x

Contactless Credit Card Transactions Not Transferring

We are using Square for Restaurants on the Square Stand with iPad. We have tips enabled and use the Sign receipt function to capture tips. Over the last month I have had several credit card transactions get stuck. Some are awaiting capture and some look like they are pending transfer but just roll over. These transactions are Settled. I've called Support and they manually push them through but are unable to tell me what the issue is.

Two things these transactions have in common are they are Contactless and have a large tip (compared to their bill). 

Is there a limit on tipping in Contactless captures? We are located in California. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey @pebbles,

Do you have Reopen and Keep Payment Method enabled? If you have Reopen and Keep Payment Method enabled, you must run your Close of Day report to batch out and finalize your sales for the transactions to reflect in your reporting.

That should get you started, but to answer your second question …

To maintain a safe processing environment for all Square merchants and their customers, there are tipping limits on your sales. Depending on the size of your sale, the maximum custom tip limits are as follows:

If a transaction is below $3, then the maximum custom tip amount is $3.
If a transaction is over $3, then the maximum custom tip amount can be up to 100% of the transaction.
If a transaction is over $200, then the maximum custom tip amount can be up to 50% of the transaction, up to $1,000.

Learn more about accepting tips with Square Point of Sale.

Message 2 of 6

Thankyou, RobynR. The tip limits you have listed should not have affected us. Although we do have some large tips, none have exceeded the limits.

We are on the Free Version of Restaurants so I do not have the open to Reopen and Keep Payment Method enabled. Nor do we have Close of Day.

Our process for ending a shift is 

1. Review Transactions page, add tips and settle all ccs. 
  2. End Cash Drawer
  3. Run a Sales Report by Team member (We do have Team Plus)

Still curious that this is only happening on Contactless (taps) cc charges. 

Message 3 of 6

@pebbles Hmm, that sounds a bit off. When these transactions get stuck or not captured, are you in Offline mode?

Message 4 of 6

@RobynR 

We are not in Offline Mode. There were four total. Two of them were "Awaiting Capture" and two were in Completed status. The two in completed status needed manual intervention by Square support. Those two transactions looked like they were going to transfer for 3 days but never did.  

Message 5 of 6

@pebbles I want to ensure I'm providing you with the most accurate information. If you still have transactions "awaiting capture," can you please provide a screenshot without sharing any of your account info? 

Also, has this happened again since you posted in the Community?

Message 6 of 6