x
Square

Beta Recruiting | Advanced Sales Tax | NYC Retail businesses

Hi Folks!

We're looking for sellers to test out some new advanced sales tax features. This will allow you to set rules for no tax totals or items under a certain dollar amount. 

Elyn_0-1632930532972.gif

NYC - If item price is below amount and if total price is below amount. The new Sales Tax setting will allow you to configure tax rules for the New York City Clothing and Footwear tax, which exempts clothing and footwear under $110 from New York City and NY State sales tax.

If you'd like to participate click the "Join" below to request access to our Beta community group and we'll make sure you are included when the feature is ready.

Join the Advanced Sales Tax beta

Elyn (She/Her)
Beta Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Beta Member

Hi Elyn,

I sent a request over to join the beta platform for this. I currently have my tax settings to “add tax to price” However, when my customers pay with cash I incorporate sales tax into the price for ease, as I am a mobile vendor at larger music festivals. It is easier for me to absorb the loss in revenue in sales tax when I don’t have to take a loss on processing fees as well. Currently the only option for me to do this is to, at the end of the day, switch the tax settings to “include sales tax” and enter cash sales on the back end. However, it effects my inventory as either me or my staff with forget to write things down on occasion. Will these new advanced sales tax settings allow me to set rules for form of payment?

Message 2 of 3
Square

Hi @thehappiehippie 

The new advanced sales tax rules don't have the option to select by payment option. I do have another suggested workaround though.

When you create a tax you can select specific item for the tax. My thought would be to create duplicates of your items one for cash and one for credit. Then you could create two taxes, cash included tax within price and credit to add tax to the price and select the appropriate items.

This may be a little tricky for inventory BUT you would at least have more accurate sales tracking. I hope this helps 😊

Elyn (She/Her)
Beta Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 3 of 3