x

I am attempting to do a buy back program. How can do that?

I want to offer a buy back program where I purchase items back from customers. This obviously would require being able to itemize the credit(ish). So I know that I can't create an item with a negative value. I suppose what I would need to do is at the point of buy back, calculate what I'm offering for the item(s) and create a discount code for that particular transaction on the fly. And make it a one time use.

If they don't purchase from me same day, can that discount code then be sent to them for future use? 

If they don't purchase from me and they want cash today, can I process a $0.00 transaction with the code and give them cash?

I'm open to suggestions.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hey @923Fabrics and welcome to the Community!

I personally cannot think of a way you could do this since it's not what the POS is designed to do currently.

The thread will remain open/visible to other sellers if someone knows of a way you could and could chime in but at the time I really don't have a great answer or any way I could think of how to do so.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

Why didn't you add to your system the ability for a negative amount? You can apply 2 - 100% discounts for a specific item on your (our) dashboard, but your system will not apply the negative number to the total sales.

Example of what we are trying to do, we buy back good/clean mason jars, we can create the item but of course will not allow a negative amount in there. We can create 2-100% discounts for a specific item and have it automatically apply, but the system will not show a negative number for amount owed, also will not allow for a cash refund. From what I read this can only happen through credit card purchases, but I don't see how that can happen if the system doesn't allow for a negative number. I have also read about putting said monies on a gift card, but again, not sure how that would be applied.

Finally, in doing a item button like that, with a negative amount (That will directly applied to their purchase if doing so) will allow us to track how many said items were purchased back and figured into our business cost when purchasing new supplies.

Why hasn't square thought of this and made ultimately made the refund process so difficult?? It happens with just about every business out there. You have to at some point if your a business owner have to give out a refund in cash even sometimes. It would be nice to be able to do this and track it all under 1 roof/app. 

Has there not been any progress in this part of your POS  programming? 

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @LRJFarm14789

This has been a feature request for some time now. I will make sure to pass your feedback/experience to our product team for them to consider it in future updates or developments. 

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4