x

Is there any way to edit an invoice that's already been paid?

Is there any way to edit an item name or note in an invoice that's already been paid?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Admin

Hey @kahte, welcome to the seller community! 👋🏻

Thanks for bringing this up — at this time, the option to edit any payment details after a transaction is complete isn't available. I'll be sure to share your post with the Invoices team.

Some other sellers brought up this topic in another thread — feel free to check out their conversation: Can I backdate or edit a transaction?

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 21

I attempted to view this recommended thread in the community page however i am unable to: Some other sellers brought up this topic in another thread — feel free to check out their conversation: Can I backdate or edit a sale?

Message 3 of 21
Admin

@Bear91 Thanks for bringing this to our attention! I've just updated the post above with a working link: Can I backdate or edit a transaction? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 21

I am also interested in editing an invoice after it's been marked as paid. I took a partial payment from a client, and when entering the payment method (check) it marked it as paid in full when in fact there is still an amount due. Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

Message 5 of 21
Square

Hi @bytgd and welcome to the Seller Community! It's great seeing a fresh face. While I don't have any workarounds to suggest for this, I'm happy to pass along your feedback to our product liaison team. You might also want to check out this thread for more details about the feature request process. Hope to hear more from you in the future! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 6 of 21

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Modify Invoice Notes after paid? Or, what is best way to record check info for a paid invoice?" The author has been notified via email.

Hi there,

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to modify the notes for an invoice marked as paid? 

And/or any best practice or ways to record check info associated with a paid invoice? I have been using the notes part of the invoice when recording or marking it as paid and wonder if there is a better way. 

Message 7 of 21

Can I go back on a paid invoice and add items to categories so my reports are correct when I run them.  I invoiced many invoices in the beginning not realizing how important the reports are to me now and I would like to correct this.

Message 8 of 21
Alumni

Welcome to the Community @jocelyn907 !

Unfortunately, retroactively editing the invoice after it's been paid is no possible with Square. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 21

This is a serious issue with Square and it should be resolved.  

Message 10 of 21
Beta Member

This is another feature that needs fixed with Square.  Same problem here and very frustrating that an invoice cannot be edited after payment.  

Message 11 of 21
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for adding your voice to this feature request @bradrsi. While we don't have an update on this request at the moment, we'll highlight it with our product team. If you'd like to learn more about how feature requests are developed, take a look at this article

Message 12 of 21

Wish there was a way to make changes to an invoice after it's paid.  I have a paid invoice for a wedding cake but the bride wants to change flavors of the cake.  This doesn't change the price she pays but it does change my records of inventory after the cake is done and delivered and I would like to be able to give her record of the change.  I need to be able to edit an invoice to show changes made to cake after the invoice was already paid so I can reissue final details to the bride. 

Message 13 of 21

Hello @AFOH

Welcome to the Seller Community! 

At this time, we cannot make edits to paid Invoices. This is a feature request that we continue to gather information on. If anything changes we will make sure to let you know. 

Have a good day! 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 14 of 21

Its been years since this thread started. When will Square resolve this issue and if they do not want to resolve it is Square recommending any alternatives so we can keep all of our clients information on one flatform. I am having to email changes to the client and consciously while physically having to print them out and attach them to paid in full invoices. Please help! 

Message 15 of 21

Hi, @spicedlavender Welcome to the Seller Community

This feature's a complicated one as adjusting an agreement someone has already agreed to and paid may affect the transparency in our transaction. However, I would like to learn more about your case. Can you elaborate more on your situation? What type of changes are you making to the invoice, and is it an ongoing situation for a particular customer? Is creating a brand new invoice, not a possibility? 

Thanks in advance!

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Message 16 of 21

I am wanting to change the title in a already invoice. I am wanting to make a change to the title so that it says the city and state first. We do real estate photography so for tax records I am needing to keep track of location of work for the day. I have 20 invoices in which they have already been paid, but they do not have the info on the invoice for city and state. I am wanting to change just the title of the invoice. We should be able to edit an invoice that has already been paid if it doesn't affect the price of the invoice. You should allow the option to edit some details on a paid invoice. As others have stated above. This topic has been talked about for years now and there still is no option for us to make small changes that are necessary for our business.

Message 17 of 21

I also agree this is a huge inconvenience. We take payment for rental items prior to a wedding.  Once payment is made I cannot add to the order, I cannot swap out items, and I can't even add notes.  We have to keep notes outside of invoices for these changes because I can't even create a $0 invoice with changes.  Just today I had a bride ask to change the color of her table runners for a wedding a month and a half out that she chose to pay in full already.  I can't update her invoice and send her the new copy that she's asked for.

Message 18 of 21

Hey @SWFL_Rentals,

Welcome to the Community.

While the ability to edit an invoice after it’s been paid isn’t currently available, we’re constantly working to improve our products based on feedback from our customers.

In the meantime, feel free to also share your suggestions in our Ideate Room here

We understand this can be frustrating, and we appreciate your feedback and patience. 

Message 19 of 21

I also agree that this process needs to be changed. It’s an inconvenience to have to keep up with my customers changes else where because I can’t update their invoice after they have paid. I understand Square may not want people abusing this feature but maybe make it to where the customer has to confirm the changes or something.
Not having an option at all just doesn’t help. 

Message 20 of 21
Beta Member

And a customer cannot even make a deposit or partial payment upfront because it locks the invoice and you cannot edit it from that point forward.  This is something that definitely needs fixed. 

Message 21 of 21