x
Beta Member

COGS report not working as expected?

I will explain our scenario first.

We run a bar and sell beer by portion size, 1 pint, 0.5 pint etc.

Within the Items we have each beer setup with different options for each size.

For each of these I have the price we sell at and the price it costs us for each portion.

The COGS report is not working for these items/portions?

It is only working for those that we track the inventory of, like snacks, bottle drinks etc.

Its impossible for us to work out how many 1 pint, 2/3, 1/2 pint in each keg, so it is not possible for me to actually add inventory for these portions.

Now, this is crucial to us, we need to see (for each beer) Total income from sale - total cost of items = profit.

Is there a way I can achieve this? Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
Report Inappropriate Content
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hi @Dirky, thanks for sharing this!

From my previous chat with the team, for the COGS report to work and calculate the profit correctly, the items need to have inventory tracking enabled. Unfortunately without this, COGS report will not calculate. Apology for all the inconvenience caused by this. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

Ahh thanks @tranguyen 

If I add tracking it put say 200 stock for each portion size (so it does not sell out) , is this then going to mess with the 

overall COGS reports?

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Hey @Dirky, you can definitely do that. However, that does mean the COGS will calculate based on the cost of buying 200 of each items and how much you sell, so it might be best to give a figure closer to what is actually available to make sure that the profit calculated is as accurate as it can be. 

Tra
Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

Hi @tranguyen 

This is causing an issue for our reports.

From what I understand its not possible to use the COGS reports (or any profit reporting for that matter)

unless you stipulate an accurate stock count for each item?

This means that somebody selling wine, gin, beer or any item which is sold by differing portion sizes, even though

they have a pre-set 'cost' price for that portion size, will not work with COGS?

I'm used to using Shopify which was able to work out profits well. It essentially just looked at the cost price and sale price and number of those sold and could work out the profit.

For things like bags of crisps, cans of beer, bottles of soft drinks it works as expected, sadly 90% of our trade is for beer, which as mentioned is priced in portion sizes and its impossible for me to set a quantity on each size, as we don't know how many of each portion we are going to sell.

Is there anybody at Square I can speak to about this or see if there is a better way of doing it?

Many thanks

D

Message 5 of 6
Admin

Hey @Dirky, thanks for letting me know!

I'm checking in with our Retail team right now to see if there's any workaround for this but from our discussion, the item will always need the stock tracking enabled in order for COGS report to calculate.

As you're running a bar and restaurant, Square for Retail might not be the best fit in this scenario. We do have integration with software like BevSpot or MarketMan which might be more what you need to track cost needs and sales for beverage. 

Tra
Message 6 of 6