x

Can I accept payments on a PC using the card reader?

Can I accept payments on a PC using the card reader?

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

hey @JkGirl 

Yes you can There are a few different ways you can take payments usings a PC found here .  

To swipe a card payment on your computer, please follow the directions below:

1. From the Virtual Terminal Overview page, select Take a Payment.

2. Plug your Square Reader for Magstripe into the headphone jack of an Apple or Chromebook computer using Safari or Chrome.

3. Select Quick Charge to charge your customer a single dollar amount or Itemized Sale to add an item, modifier, discount, and tax to the sale. You’re also able to apply taxes, discounts, and tips using Itemized Sale.

4. Add an optional note to the sale.

5. Under Payment Method, select Swipe Card.

6. Swipe card or click Charge then swipe.

ScorpionCoating_0-1623923479153.png

Once you see Payment Successful, you’re all set and can print or send a digital receipt to your customer via email or SMS message. You can review and confirm this payment was successful from Transactions in your online Square Dashboard.

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

Best Answer

hey @JkGirl 

Yes you can There are a few different ways you can take payments usings a PC found here .  

To swipe a card payment on your computer, please follow the directions below:

1. From the Virtual Terminal Overview page, select Take a Payment.

2. Plug your Square Reader for Magstripe into the headphone jack of an Apple or Chromebook computer using Safari or Chrome.

3. Select Quick Charge to charge your customer a single dollar amount or Itemized Sale to add an item, modifier, discount, and tax to the sale. You’re also able to apply taxes, discounts, and tips using Itemized Sale.

4. Add an optional note to the sale.

5. Under Payment Method, select Swipe Card.

6. Swipe card or click Charge then swipe.

ScorpionCoating_0-1623923479153.png

Once you see Payment Successful, you’re all set and can print or send a digital receipt to your customer via email or SMS message. You can review and confirm this payment was successful from Transactions in your online Square Dashboard.

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 2 of 7

After speaking with customer service, the contactless card reader does NOT support use with a PC.  Therefore, a secondary device, like an iPad, is required to use the contactless card reader. 6/22/2022.  

Message 3 of 7
Beta Member

So windows PC is completely left out on card reader support?

We pay $50 for the contactless reader and can’t even use it with a windows PC. That sucks

B.M.B
Message 4 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @24-7MobileNotar,

Thanks for being a member of the Community.

In order to swipe card payments using Virtual Terminal, you’ll need:

An Apple or Chromebook computer with a 3.5mm headphone jack using Safari or Chrome internet browsers.
A Square Reader for Magstripe. Your first Square Reader for Magstripe is free when signing up with Square.

Virtual Terminal does not currently support dipped or tapped payments via the Square Contactless and Chip Reader.

Please let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

Message 5 of 7
Beta Member

Right I get that, what I’m saying and now asking is why is windows PC left out completely?

B.M.B
Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @24-7MobileNotar,

At the moment, Windows devices aren’t supported with Square. This would be an exciting feature, as it would make Square’s tools available to more people and businesses, but we’re not currently working on support for Windows. I’ll be sure to let you know if anything changes in the future.

Please reach out if I can assist you with any technical questions or issues.

Message 7 of 7