x

I own a food truck and want to do online orders. Is anyone out there doing this?

I own a food truck and want to do online orders. Is anyone out there doing this?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Super Seller

Hi @Olskoolque !

I have a brick-and-mortar store, not a food truck, but I'm using the online store. I can tell you that it has definitely helped with sales and it's worth it.

The Square Online Store is a great way to get the ball rolling for online sales. It's available in your dashboard. Follow along the steps in this Square Help File to get it going.

With a food truck, you'll have to be on top of your open hours and menu a little more than a brick and mortar. These can be updated in the settings section of your online store. For a food truck, I'd also disable the "Schedule Pickup for Later" setting unless you're somewhere with pretty established hours.

The online store is pretty basic, but it only costs you the time and effort to put your menu items into it. It doesn't allow for customer favorites, history, or the like, but it gets the job done. All orders will show on your Point of Sale in a special Orders section, which will show up once you set up your online store with Pickup items. (Please note that if you're using Register, any Android Point of Sale, iPhone Point of Sale, or the Terminal, online pickup orders aren't supported at this point)

As you grow, you may want to consider an app for a better customer experience. I'm a huge proponent of the PoppinPay app--it has increased my online sales 100% since I launched it. There are a few other apps available that have been discussed in this forum as well.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 15

Thank you for taking your time to share this great insight and information. This was very helpful. Its seems that since we use the iPhone to take orders on the truck that the iPhone is not supported, and therefore, we cannot use the system for this purpose. Is that correct? 

Message 3 of 15

Food Truck logic is quite different from regular store as you may not have fixed location and move around. 

https://orderem.com/Integration/Square

https://orderem.com/FoodTrucks

OrderEm is integrated with your Square POS. Checkout above links to see if it fits your need. 

Message 4 of 15

I will check it out. Thanks. 

Message 5 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Let us know if anything else comes up. @Da1stopshop!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 15

I am checking this out but there is no real "location" logic to this add on.  Their web pages make it seem like there is something they can do specific to a food truck but the free trial is not easy to navigate for sure.  There is no direct tie into Square other than using it for the payment processing.  No pull of a menu over etc.

Message 7 of 15

Hi @Olskoolque! We can develop and app for your food truck!  Ordrslip.com    

Ordrslip builds custom mobile ordering apps for restaurants/food trucks at a very affordable price. It only costs $1,000 to build your food trucks branded app that would then be available to your customers via the Google Play Store and Apples App Store.  Your customers would order and pay via the app and when their food is ready a text would be sent to their phone, letting them know to go to the window for pick up. After the app is live, there is a $150 per month fee to maintain and host the app. For food trucks we can charge you the $150 per month or do a percentage of sales instead, whatever works best for you. Most apps can be built in 30 days and if you have more than one location, that has the same menu, the fee to build is still just the $1,000 build for all the locations! Each location would pay the $150 per month subscription fee.

Example:  4 locations, same menu      A one time $1,000 build fee for all 4 locations      $150 per month, per location subsrciption fee

Everyone is going mobile! Let Ordrslip get you on the road to mobility

Should you want more information, please dont hesitate to contact me  Charlene@ordrslip.com

Message 8 of 15

We use the POS system and have links to the Square order page on social along with QR codes. Online orders print tickets just like local. You do have to stay on top of your online item list and hours to insure folks can't order something you can't provide though.

Message 9 of 15

We built a solution for Food trucks Order management with texting for all order types. Shows all Orders entered at the POS and online, Shows To Do, All day list and completed orders views. Ticket timers. Zoom on order details and send preset text messages.  We use it in our truck ( SerialGrillersLLC ) Complete details are at Gurbuzzer.com Software 100% Written and maintained in the USA. Presently for US Phone number texting only. Not for Restaurants!
Tags (1)
Message 10 of 15

Does anyone use a square stand in a food truck?  I want the customer to be able to tip without printing receipt.  I don't want to spent $800 for the new restaurant POS with 2 screens.  Is it possible to use the square terminal to accomplish this? My stand sits up too high to flip/rotate the iPad around for them to sign.

Message 11 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Hi @bbqmama and welcome to the Seller Community!! I've merged your post to an existing thread where multiple sellers with food trucks have collaborated. Feel free to tag them to get their advice. 🙂

In regards to your Square Terminal question, yes, it will be able to accept payments and send receipts digitally or printed - whichever you prefer. It will not work as a second receipt printer for your iPad, but the two will share information like transactions, etc. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 15

This logic really has yet to be solved in a good way.  The main challenge I see is that a truck can have any number of "locations" for pickup.  I am myself trying to solve this same issue and currently my only option is to have dozens of locations (if we want mobile ordering) at them all, but most likely it would be the few "consistent" ones.  Then trying to figure out how to make sure a customer knows which location you are actually at and then maintaining separate online ordering web pages for each location and even showing the currently location based on GPS data.  This is a software opportunity for someone.

Message 13 of 15

We ended using an app Where’s the Foodtruck (WTF). The customer support is incredible! It syncs with our Square. Customers download their free version of the app and they can order. It print out on my small handheld Square Register. If there is a poroblem and we are out of something it give me their contact info and I can call and make changes. Updating their order in Square notifies them if the progress and when it’s ready.

Message 14 of 15

Thanks.  I’ll check that out.  The abbreviation is hilarious too. LOL

Message 15 of 15