x

Can you do a refund without pulling up a transaction?

We sell mostly gifts at our store and not always do our customers have gift receipts when they return an item. Our policy is to issue gift cards for returns without a receipt. We want to be able to do that without finding a transaction. Is there a way to do a refund with out a transaction? If there is not, there should be because we believe this would be very beneficial to many retailers like us. Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @ccunningham - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community. Good to hear from you!

Currently, Square transaction refunds need to have an original transaction associated with the refund in order to process. In other words, you will need to find the original transaction before processing a refund - even refunding by way of issuing a gift card.

As of now, I don't foresee these refund boundaries changing. Tying refunded transactions back to the original purchase helps protect Square against potential fraud, and helps ensure that Square remains a safe environment for buyers and Sellers alike. I am happy to pass your feedback along to our teams as a Feature Request though, if you like!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Best Answer

Hi there, @ccunningham - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community. Good to hear from you!

Currently, Square transaction refunds need to have an original transaction associated with the refund in order to process. In other words, you will need to find the original transaction before processing a refund - even refunding by way of issuing a gift card.

As of now, I don't foresee these refund boundaries changing. Tying refunded transactions back to the original purchase helps protect Square against potential fraud, and helps ensure that Square remains a safe environment for buyers and Sellers alike. I am happy to pass your feedback along to our teams as a Feature Request though, if you like!

Joe
Message 2 of 5

Hi Joe, 

I came across this answer and wanted to make sure this answer was still the same today? Thank you!

Message 3 of 5

Hey @Museum2022 👋 Yes this hasn't changed. However at this time with the changes we have made to Square Gift Cards you are able to checkout a loaded Gift Card or eGift Card by processing it as "other tender" in your Point of Sale. I know this isn't ideal but might be of help knowing you have that alternative. 

JJ
Message 4 of 5

Thanks, Joe!

Our problem is specifically due to migration and the sales history lost in the process. Down the road, we will not have these situations, but for now, and perhaps the next few months, we will. 

Janis

Message 5 of 5