x
Beta Member

Feature Request: On screen survey/question to track referrrals

It would be great if a feature to create a survey/question to ask customers prior (or following) a sale was added to Square Register.  Our specific goal with this would be to capture the reason people came to our store/referral source.  Right now, we have an item in the POS called "Why visit?" and $0 variations for all the possible responses we want to track (word-of-mouth, tv ad, google, email, newspaper, direct mail, etc...) - staff are trained to add this item at the beginning of every sale so we can track the effectiveness of different marketing campaigns and gather metrics on the effectiveness of different marketing strategies (and it's just good to know why people come in/what brought them in).  However, there are obvious deficienies with this method - the item is printed on receipts, which is inconvenient/unprofessional at best.  Tracking/reviewing the data requires use of a sales report.  We rely on staff to always add this to every sale, but they forget or new staff may not be used to doing it right away.  It throws off our counts in terms of items sold since every sale has one extra item.  The problems with it flow through every piece of the POS.

What would be spectacular would be the ability to add one or more "Question" or "Survey" screens either at the beginning or end of a sale (beginning - staff could complete it, end - customer could answer).  We would specify the question and the answer type/options, and it would be the first screen of every sale - so staff would have to answer the question to make the sale.  Ideally, we could make a question optional/mandatory so ones that only apply to a specific segment of customers could be skipped.  And then we could have a simple report showing us the responses.  This has so many potential applications, and seems like it would be (relatively) easy to implement (I know, it's easy for me to say that coming from the customer side rather than development).  

In addition, this could be a great way to collect emails.  I'm always surprised there's no way to collect emails in the checkout workflow.

What do other seller's think about this?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Beta Member

Interesting.  I wouldn't mind the ability to add a survey link on the receipt.  The reviews are nice but they aren't public (like Google) and I think an anonymous type survey might get more usuable info from customers.  @Dan1  raises some interesting ideas

Message 2 of 10
Super Seller

@cmusicshop @Dan1 what if you could automate campaigns beyond a reward after a purchase including a survey / feedback form. Would you find that useful?

Message 3 of 10
Beta Member

@GoGoGuest Actually that's a great idea!  Something we could put together to get more specific info about our unique businesses and services.  For me, just spitballing off of your idea, I'd like to know how my repairs were thought of after the customer has lived with it for a few days.  Even offer a discount if they fill it out.  I could see a lot of potential in this idea.

Message 4 of 10
Super Seller

@cmusicshop thanks so much. Here's what we learned post installation across multiple retailers/brands:

- We learned that customers do care about providing feedback when you ask nicely (with or without a reward)

- Prepare your store/brand for multiple channel customer engagement (web, mobile (not an app) and in-store) means a customer can engage with your brand in any which way they prefer (you're not limited to the POS)

- Send information that is relevant to your customers. We call this smart segmentation. This is useful for sending automated communications/campaigns specific to a customer group based on interests, what they spent, what they bought, frequency of visit, where they are from, etc.

cc @Dan1 since you have two locations and an eCommerce site, do you care to know which customers are cross-purchasing across those channels?

Message 5 of 10
Beta Member

@GoGoGuest Yes, especially between the stores and our tradeshow store and the online site.  Our Square online store hasn't been our primary online presence (we have a WooCommerce store on our site), but we've started accepting Square payments on our WooCommerce site so that should provide some info, including credit card which is most important to identifying a customer across purchases.  We do plan on migrating to the Square online store, we're just having some trouble with shipping cost as we have variable costs in this area and want to pass the actual cost to the customer - current shipping setup doesn't support this.  We use zones in WooCommerce to define regions by state and then the cost per zone for different purchase amount (under $10, $11-30, etc...).  Cost can vary greatly between zones - up to double for far zones - and based on the size box we need to use.  We use USPS. 

Our second store actually exploded (well, the block across the street exploded and we absorbed the shockwave) - so it's currently closed and probably won't open until 2020.  But we have another online store where we track tradeshows separately, and use that regularly too - I would very much like to know who sees us at a tradeshow, and then comes into the store.

Message 6 of 10
Beta Member

@GoGoGuest Yes! Or a survey to collect info - email address if not already in Square, but also address if they're willing to share - we send a yearly order form that generates a significant amount of our traffic and income for the year.

Message 7 of 10
Admin

Hi again @Dan1! Thanks for another great request for the Loyalty and Customer Engagement team. Your workaround sounds great but I can see it has downsides too. 

I just wanted to clarify that you can collect emails from the Point of Sale app at checkout. However, as noted in that article, if you're subscribed to Square Loyalty your customers won't see this option if they earn a star for a transaction. BUT with Loyalty you can incentivize customers to provide their email address by offering points in exchange for their email address instead of having the prompt at checkout.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 8 of 10

Is there a feature that allows me to send an email survey to my customers?

Message 9 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey @amysappetitekc,

I moved your post to an existing thread for this feature request.

It's still something being tracked right now by our Product Team. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 10