x
Beta Member

Square POS vs Square for Restaurant

I'm intrigued to know whether Square for Restaurants is something small cafes/takeaway businesses are able to use? My only issue being is that Square POS seems to have a better UI for navigating and adding new products on the tablet.

Is there a reason why we can't add products using the Square for Restaurant App on the iPad? It just seems such a hassle, unless there's a way we can switch over to the Square POS app, create a new item, then transfer it to the Square for Restaurant app. I don't really want to be constantly on the laptop creating the layout and transferring products. I thought the integration between the Restaurant App and the POS App are interlinked.

@Sam_400º I heard that you use the Square for Restaurant App and was wondering are you finding it OK to use? It's just I made the mistake with my partner of testing out the app on the iPad and creating a menu not realising the Square POS app isn't Square for Restaurant - or can't be used/transferred. So we've basically been testing out it's functionality on the app we won't be using in the Cafe.

Message 1 of 4
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Square POS vs Square for Restaurant

@thecafeguy wrote:

How do you switch between the two apps on the same tablet?

Erm, open one or the other 😉

As you can use the restaurant app & the standard one for the same location you just open whatever you want. 

I have a few tablets in a very small space, so there is one just for the online orders screen & it stays open on that. 

@thecafeguy wrote:

I think both apps have its pros/cons but unfortunately I think Square have done it this way so that one app doesn't get all the attention over it's main one.

The standard app is a bit of a cover all, with a load of options. The restaurant app has some amazing features that are designed towards service restaurants with conversational ordering, menus and seating plans etc. 

The Resturant option was only available with a subscription until they recently released a free tier - so I’m not surprised it’s more feature rich & able to be more bespoke to the industry it’s aimed at. 

(This is stuff I don’t really use for my food truck, so one of the reasons I think I prefer the standard app for me). 

@thecafeguy wrote:

It's just I like the idea of adding stuff to the system via the tablet as well as laptop so anything new on the day can be added without forgetting it when I get back home. That's the problem with Square for Restaurant is that it doesn't enable this.

Well I’m assuming there is a web browser on the tablet? 

I think you’re just spoilt for choice & understandably what to use the software that’s going to be best for your set up. 

From what you’ve said I think you’ll end up with the standard app, as that’s got so much customisation there really isn’t much you can’t set it up for. 

1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@thecafeguy I use both really. 

I prefer the standard Square app for walk up orders, as it works with some other stuff I use & I also use the terminal units. 

The restaurant app is amazing for online orders - so I use it on the kitchen side. The way it handles them needs to be moved over to the main app too as it will show them in order of collection & also you can print at the touch of a button. 

They both use the same item library, so you can use them side by side without any problem to see which you prefer 👍🏻

Pizza Is Chill

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

Best Answer

@thecafeguy I use both really. 

I prefer the standard Square app for walk up orders, as it works with some other stuff I use & I also use the terminal units. 

The restaurant app is amazing for online orders - so I use it on the kitchen side. The way it handles them needs to be moved over to the main app too as it will show them in order of collection & also you can print at the touch of a button. 

They both use the same item library, so you can use them side by side without any problem to see which you prefer 👍🏻

Pizza Is Chill

Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

How do you switch between the two apps on the same tablet? This is what's alarming me slightly as I would like to stick with one app to save the troubles of confusing my staff. I think both apps have its pros/cons but unfortunately I think Square have done it this way so that one app doesn't get all the attention over it's main one.

It's just I like the idea of adding stuff to the system via the tablet as well as laptop so anything new on the day can be added without forgetting it when I get back home. That's the problem with Square for Restaurant is that it doesn't enable this.

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

@thecafeguy wrote:

How do you switch between the two apps on the same tablet?

Erm, open one or the other 😉

As you can use the restaurant app & the standard one for the same location you just open whatever you want. 

I have a few tablets in a very small space, so there is one just for the online orders screen & it stays open on that. 

@thecafeguy wrote:

I think both apps have its pros/cons but unfortunately I think Square have done it this way so that one app doesn't get all the attention over it's main one.

The standard app is a bit of a cover all, with a load of options. The restaurant app has some amazing features that are designed towards service restaurants with conversational ordering, menus and seating plans etc. 

The Resturant option was only available with a subscription until they recently released a free tier - so I’m not surprised it’s more feature rich & able to be more bespoke to the industry it’s aimed at. 

(This is stuff I don’t really use for my food truck, so one of the reasons I think I prefer the standard app for me). 

@thecafeguy wrote:

Well I’m assuming there is a web browser on the tablet? 

I think you’re just spoilt for choice & understandably what to use the software that’s going to be best for your set up. 

From what you’ve said I think you’ll end up with the standard app, as that’s got so much customisation there really isn’t much you can’t set it up for. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 4 of 4