x

iPhone 6 and Socket Mobile 7ci Bluetooth Scanner

I found a similiar question on the forum but the poster did not say how/if he fixed his problem so .... this is my scenario:

1) I can pair my newly purchased Socket Mobile 7ci Bluetooth barcode reader to my IPad Air, open my Square App and scan product barcodes without any problem. Each item and its price get added to the transaction.

2) Having turned off Bluetooth on the aforementioned iPad and paired my Bluetooth barcode scanner with my iPhone 6, I scan the same barcodes and nothing happens within the Point of Sale app on the iPhone. The barcode scanner beeps; it reads the barcode, but the product  is not added to the transaction. If I open "Notes", a different iPhone app on the same phone, I can scan the barcode as text into that app without any problem.

Both the iPhone and iPad are running the very latest version of iOS. I have tried signing out and back into the Square app on my iPhone.

I've tried scanning the appropriate barcode to reset the scanner to factory default settings and scanning the iOS setup barcode with the scanner. No combination of any of the tips I can find online help me to get valid barcodes/SKU's (they work right with my iPad) scanned into a transaction on my iPhone.

As far as I know, the Socket Mobile 7ci should work the same way inside the Square app on either of my iOS devices as long as the scanner is paired to the device.

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 30
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi all! Just dropping in with a quick update 

Last month, we launched the ability to support Bluetooth scanners for iPhones - in addition to our current iPad support - for anyone using Square for Retail and Square Point of Sale. Learn more here!

Note: The Square Retail App is supported on iPads and iPhones running iOS 12.0 or higher.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 15 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Super Seller

I don't know about hooking a scanner directly to an iPhone, but you can still use the free POS app and do inventory management, you don't need to go to Retail, though you can as there are other benefits too.

Message 22 of 30

Is there any app on the phone I can use to scan the barcodes or do I need the Barcode scanner hardware?

Message 23 of 30
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community @shrooz 🎉

I'm not sure if it is possible, but I've moved your post over to this thread where other sellers are discussing barcode scanner options.

Hopefully this thread will provide some insight for you. I recommend checking out Valentina's pinned response at the top of the thread. 😊

Message 24 of 30

Thanks @BernadetteA , much appreciated.

Message 25 of 30

I only use the app on my iPhone XR and the website from my laptop. Which barcode scanner is compatible for these? I purchased a cheap one but every time I scan a barcode the very first barcode item in my inventory pops up every time no matter which barcode I scan! Please help

Message 26 of 30
Admin

Hi @jazzitup45. I moved your question over to this thread. The only bluetooth scanner that would be compatible can only work with the Square POS app on an iPad. 

Sorry for this limitation! Let us know if you have any other questions. We're continuing to track this request.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 27 of 30

We sell steel by the foot.  We would like to have our employees to be able to scan bar codes easily and enter the amount of feet being purchased.  What is the easiest way rather than have an employee hold a large Ipad.  Can the blue tooth bar code scanners be used with phones yet?

thanks!

Message 28 of 30
Square Community Moderator

Hey @apluswelding1!

I found an existing thread with the same question in the Community so I moved your post here.

The scanner is only compatible with the iPad so you wouldn't be able to use a phone to do this unfortunately. 

I do see how that'd be useful though!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 29 of 30

Thank you very much.

Message 30 of 30