x
Admin

Square for Restaurants - What is the state of the Industry?

Hi Seller Community!

We're working with the Square for Restaurants team to help them learn more about the current state of the Industry. We want to build the best possible product to be a partner to your restaurant for years to come. In order to do that we need to know about how you and your business are doing.

There are two actions we’d like you to take on this post:

1. Where are you located, what is your restaurant called, and what is the state of your business and the industry around you?
  2. Reply to other posts you see here to ask questions amongst your peers.

Feel free to share pictures, stories, questions ideas or anything you like.

Please use the reply button below to respond to items 1 and/or 2!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Tags (1)
Message 1 of 11
Report Inappropriate Content
10 REPLIES 10
Admin

Tagging a few Community members from the food and drink industry so you can add your perspective here (if you like!): @maximo @Sam_400º @MileandaThird @thecafeguy 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 11

How about making apps that are compatible with your hardware?

See https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Square-for-Restaurants-Group/Square-Terminal-not-compatible-with-... for further information.

We run a live music venue and bar and it's looking very bleak for us.

We need a means for customers to be able to place their order without coming to the bar/till. 

An app that allows customers to select their table and then select items, which is then relayed to bar automatically as a ticket, would be very helpful.  Ideally this would also allow them to pay, during this process, so that direct interaction between customers and staff is greatly reduced.

Staff would only, then, be required to deliver the orders and clear away empties etc, although we're sure customers would be happy to place tray's of empties in a rack of some kind.

We are new to Square, but they seem very far behind the game on this, particularly considering the compatibility issues with their apps and hardware, which is hard to fathom tbh.  We're struggling to understand why anyone would develop an app that wasn't compatible with the company's hardware solutions.  It seems so counter-intuitive.

Hoping that there's some positive development news on the horizon but we're having to look at other solutions now and would be hard pushed to recommend Square to others.

Message 3 of 11
Super Seller

I'm sorry - but to describe Square as behind the game is quite funny. Regarding compatibility, I've replied to your main thread but I'd suggest buying the hardware that runs the app you want to use if you want all the features. 

Totally more features we'd all love to see, but you seriously need some perspective in all this. 

What you're asking for is (nearly) available as it is now & I have this implemented, although it's a tweak & needs a bit of explaining. Square have their online store where customers can order, customise & pay - I use the collection option & for sit in I ask them to just put their location in the customer note bit. 

Not perfect I know - but it's working fantastically well. 

There are also a few 3rd party options out there for self serve kiosks that integrate with square - although these come with their own set of challenges as multi user stations. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 4 of 11

"...I'd suggest buying the hardware that runs the app you want to use if you want all the features."

That would require us to have to buy iPad's for all waiting staff, but iPads can't take contactless payments so we'd have to buy additional Square Readers, and staff would have to carry those around with them too.

...and would the Square Reader recognise/sync the payment with the ticket/order created in Square for Restaurants on the iPad?

...and what about outside, where we've no WiFi signal?  Staff would also have to utilise another device to act as a 4G hotspot, or we'd have increased expense in purchasing cellular iPads.

I like your suggestion about using the Square store and having customers put their table number in the notes section but, by your own admission, it's a tweak and our concern is that it does rely on the customer getting that right.  Last thing we need is to be trying to find out which table placed which order.

I'm glad it's working for your business, honestly I am, but for newbies like ourselves looking for a solution at this time, it's confusing feeling and talk of tweaks to get something to work isn't ideal.

If all of this is ahead of the game, then I'm a bit lost tbh.

Message 5 of 11
Super Seller

@TradMusicTrust wrote:

That would require us to have to buy iPad's for all waiting staff, but iPads can't take contactless payments so we'd have to buy additional Square Readers, and staff would have to carry those around with them too.

Yes it would, there are a few cases out there that let you attach the reader to the case so it ends up as an all in one. 

@TradMusicTrust wrote:

...and would the Square Reader recognise/sync the payment with the ticket/order created in Square for Restaurants on the iPad?

Yes it would. You'd be running the same app across the board - this seems to be what you want to do? The reader is paired with the iPad & the app knows all the open tickets/tables etc. 

@TradMusicTrust wrote:

...and what about outside, where we've no WiFi signal?  Staff would also have to utilise another device to act as a 4G hotspot, or we'd have increased expense in purchasing cellular iPads.

OK, this is an issue with your business? How do you expect it to work with any device? 

