x

Can my employees clock-in/clock-out on Square Terminal?

Hello,

Can my employees clock-in/clock-out on Square Terminal?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Alumni

Hi @BlessedBlingy, your employees can absolutely clock in and out on the Square Terminal! If you're set up with Team Management, your employees will be able to clock in/out with their passcodes just as they would with any other supported device.

First, you'll want to enable timecard tracking on your device. In Settings there should be an option called Time Tracking. Ensure this is toggled on - when it is, you can double check by going back to your Checkout screen. Then follow these steps:

1. In the top right corner, you'll see an option to Log In. Go ahead and click this, then immediately look to the top right again and you'll see another option Clock In/Out.
  2. Select this option - the screen will turn blue and your employee can now enter their passcode!
  3. On the next screen, they will be prompted to confirm their "Clock In" time before selecting Clock In.

Hope this is helpful - let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 12

I have time tracking all setup and on the terminal you can see the clock in/clock out. Every time a new employee would clock in, it was logging out or clocking out the previous employee. I only have one terminal. How do I keep this from happening? The all have separate passcodes and are set up with basic team permissions (meaning I don't have Team Plus Subscription). Basically it hosed the machine and we had to do a reboot.  Please advise.

Message 3 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hi @javamo and welcome to the Community!

It sounds like your employees may be on the passcode screen with the shared team permission instead of the clock in/out screen and they're entering their passcodes on the wrong screen. 

It might be best to check in with them and ask them if they're selecting the little clock at the bottom to clock in/out and and not the login screen for the team passcode.

If this isn't the case- I would contact our CS team to take a closer look at your setup and to see if this a bug.

Ashley C
Message 4 of 12

My employee's code does not work for clocking in and out.  How do I reset it for her?

Message 5 of 12
Admin

Hey @Hubbard!

Thanks for reaching out.

To reset the Square Point of Sale passcode for your employee, please follow these steps:

1. Log in to your online Square Dashboard > Employees.
  2. Click on the name of the employee you’d like to update.
  3. Under Permissions, locate the Point of Sale Passcode section.
  4. Create a new passcode or click Generate.
  5. Click Save.

Please note that it can take about 5 minutes for the new passcode to start working. Let me know if that doesn't work! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 6 of 12
Beta Member

Is there a way for my employees to clock in and out without logging me out? I am logged in and then when they click on login to get to the clock-in/out screen it logs me out before they are able to enter their passcode and login.

Message 7 of 12
Admin

Hey @KristiG!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community and welcome! 🌠

If a team member forgets to clock out in Square Point of Sale or is unable to clock out from the Square Team app, you have the ability to clock them out from your online Square Dashboard. To clock a team member out:

1. Visit the Workday section of your online Square Dashboard > adjust the date and location filters to find the team member and shift you would like to edit.
  2. Select an open timecard.
  3. Click Clock Out.
  4. Enter your team member’s clock out time.
  5. Save.

If you’re using Square Payroll, we recommend double-checking your employee hours before importing their hours to Square.

Hope that helps! 💡

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 8 of 12
Beta Member

I've tried to figure this out reading the online help and this forum, but get stuck early. We are using a square terminal for retail. There is no Time Tracking option under Settings to toggle.

1. There is no Log In in the top right corner (there is a Wifi Status Icon). We never see a Clock Icon or Clock In/Out no matter where we are or what we do.

---------------------------------------------------------------

From startup, it says Configure Device. As the owner/manager I log in with my passcode.

Top Left is Logout PL (me) Top Right is the current time (5:05 PM) and a wifi status icon.

Far left screen are navigation icons for Checkout, Transactions, Receive Stock, Orders, Reports, Items, Invoices and then blanks down to the bottom Hamburger Menu. The Hamburger menu simply adds words to the icons when activated.

To the right of the icons is Search "No Customer - 0 Items" and on the right is Add Customer and three horizontal dots (this activates Actions) Actions menu includes Clear CartSell or Check Gift Card, Redeem Customer Reward, Add Custom Amount and Done

In the Main Body we see colored boxes for Items, Customers, Discounts and Saved Carts

Under these boxes we have our direct entry items (we programmed).

Message 9 of 12
Admin

Hey @UNDERDOG-Sports! 🏀 🏈 ️ 

From what I'm gathering, you're using our Square for Retail software, and you do not see a place to enable clocking in and out for your employees. 

To enable Time Card Management with Square for Retail, make sure to head to your online Square Dashboard to enable on your device settings. This can be done by going to Square Dashboard > Devices > Select Device > Scroll down > Enable time-tracking > Save:

Did that work? Let me know 👩🏼‍💻

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 10 of 12
Beta Member

Hi, We use a Square terminal at our take out window and a Square stand for everything else. I noticed that on my square terminal my employees could see all the transactions whereas on the Square stand I have it set so they can only see 4 transactions.  Today I set the terminal to have logins with their passcodes and I used the team passcode to login so they wouldn't have to keep logging in after transactions.  But now the clock in button is not on the top right on the Square stand.  How can I get that back?

Message 11 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Welcome back to the Community, @FoxandLion

Could you check one more setting for me on your Terminal? Take a look at the Time-Tracking options. 

It should be under Settings > Time Tracking. Turn this on, so the clock in/out will reappear. 

Please let me know if this doesn't do the trick and I will circle back. Thank you! 

Kassi
Message 12 of 12