x

How can I set the Change Due screen to display longer?

How can I set the register to stay on with the amount of change being given back without printing a receipt.  I have a lot of teenagers who don't know how to count change back and are getting confused. 

Message 1 of 31
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @Heidi1, thanks for bringing this up.

The app will display the amount of change due for a cash payment after you tap the "Tender" button. The amount due should stay up until the "New Sale" option is tapped.

Are you seeing anything different or do your employees need a bit more time? If you haven't already, you might want to change the auto-lock settings on your mobile device to allow a couple of minutes to go by before it goes to sleep. For example, on an iOS device you can do this by going to Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock > select necessary time.

This might help your employees by giving a bit more time to refer to the change due. When I worked retail in a fast-paced atmosphere, I recall having to multi-task by counting change and simultaneously fielding customer questions — being able to refer to the change due was a lifesaver. 😅

Hope this helps clear things up. If I'm missing the mark, or if there's anything else we can do to help streamline this, please let us know!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 13 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Can I make the 'change due' screen display longer when counting change at the end of a cash transaction? It disappears as soon as the receipt prints but that's not enough time for my cashiers to put the money into the drawer, then count and verify the change being given to the customer.

Message 2 of 31
Admin

Hi @Starorchardllc, thanks for surfacing this and sorry for our delayed response!

I noticed that another seller asked about this in another thread. Please have a look at my reply and let us know if that helps. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Message 3 of 31

Hey their, so with my ipad the change due shows up as a bubble but goes away in less than 6 seconds, this is with my screen display settings set to never shut off. is their a way to recall the change back from the last transaction? Or a setting I am missing? thanks.

Liz

Message 4 of 31

Hi Liz, I was having the same problem when I first got my square and my younger kids that didn't know how to count change back weren't giving the correct amount...I am not sure but check in your settings to see under open tickets if your open tickets is switched on and your use open tickets menu as home screen is off and predefined tickets is off too.  This might help...try it.  I will have to check to see how I did it, lol....it has been so long ago.  Heidi.....

Message 5 of 31

This does not help on square register. 

Message 6 of 31
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @FryMe2TheMoon - thanks for reaching out to us again here on the Seller Community. It sounds like you are not the only one currently experiencing issues with this recent change.

I would love to gather some details on this. Firstly, how long is the change screen appearing on the Register and customer facing display? Is there anything specific process that you can tell in which that display disappears? 

I will keep an eye out for your response!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 31

After scrolling for a bit, found where someone said the receipt screen needs to be on. That does help keep the change due on longer. Just seem like a waste of paper when the customer taps for a receipt but doesn’t actually want it...lol. Also, why can’t the tipping screen come on before the customer is instructed to remove their credit card? Seems confusing to a lot of customers and the transaction isn’t complete and won’t print a ticket until they do something with the tipping screen. Many customers just assume the transaction is done and walk away when instructed to remove the card. 

Message 8 of 31

This is a new issue for me as well.  I noticed when the customer is paying with cash, the register opens for change, but the change due screen is now a small black transparent popup that only stays on the screen for mere seconds.  

Up until today, the change screen was a normal screen that stays up until you hit new sale. 

A lot of times, customers are talking to me while I am working the register.  I need the amount due to stay on the screen until I am ready to move to the next customer. 

Message 9 of 31

Thank you for letting us know this is something we can improve on @SqUser2275 - we'll pass your feedback on to our team! 

Message 10 of 31

Did anyone else get a real answer to this question? It is now 2023 and I still cannot get Change due to say more than a few seconds..

Message 11 of 31

Hey, @tkb22 

At this time this feature isn't currently available. However, I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Message 12 of 31
Admin

Best Answer

Hello @Heidi1, thanks for bringing this up.

The app will display the amount of change due for a cash payment after you tap the "Tender" button. The amount due should stay up until the "New Sale" option is tapped.

Are you seeing anything different or do your employees need a bit more time? If you haven't already, you might want to change the auto-lock settings on your mobile device to allow a couple of minutes to go by before it goes to sleep. For example, on an iOS device you can do this by going to Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock > select necessary time.

This might help your employees by giving a bit more time to refer to the change due. When I worked retail in a fast-paced atmosphere, I recall having to multi-task by counting change and simultaneously fielding customer questions — being able to refer to the change due was a lifesaver. 😅

Hope this helps clear things up. If I'm missing the mark, or if there's anything else we can do to help streamline this, please let us know!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 13 of 31

Thank you so much!  This has helped the teens out alot and some adults too!  Thanks again for answering my question! 

Message 14 of 31

We are having the same issue, but these fixes do not seem to have anything to do with our issue.  This issue started once we became members of the loyalty program. The change due only displays for a nano-second if the charge is high enough to warrent the customer earning a start.  Super frustrating. We do print all of our receipt due to other flow considerations and change shows there - but it is in very fine print, and an extra step.  I have called about this and was told you'd be "looking into it", but so far nothing has changed.  Anyone have any ideas?

Message 15 of 31

THis is a problem for me on the register, not on the mobile app.  The change due only comes up in a small black box for a second.  THis is a new issue.

Message 16 of 31

This does not fix the issue on the actual square register. 

Message 17 of 31

You have to disable Skip Receipt Screen. Then the change due is displayed at the top of the receipt screen until you actually press "New Sale".

Message 18 of 31

Thank you... this was the only suggestion that worked.

Message 19 of 31

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know, @karenmstearns - glad you got this one solved.

Feel free to reach back out if anything else comes up. We are here to help!

Joe
Message 20 of 31

Thanks!

Message 21 of 31