x

Feature request: Custom Inventory Adjustment reasons

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Inventory Adjustment Reasons

While I am very thankful for the in-app inventory tracking, the options for adjusting seem to lack a few. Could we make that customizable to meet specific needs? In my opinion Damage, Theft, Loss are pretty much the same, however I need an option for “Store Use” or “Transfer” (out for the most part as transfer in can be considered stock received, I suppose.)

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your voice here, @BlossomAmber. We appreciate your patience here! We will be sure to vocalize any updates going forward here. Thanks so much! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 22 of 44

Just a suggestion to add Exchange as a "reason" for inventory change.  Restock return is helpful for the item returned, but if they exchange it for another size, the inventory adjustment only includes loss, damage, theft or inventory recount.  Does not give an option for exchange

Message 23 of 44

What is the status of this request? This feature is definitely needed. I often give items away or trade an item out to another business in exchange for something from their store. Neither of these area accounted for on an invoice. I can track the incoming item by using Inventory Received but that still leaves me without a way to track items going out. Therefore, I have to pick something that is already there that does not accurately describe how these items left my shop. This is causing a lot of manual tracking for tax purposes. I shouldn't have to do that.  We need a way to customize the Inventory Adjustment Reasons. 

Message 24 of 44
Beta Member

I would like to suggest we add an adjustment reason - I use products to make new products and there isn't a choice outside of inventory re-count.  Please add this reason.

Message 25 of 44
Alumni

Thanks for sharing your suggestions @Societe - a very popular request but i'm afraid there's no shareable news on the road-map of this feature yet. 

Subscribe to this thread I moved you to so you're the first to know if anything changes. 

Justin
Message 26 of 44

Hi, I see that there have been varying requests for adding reasons for stock reduction (since 2017). As a retail business, like some of the businesses that have posted here, I often am asked to donate items from my inventory to a non-profit for auction, raffles, etc. This is a tax-deductible action on my inventory. I see that I create a ticket, scan the inventory in and then mark each item as donation so that there is no effect on cash, and the item(s) are removed from inventory. But, at the end of the month, quarter or year, how do I find that information? How do I run a report that shows me how much of my inventory was donated? Sean from Square, in 2017, responded that this was something Quickbooks should be able to do, but QB needs the info from me. QB doesn't track my inventory, Square does. So how do I find this info?

Message 27 of 44

It is now 2021, is there still no option to create/edit the reasons for adjusting stock?

Message 28 of 44
Super Seller

I would also like to chime in on this.  We use Square For Retail.  We pull inventory for store use, samples, etc.  It would be very helpful to be able to adjust inventory for this.  We also are not sure if it is better to just reduce stock or ring it up with a comp.  
Does anyone have any feedback on this?

~Cheryl!
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!

Cheryl! Tisland
Burst Of Butterflies Create & Paint Studio

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 29 of 44

All this feed back for adding "Store Use" and there still is no option! It would really help use out to be able to get our inventory management down to a match. Please add this option!!

Message 30 of 44

Hello!!  We really need the ability to have a reason other than those listed.  We have store use and we also bundle products or use products to make new products.  PLEASE!!   This is not a difficult feature to add.  

Message 31 of 44

Hi @CascadeGarden - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

I can totally see the need for a feature like this and how beneficial it could be for sellers. I'll be happy to move this over to a feature request board so that our engineers have visibility of your suggestion. We appreciate you sharing your request. While there is no time frame for when it will be implemented, i'm happy to make sure our engineers have eyes on your request. 

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Message 32 of 44
Beta Member

Thank you for highlighting this for possible improvement to inventory management. If there was even an "other" option to the inventory options with an area for notes to distinguish the reason like store use, donation, advert/marketing. This would be incredibly useful and better than always doing an "inventory recount" which is presently the only impractical option. 

Message 33 of 44
Beta Member

Yes, please - the current options for Inventory Adjustments are not adequate. I would much rather have just "Loss" and then the ability to list a reason for the Loss (such as Sampling, Internal Use, etc.) 

Message 34 of 44

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest in this feature @EricGertner I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include one desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

JJ
Message 35 of 44

Here is my work around using square for retail.  Create new customer named “Store Use” adjust price of items to $0.  Gives you tracking ability and adjusts your inventory.

Message 36 of 44

Thank you for sharing this workaround, @SUPTahoe

Message 37 of 44

We also would love more options. Our work around is to create some discount codes of 100% (Sample, Donation etc) then run a sale for any items using the proper discount. 

Message 38 of 44
Super Seller

@pfeller , we have done that as well.  

However, the problem, as you probably know, is that this skews the sales reports for gross sales and top item sales.

We tried using the Comp feature, which is nice because it allows custom reasons such as "donation", "internal use", "sample".

However, these get lumped in with discounts on sales reports, so you cannot get a true sense of customer discounts vs comps for store samples.

We once had to comp a whole case of an item due to damage, and that whole month it showed that item as the #1 seller for the month in the top item sales report.  Frustrating!

It would be really helpful if reporting could separate Comps from Discounts and also detail the Comp reason.  It would be also excellent if Comp items didn't calculate in top item sales.

~Cheryl!
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!

Cheryl! Tisland
Burst Of Butterflies Create & Paint Studio

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 39 of 44

Absolutely correct, not a great workaround! And there isn’t a lot of flexibility in the reports to be able to deal with this …

Message 40 of 44
Beta Member

Any chance of this happening?  

Message 41 of 44
Beta Member

Yes. I'd like to add my voice for this request. Please!!!! As great as Square is, the inventory management function is frustratingly lacking here.  Inventory isn't just received, damaged, recounted, lost, etc. Inventory can be legitimately used for advert/market, use in another product, donations or other retail store use. Users should be able to accurately reflect these alternative uses within Square without resorting to a hack or an external spreadsheet.  Even just adding an  "Other" option with a space for users to add a short searchable note (eg donation, advert/market, etc.) would be a big help. Thank you!

Message 42 of 44