x

STAR SP700 kitchen printer - connecting to Square Restaurant

We are setting up Square Restaurant and are trying to hook up to the kitchen printer, which is a STAR SP700.

It isn't that old, but doesn't appear on the list of printers at https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6334-hardware-compatibility-by-device#kitchen-ticket-printer...

Would it work if we got a Square Stand?  Or do we need a new kitchen printer?

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @freshpaula,

Thanks for reaching out.

If the printer isn't listed as compatible then unfortunately it won't work with Square. Our hardware engineering team needs to build compatibility for each printer listed, so if it's not on the list it's not going to work - sorry about that!

If you're after a basic printer to work with Square Stand you could go one of a few different models, depending on if you want to plug it directly into your Stand via USB or want to plug it into your modem via ethernet:

Let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @freshpaula,

Thanks for reaching out.

If the printer isn't listed as compatible then unfortunately it won't work with Square. Our hardware engineering team needs to build compatibility for each printer listed, so if it's not on the list it's not going to work - sorry about that!

If you're after a basic printer to work with Square Stand you could go one of a few different models, depending on if you want to plug it directly into your Stand via USB or want to plug it into your modem via ethernet:

Let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 8

It was working with Square last year, so it seems odd that it now doesn't work?

Message 3 of 8
Admin

@freshpaula,

If it was working previously you can certainly try again - we've not removed any printers from the compatibility list. At the same time if the printer is not listed then it's not officially supported by Square, and we don't test that printer for compatibility as we upgrade our software - so can't confirm it will work / continue to work if it has incidentally worked in the past.

If the printer was previously working for Square, my best guess is that the operating protocols for the SP700 are the same or similar as Star Micronics model that we do officially support. That would explain the printer previously working, though firmware updates to either the printer or Square may mean results vary over time. No harm in trying, though we can't guarantee anything not on the list.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 8

i purchased the printer from square. the sp700 from the website and cannot get the printer to link to the pos machine. The instructions for setup for the star sp700 qr code doesnt work making this issue much larger. If we paid for the printer to work with the stand, drawer, kit we bought why would we receive a non- functioning component

Message 5 of 8
Admin

Hey @wildbrUMby56,

Thanks for reaching out.

You've reached out Australia forum here and I'm noting you've posted a US hardware compatibility link - can I confirm which country you're based in? Sometimes hardware compatibility differs from country to country.

You can find our US forum here, but I'd also be happy to help as much as I can, if you can let me know:

- The exact model number. SP700 is a series of printer, from which I can see we now support the SP742MU, SP742ML, SP742ME, 

SP712MU and SP712ML in the USA

- What Square device you're trying to connect it to

- How you're trying to connect (eg USB, Wifi, ethernet)

Cheers!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 6 of 8

I can’t connect Square register with Kitchen printer SP700 SP742 model??!! Why would this happened??!! On pairing page just showing Epson and Star, Star was connected with receipt printer but Star700’s not connected.

Message 7 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Barnthai 👋

The SP742ML or SP742ME Ethernet printers are compatible with the Square Register. The SP700 is not listed on our compatibility list at the moment. Have you had a chance to give this Ethernet printer troubleshooting guide a try yet? And which exact model are you trying to connect to the Register? 

Message 8 of 8