x

Can I use Square for retail just as a POS, not for payment processing?

I'm looking for a POS system which I can use with my iPad. However, I do not wish to link it to payment processing as I already have a merchant agreement with another company and wish to keep my card transactions separate.  

Is it possible to use Square like this? 

Nicola

Message 1 of 8
Report Inappropriate Content
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Hi @nicolameekin, welcome to the Seller Community!

You can use Square without having to process payments. One thing to note is Square likely won't have an integration with your card payments which meant after recording the sale on Square, you'd need to enter the amount through your own card machine again to complete the transaction.

I hope this will help; let me know if you any other question!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 8

Hi @tranguyen, has Square changed its stance on this as your account advisor advised that they will only onboard customers who sign up for payments?

Confirmation either way would be great.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 8
Super Seller

@darryl1 Ssquare is a card processor that provides an app. To sign up with Square is to sign up with them as a card processor & you need to sign up with them to be able to sign into the app. 

If you don't use the app (or Square) to process the card payments you'd still need your Square login details. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 4 of 8

@Sam_400º Square offer a software solution called Square Retail Plus for £49 per month.

The initial response from @tranguyen indicates that it is fine to use this solution without using Square as a payment provider, "You can use Square without having to process payments".

Clarification from a Square employee would be great.

Message 5 of 8
Super Seller

@darryl1 - it's pretty clear to be fair...... 

There is no minimum amount of processing you have to do, so while signing up means you have the option to run card processing though Square you're not going to be forced to. You can also subscribe to any of the other options with using Square payments.

Even online there is a tier where you can enable PayPal & solely use that instead of Square. 

Pizza Is Chill

Message 6 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Just stepping in for Tra here, @darryl1. Apology for the conflicting messaging that you have received. We have double-checked with the appropriate team and it is possible to use Square to manage stocks and record sales even without processing card payments. Can you send us a DM with some more information on your interaction? That way, we can follow up with our colleague to clarify.

Additionally, the team we chat with do know that businesses who use Square to record sales only would still need to adhere to Square's Payment Terms and there might be some industries or businesses we are unable to onboard.

Emma
Community Manager, Square
Message 7 of 8

Hi @Emma_ ,

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately, we would not adhere to your payment terms so would not be able to use your service.

Thanks for checking though! It's appreciated.

Message 8 of 8