x
Beta Member

Changing status of online order from Pending to Paid

We are currently using Square online for our merchandise sales but are having an issue with free online sales.

We consistently run online promotions and as such giveaway quite a lot of free items (with free shipping).  The main issue we are having is that for free orders, Square applies the order status 'Pending'. This means that the shipping integrations (GoShippo, Easyship) do not sync the orders through to their system - this is because those platforms rely on a Square order to have a status of 'Paid' to be pulled through.

My questions are:

• Can we customize the way Square allocates statuses?
  • Can we manually change a status from pending to paid to trigger the shipping integration sync?
  • Can you change the status of an online order from pending to paid via manually exporting, changing, then reimporting.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hey @FortressMelb,

I took a further look into this - unfortunately it looks like there is no way to manually assign an order Status to "Paid". You can change the order status to "Shipped" though - I don't suppose this will push it through to any of the integrations?

I've not seen this issue pop up before, but what you're saying makes sense. If these integrations rely on a "Paid" status to trigger Square orders going to their system, it doesn't look like this is achievable for an order with free shipping + a 100% discount - due to no payment being made.

If changing the order status to "Shipped" doesn't change anything, I'd recommend filing a support ticket with GoShippo or Easyship. Integration partners use Square's APIs to build integrations, however Square doesn't usually play an active role in building, maintaining and supporting 3rd party integrations. It sounds like this may be an edge use case that hasn't been considered in the building of the integration.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

Hi Seamus, Thanks for your response. That was my thinking as well, but was hoping I was missing something obvious.  It would be a great addition to Square to be able to customize Square order statuses, as all businesses are different. Previously with Woocommerce we were able to setup Zapier to notify various departments when certain order statuses were enabled as the item made its way through the worfflow.

Message 3 of 4
Admin

@FortressMelb Order statuses are customisable to some extent - eg you can mark an order as shipped, picked up or delivered, you can change a delivery date, you can cancel an order. I think the issue in this case comes down to a logic rule - eg status "Paid" does not exist for an order in which no payment was made. I'll pass the feedback on to our eCommerce team though, if the "Paid" status is tied to shipping integration functionality it does raise an unexpected use case for marking something as "Paid" (even when there has been no payment).

Also let me know if you're able to get anywhere with the folks at Shippo/Easyship! I'd be requesting their support team to file a bug report if possible!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4