x

If I delete an item does it delete it permently or archive the item?

If I am trying to clean up and clear out my inventory...does deleting an item remove it completely and permanently or archive it?

Message 1 of 47
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: If I delete an item does it delete it permently or archive the item?

Hi all 👋,

I'd like to extend my gratitude to everyone who contributed their vote for the option to archive items in our Item Library. For those who may have missed the update, I'm pleased to announce that Square now offers the capability to archive items directly from both the online Square Dashboard. Thank you for your input and support in making this enhancement possible!

Archived items will still appear in your inventory reports. When you archive items, you will not be able to manage actions such as tracking, adjusting stock, editing variations, or managing stock until you unarchive the item.

You can learn more about this process by visiting our online guide here.

1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @PrairiePrincess 👋 Thanks for chiming in with this question. It is a good one!

If you delete an item, it will permanently delete it from your Item Library. We currently don't offer the ability to 'archive' an item, but deleted items will still reflect within your reports for record keeping purposes

I hope this information is helpful! Let me know if you have any follow up questions. I am here to help!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

@upcyclecrc Thank you for the vote!! 🙌😍

AshleyK
Message 22 of 47

Can you add us to the list as well? Deleting is good but archiving would come in handy too.

Message 23 of 47

ditto here!

Message 24 of 47

I also vote for an archiving feature!

Message 25 of 47
Beta Member

I have a lot of inventory. Many items are sold out, and will never be available again. I would like to archive these items somehow. I don't really want to lose the sales data, but archiving items so that it doesn't pull up in my Dashboard inventory would be greatly appreciated.

Because I have over 30,000+ skus  I need a cleaner way to view inventory while working on it.  My idea would be:

When exporting data having the ability to place a mark on a data line in a "column" so that the particular tokens do not display on the dashboard when the inventory is next imported from the file.  This would also be helpful if mistakes are made so that complete data or tokens are lost.  As far as completely deleting tokens, I understand the previous sales data is not lost, but feel uncomfortable when mistakes are made, and losing upload sku's and rework, or connecting previous sales data when an item (if ever in my case) becomes available again.  Bulk archiving would be preferred.

The only thing I can think of is to label all data that is not "in use" as "Archive" or "sold out" or something so that they all pull up together. Unfortunately, the number I sku's I carry is pretty much infinite as long as I am in business.  I would hate to have another 6-month crash as I did at the beginning of this year.  I still have not recovered.

Thanks

Message 26 of 47

Hello @melonstcbs,

Thank you kindly for your insightful post. Its also great to see you posting in the Seller Community again, welcome! 😊

I'm going to move your post to a similar thread here. Currently, the ability to archive items is not a feature for the Retail app at this time. Take a look at @Joe's and @isabelle's response to these prior requests.

We still appreciate your feedback regardless because this essentially helps us advocate these requests to the product team. 

Frida
Message 27 of 47
Beta Member

Yes, Thank you.  I read through these.  These weren't exactly what I was looking for.  But thanks for responding.

Message 28 of 47

Another vote for archiving/restore

Message 29 of 47

Throwing my vote in as well. This would be an incredibly useful feature.

Message 30 of 47

Thanks for adding your vote here, @azimmermann. We'll highlight this with our product team for consideration again!

PS. I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community 👋 🙂

Message 31 of 47

I vote for this feature. As someone who creates ALOT of new inventory, it would be nice to be able to archive the items once they are sold out encase I would like to add stock back to it at any point. I also, wonder how deleting items effects the future reports.

Message 32 of 47

Another customer looking for the archive!

Message 33 of 47

I would like to archive as well!

Message 34 of 47

Please add my vote for the ability to archive items. I also would want the ability to restore (un-archive) items as needed. I could see this being a simple checkbox within the item. I would also like the ability to filter archived items in or out when searching the full list. Having this feature, and being able to not include archived items would help greatly at end of year manual inventory, as we print the full list, and there's no point to have things that have been discontinued on the list. Thanks!

Message 35 of 47

Please add an archiving option!

Message 36 of 47

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest in this feature @RMLLC I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers' interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Message 37 of 47

For anyone still looking for this feature, there is a sort of workaround I've found which is to edit the item and just uncheck it from whatever "location" you don't want it appearing on the POS for.  It's still in the main lists on the back-end of square but won't show up in whatever "locations" you remove it from.

Hopefully square eventually adds the very basic archive feature that literally every other POS system has.  Snark very much intended.

Message 38 of 47

We'd like to see archive too

Message 39 of 47

@DestinationPSP we appreciate you adding your voice to the conversation.

While we have no news to share on the archiving item feature request, another workaround in the meantime would be to export your Item Library prior to deleting items from your inventory. This way, you have a record of previous items that you can easily import again as required.

I've included a step-by-step process to export and import your inventory. It's best practice to get into the habit of making regular backups on your Item Library in the event you need to replace or bulk edit your items in future.

Let me know if you have any questions about this process in the meantime and I'll be happy to help.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Message 40 of 47
Beta Member

How many requests do you need to make this feature available? All the data is in a database - add a field for archive. 

Message 41 of 47
Beta Member

Add us to the Archives Wanted team!

Message 42 of 47