x

How do I remove donated items from stock?

We are donating items regularly. What "reason" should we use to record them when we take them out of inventory? None seem to apply!

and

What is the difference between "loss" and "theft"?

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@IRKPA

Just taking some definitions from around the web to better define these for you:

Loss: a loss is a decrease in net income that is outside the normal operations of the business. Losses can result from a number of activities such as; sale of an asset for less than its carrying amount, the write-down of assets, or a loss from lawsuits.

Theft: Just what it sounds likes, stolen goods or funds.

Both of these cause shrinkage in your business and tracking this will help you control shrinkage.

Since the donation button is not an option at this time, I would suggest using Loss (due to no funds being received for these items) to control your inventory and accurately still show the effects on your inventory.

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Admin

Best Answer

@IRKPA

Just taking some definitions from around the web to better define these for you:

Loss: a loss is a decrease in net income that is outside the normal operations of the business. Losses can result from a number of activities such as; sale of an asset for less than its carrying amount, the write-down of assets, or a loss from lawsuits.

Theft: Just what it sounds likes, stolen goods or funds.

Both of these cause shrinkage in your business and tracking this will help you control shrinkage.

Since the donation button is not an option at this time, I would suggest using Loss (due to no funds being received for these items) to control your inventory and accurately still show the effects on your inventory.

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc
Message 2 of 16

Thanks, that makes sense. It sounds like it would also apply to some of our own publications for which we printed too many copies years ago and may sell only a few copies a year even at reduced price.

Message 3 of 16
Admin

@IRKPA

Exactly! Ultimately, this reporting is for you to be able to see the in's and outs of money in the business.  If you have an accountant that prefers you do it a different way, then that would be something to check into as well.

I spent years doing my own books, so these kind of calculations were a really great way for me to see where I was losing/growing/where I needed to trim costs. So it can be an incredibly beneficial tool if you know what you are looking to track.

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc
Message 4 of 16

It would be good for Square to consider adding an "other" option where we could indicate donated goods vs. inventory removed because it isn't selling. We do have to track those differences in QuickBooks Online, but it would be good to check them against records in Square, as we do for sales by location, memberships, etc. to make sure they were entered correctly.

Message 5 of 16
Admin

@IRKPA 

We'll definitely pass that along to the team!

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc
Message 6 of 16

I would like to second the option of "OTHER" as a choice when adjusting inventory.  Here are the choices that I find myself needing on a regular basis that aren't on the list and would be very helpful when running inventory reports.

1.  Donation 

2.  Sold (when a barcode does not scan properly, etc)

3.  Other

Having an "OTHER" option would be most helpful out of the 3. Please pass that on to the team.

Message 7 of 16
Alumni

Thank you for chiming in to let us know how this feature would benefit your business as well, @giggleblossom. I can see how having an "Other" button for miscellaneous inventory purposes could be helpful for a variety of sellers. We'll be sure to pass the additional notes on!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 16

I would also like to have an OTHER button.  We give drinks/popcorn to our volunteers, but need/want a way to keep track of them and theft/loss are not the reasons.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 16

I have donated clothing that hasn't sold in my retail store to local charities. How do I account for that in square for retail ? If I adjust the quantity there is no option for donate. It throws my inventory off completely to leave the items in inventory, and if I delete the items that does not work either because I did pay for the items. They are a loss, but not from theft so that doesn't work either.

Message 10 of 16
Admin

@grove121 Take a look at kellyj's answer above. She gives you info on how to manage those donated items!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 11 of 16

Thanks, I just spoke to someone at square and they suggested I create a discount called donation at 100%, then ring up the items I am donating at that 100% discount donation that I created. That way I am taking it out of inventory, but still accounting for the loss in my numbers. I also at the end will have a receipt that lists the donated items. How does this sound as an option?

Message 12 of 16
Alumni

This sounds like a great way to keep your inventory in check without marking inventory as a Loss or Theft, @grove121! This will ensure that you are still tracking inventory coming in and going out, and you'll have a way to track each batch of donations. Because you specifically named this discount Donation, you'll be able to differentiate this 100% discount from others, if you create them in the future.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 16

I just tried your idea—record a donation by entering a 100% discount—but it doesn't let me "charge" the payment because it has to be at least $1.00. Tried entering it as a cash payment, same thing. Am I doing something wrong??

Message 14 of 16

Thank you for sharing this, this was very helpful. 

Message 15 of 16
Beta Member

I have created a comp reason “Donation” so that I can “sell” the item and the sale will remove the item from inventory. 

Message 16 of 16