x

If I delete an item does it delete it permently or archive the item?

If I am trying to clean up and clear out my inventory...does deleting an item remove it completely and permanently or archive it?

Message 1 of 47
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: If I delete an item does it delete it permently or archive the item?

Hi all 👋,

I'd like to extend my gratitude to everyone who contributed their vote for the option to archive items in our Item Library. For those who may have missed the update, I'm pleased to announce that Square now offers the capability to archive items directly from both the online Square Dashboard. Thank you for your input and support in making this enhancement possible!

Archived items will still appear in your inventory reports. When you archive items, you will not be able to manage actions such as tracking, adjusting stock, editing variations, or managing stock until you unarchive the item.

You can learn more about this process by visiting our online guide here.

1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @PrairiePrincess 👋 Thanks for chiming in with this question. It is a good one!

If you delete an item, it will permanently delete it from your Item Library. We currently don't offer the ability to 'archive' an item, but deleted items will still reflect within your reports for record keeping purposes

I hope this information is helpful! Let me know if you have any follow up questions. I am here to help!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Best Answer

Hi there, @PrairiePrincess 👋 Thanks for chiming in with this question. It is a good one!

If you delete an item, it will permanently delete it from your Item Library. We currently don't offer the ability to 'archive' an item, but deleted items will still reflect within your reports for record keeping purposes

I hope this information is helpful! Let me know if you have any follow up questions. I am here to help!

Joe
Message 2 of 47

I would like to see the option of archiving items.

Karen I
Message 3 of 47
Admin

Hey @rootstudio!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. 

This is a great suggestion. We'll make sure to pass this insight along to the appropriate team.

As @Joe mentioned, even if you delete the item, you'll still be able to view it in previous sales reports where the item was sold. You will always have those records. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 4 of 47

Wow. I can not even believe that this isn't already feature. How incredibly frustrating for us to have to add, delete, and re-add items. Please fix this!

Message 5 of 47

YES!! Archiving items that also removes them from the main list would be AMAZING.

Message 6 of 47

Thanks for adding your voice in support of this Feature Request, @ArtfulSaucier! We appreciate it. We will continue to update everyone on this thread as soon as we have more info to share.

Thanks, again!

Joe
Message 7 of 47

I would also like the option to archive items to be available in the very near future. In fact, I'm really surprised it has not been introduced as it seems like it would be beneficial to the majority of Square users. 

Message 8 of 47
Alumni

I'm right with you @MarianBLUE! I tagged your post as another tally mark on the back-end. Hopefully we can announce some promising news soon 🙂

Justin
Message 9 of 47

@JustinC any update on the availability of an archiving feature? 

Message 10 of 47

add my vote in as well

Message 11 of 47

Being able to archive items would be extremely helpful, especially with the online store. Problems such as this, inability to perform exchanges, quality of Weebly website and ease of editing is really making me think hard about going with another POS system and card processing company. 

Message 12 of 47
Beta Member

Also looking for the ability to archive! Thx

Message 13 of 47
Beta Member

Another vote from me for an archive feature!

Here's a use case - I own a coffee shop and I set up at car shows, festivals, etc a few times a year. When I do those events I have a limited menu and the pricing is different than in the shop. I set up a category named "Events" and put those menu items in that category. At the event, we use the reader on a cell phone and only dispay the Even category. Quick and easy check out. But... In the shop, my baristas will use the search function to find menu items and then ring up the Event menu item accidentally. Currently, I can only prevent this by deleting the item after every event. An archive option would let me "toggle" them off during normal use. 

Here's one more - I partner with a local family that lost a child to sell fundraiser shirts. We carry some of their shirts in my gift shop year round and then do big special order events a few times a year. For those events, I put the shirts in a "Presale" category. That makes it stand out on my online menu and helps me organize the order for the shirt vendor. Works great! Except for the rest of the year when my baristas use the search function to pull up shirts and then accidentally ring up a presale shirt when it was actually a gift sale shirt. My only current work around would be to delete the shirts and then reenter them next time. Our last order was about 10 shirt styles with multiple size and color options for each. It'd take me way too long to recreate that menu every time so I leave it. An archive option would fix this.

Thanks!

Message 14 of 47

If it is permanently deleted, why did I have a deleted item in my history asking me to add a unit cost?

Message 15 of 47
Beta Member

It is September 2022....This feature needs to be added. It is crazy that the only options are to delete an item or keep an item active. On online Weebly has an visible, hidden, unavailable option but there is no report functionality.  

Message 16 of 47

I totally agree with u. This should be a standard function. I have items that are year dependent. I want to archive them to bring them back but I can’t. I honestly don’t find Square to be a easy to use platform and I’m actively looking for another platform to meet my needs

Message 17 of 47

Hey @mooretoys @ChristinaBritt,

Thank you both for your suggestions. Please check out this Best Answer from JJ.

I hope this information is helpful! Let me know if you have any follow-up questions. I am here to help!

Message 18 of 47

to add to the vote, I would really also like the option to archive an item so i  dont have to add it again when I need it. 

Message 19 of 47

Hey @wildwaters welcome to the Seller Community and thank you so much for sharing your vote for this feature request. Each one helps and allows us to send more and more feedback to our Development Team.

Thanks again and please let us know if you have any questions. 🙂

AshleyK
Message 20 of 47

Another vote to add an archiving feature!

Message 21 of 47