payment from your point of sale app by tapping on More > Invoices. Tap on the Invoice you'd like to settle, then select Add Payment and take a payment through your Square Reader. 

I'll pass your feedback regarding the ability to share an open ticket similarly to a quote/estimate before it's been paid with our product team for consideration as I can see how this would be a useful feature.  

Message 2 of 9

Thanks Arie, I will try this out. Do you know if the self order QR codes can go to an open ticket? I assume not. Thank you. 

Message 3 of 9

Orders placed through the self serve QR code wouldn't be added to an open ticket. Currently, your customers need to make a payment to order via the self-serve QR codes @Valhal1

Please let us know how you go ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Message 4 of 9

Hi Arie, I have tried the above workaround, but we don't seem to have a "change" button. Where is this located? Or do you have any more suggestions. 

Thank you

Message 5 of 9

Hey @Valhal1,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble finding this option! Can you let me know which Point of sale app you're using, and if you're still using open tickets, or invoices when going through these steps? 

Message 6 of 9

Hi Arie, The POS type is: Restaurant. I think we are using the app: Square for Restaurants, App Version 5.84. I am not sure about open tickets or invoices, I think we are using Bills or open checks 

Message 7 of 9

Hey @Valhal1,

Thanks for confirming- this option is actually only available for the Square Point of Sale app at the moment, which would be why you're having trouble finding in on Square for Restaurants. Apologies for the misunderstanding here! 

Message 8 of 9

Ok thank you. Fingers crossed an update will come where you can email the bill from Square for Restaurants before the customer pays, rather than a receipt after they pay. Not many customers will pay their bill without checking it first...

Message 9 of 9