Personally I'd recommend a solid mesh network (as you'd want all your devices on the same network to be able to effectively send the order tickets to the correct place (the iPad sends the ticket to the printer when it goes through & also syncs the ticket with the account. The printers don't connect to the Square servers to be able to get any information themselves). 

@TradMusicTrust wrote:

I'm glad it's working for your business, honestly I am, but for newbies like ourselves looking for a solution at this time, it's confusing feeling and talk of tweaks to get something to work isn't ideal.

If all of this is ahead of the game, then I'm a bit lost tbh.

This is true - but (don't take this the wrong way, everyone here is trying to help) if you want a unicorn you're going to have to fork out the cash to get something custom for your business. 

Squares  offering is mainly as a card processing provider that also has a sturdy software offering alongside an increasing number of extras. You have to understand that it's on you to find the tools you need - it might be the case that Square isn't the tool for what you need. 

I think though the tool for what you really want is a bespoke install that would probably run into the thousands for the set up cost & hundreds for the monthly costs + transaction charges. 

Are you going to go down that route or are you looking for the best balance of cost effectiveness while offering a much enhanced produce over the app based/fixed structure card processors? 

This probably reads as being confrontational, so I'll apologise as it's honestly not intended that way - we've all just got to be realistic about the situation we're in, what's available & what's commercially viable for each business we're running. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 6 of 11

"I'm sorry - but to describe Square as behind the game is quite funny."

qtap.io

There are other options out there that appear much more up to speed than Square was my point.

Message 7 of 11
Super Seller

Right now we're just trying to stay ahead of the game! 

I'm a mobile pizza business with only 1-2 staff working at any one time - all of whom have their hands right in the food. Because of this I've embraced tech that a lot of people are just starting to push in their places now. We've been cash free for 2 years & the only slight change has been asking all customers to order online (even if their standing in front of me 😂) instead of taking walkup orders too - although this will relax soon with more people 'sitting in'. 

My main/biggest wants & needs are all focused around the online side of things. Since Square has branded the weekly side more (& I'm assuming taking more of the management too) things have leapt forwards but there are still some quirks & features that would be awesome. 

Key things (all fed back already...)
• Orders screen for the Terminal
• 'Dine in' option for online orders
• Able to check out with items from multiple locations 
• Clearer options for timed collections (ASAP says 'ready after' rather than 'ready at' - small point but some customers don't understand & order for asap & turn up hours later or put a note in. Also apple pay & google pay can only order for ASAP no scheduled pick ups and would be nice to be able to force scheduled option so customers have to confirm when they want to collect).

I know this really isn't Restaurants focus! 

I've only just started using the Restaurants app & don't use many of the features, the standard software (& Terminal) has worked so well for us.

Pizza Is Chill

Message 8 of 11
Admin

Thank you @Sam_400º  and @TradMusicTrust for your feedback and for helping each other out. I'll also add that phone support is available too if you'd like to chat to someone about your set up.

The online ordering experience is now part and parcel so many businesses these days so I'm not at all surprised that the features you need are primarily for the Online Store.

I know you're facing huge challenges so thanks for helping each other to adapt and thank you for letting us know what you need. (Keep it coming!)

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 9 of 11

We are a small pub in Essex. Like everyone else we were shutdown so we had to reinvent ourselves as an off license. We always used to have a cans and bottles for our customers to drink in but we had to now sell online and allow store pickup.

The plus point was that it was really easy to setup our website and stock using Square and Weebly. We actually made our annual fee for the website in the first weekend.

The issue we found was it was difficult to use our existing card payment system and manage to keep control of the stock. A few weeks ago we got in one of the square payment terminals and it was an absolute godsend! We are still working our way through it with things like various discounts and end-of-day processes but it is working well for us.

Obviously it is really the big test this weekend when we re-open the bar properly. Currently we are taking about 1/2 to 2/3 of what we were making when fully open. The bank holiday weekends were really good and we were making our normal amount.

The only real issue I find it the lack of support - there seems to be a load of apps on Square and Weebly but unfortunately we are unable to use any of them as they aren't supported. There is also the problems with SEO where H1 and image alt-tags aren't supported. I also find it troubling that some of these features have been asked about for literally years but still aren't implemented.

Message 10 of 11
Admin

Thank you @MileandaThird, really glad to hear your move to Square has been a success! We are adding new features all the time, but I know it can seem like progress is slow. Was there a specific feature or app you were looking for?

Best of luck with this weekend - please do let us know how it goes or if you have any feedback after using Square for a 'normal' weekend.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 11 of 11