x

Feature Request: "Mark as Shipped" option and a space to add tracking number to paid Invoices

Feature Request: "Mark as Shipped" option and a space to add tracking number to paid Invoices

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Invoice Feature Suggestion

I would like to suggest a feature for invoices that is already available for website orders. We currently have the ability to keep up with the progress of our website orders, add tracking numbers for shipments, etc. I do most of my business through invoicing, so unfortunately I do not have the ability to do any of these things. Would it be possible to apply the same features to the invoice tab on the app?  

4 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: "Mark as Shipped" option and a space to add tracking number to paid I

PLEASE add this feature to invoices. It's ridiculous to have to e-mail our customers separate from the invoice to inform them of their shipping and tracking info, and not be able to see myself the same information from the invoice itself.

Similarly, why can't we create shipping labels for invoices? I'm really hoping we're just overlooking the obvious here. Instead, we've had to create a hidden page for our store and, for every invoice, log into that hidden page, put in a bogus order for "Shipping Label", then go to Square Online (Weebly), to create the label. That's a TON of extra and disconnected steps, not to mention the need to even set up the additional page, fake item, etc.

I really don't understand how features like this (a) don't exist and (b) take an inexcusable amount of time to implement.

Verified Answer

Re: Item shipped option on invoice

If you are using a Square Online website to allow customers to purchase items from you online, you are able to mark orders as ready for pickup or mark as shipped, @alfoster163.

It isn't possible to take these actions using Square Invoices. If something changes, we'll update this thread!

Verified Answer

Re: adding shipping cost

You are correct that there isn’t a specific shipping option and that you have to enter shipping as a line item. Hopefully this will be fixed quickly. 

For the the time being, for wholesale discounting, you can have line item discounts. From the dashboard, click on the customize link (if the screen doesn’t pop up immediately when you enter the item) and manually add the discount here. For the Point of Sale or Invoices app, you can tap on the item and scroll down to add a discount. This does add some time for invoice creation versus one discount at the end, but this way your shipping isn’t discounted. 

Verified Answer

Re: Where can I add flat rate shipping to invoice?

There isn't a native way to do this yet, unfortunately.

What I do for flat rate shipping is have an item named Shipping with a variable price. I add this to the invoice when needed.

136 Comments

@Lkh 

When you create or edit an item into your Square Items, there is a Sales Tax box. Turn off the tax for your Shipping cost. That's what I did anyway.

that won't work for us as then it counts "shipping" as revenue - as something you SOLD, and that this not the case. 

We don't want to include shipping as revenue when we report to our accountant.

I have asked for years why there is no line to add shipping charges. My ship charges can't be taxed or discounted which happens due to no separate ship line. Why is this so hard? just put a ship line in already. This has kept me from using square for many many invoices. If PayPal can have one it can't be that hard. Without the line you are making me crazy...and making me avoid square...and I really like square.

Alumni

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how useful Square Invoices would be for you - if you were able to add shipping charges on a separate ship line, @alida. While this isn't a feature that's been built out yet, I've moved your post to this thread where others have expressed interest in the same feature. This way, our product teams have a bit more visibility into why this is being requested.

Take a peek at @ryanwanner's Best Answer here - it may help in the meantime. We'll be sure to drop by to update this thread if we have news to share, and you'll receive a notification when new posts are added here!

You may hear me but I asked about this years ago...how hard could it be to add a shipping line? Give me the codes and I'll put the darn thing in. The confusion for my clients is unacceptable.

This is why I cannot use Square for anything that needs a ship charge and that is why 90% of my biz is going to PayPal.

Don't 'hear me' again without doing anything. 

duh. 

I charge a flat rate of $5.00 for shipping. When do you expect to have the option to enter shipping cost at the bottom of the invoice. Adding a item line charges tax on the shipping which is not fair to my customers. Adjusting discounts is not an option for me as I don't give discounts. 

@Cuteapples32 wrote:

This has been a request for a while now.  Is this a feature that is going to ever be available? It would be nice to be able to mark it shipped and provide tracking to invoices. 

From where I stand, it looks like Square is putting all their attention into Cash App and Bitcoin since that's where they make the majority of their money.

It's hard for me to fathom that any developer wouldn't bring this to the table before they rolled out the option to *REQUEST SHIPPING ADDRESS" but what baffling is how a modern tech company like Square could ignore this for FOR 4 YEARS NOW.  

This ain't Yaho Geocities, it's 2020. They shouldn't offer the option for customers to add a shipping address if merchants can't add tracking info. At very least, they should add a checkbox to mark it as shipped!

GOT API?

They don't even need to #LearnToCode. Both UPS and FedEx offer API's that seamlessly integrate. Even the incompetent USPS has Web Tools. Look how easy it is for the rest of the modern world:

Square Community Moderator

@BLyn are you referring to wanting to add shipping information to invoices? You can always attach files to your invoices, which could include your order form/shipping information as well. 

Hi Ashley!

I guess what I'm meaning is I want my invoice orders to also show up in the orders tab on the app, just like my website orders do. Once an invoice is paid, I would like it to automatically be sorted into the orders tab and have all of the same features associated with processing website orders. I hope I'm making sense.

For example, a friend of mine uses Shopify and every order that is placed on the website and every order that is invoiced are all in the same place, organized in the order they were paid in.