x

Is there any way to separate retail from service from the total so the retail is tip exempt?

Is there any way to separate retail from service from the total so the retail is tip exempt?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 47
2 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there!

Square currently applies tips to the total amount of a sale. There isn't a way to have the tip amounts applied on an item or service level basis only, but that is definitely a request I'll be sending over to our Product Team. 

One work around that comes to mind would be to ring up your customer for two payments, separating the service and the retail items. 

Hopefully one of your fellow sellers can chime in and provide their own work flow that they use. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 47

Best Answer

There isn't one, we posted about this also.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

Best Answer

Hi there!

Square currently applies tips to the total amount of a sale. There isn't a way to have the tip amounts applied on an item or service level basis only, but that is definitely a request I'll be sending over to our Product Team. 

One work around that comes to mind would be to ring up your customer for two payments, separating the service and the retail items. 

Hopefully one of your fellow sellers can chime in and provide their own work flow that they use. 

Message 2 of 47

Best Answer

There isn't one, we posted about this also.

Message 3 of 47

I need to do this too. I don't want to ring two transactions, that's very strange and awkward for my customers. 

Message 4 of 47

I too am interested in having this feature as well as applying tax only to retail products versus tax on services on the same ticket.

TIA for any assistance. 

Message 5 of 47

I have to turn it on and off between retail sales and service sales.  It can’t be hard to set it up the same way taxes can be applied to retail and not to services.  When I forget to turn it off people tip me for buying stuff from me and I feel like a jerk.

Message 6 of 47

Thanks for sharing your experience this is valuable feedback @Solco2022.

I will make sure our product team gets visibility on the matter.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 47
Beta Member

This issue was initially reported in 2016 and hasn't been fixed yet... It's a big limitation for our studio and my front desk team feel very awkward asking clients to check out twice to avoid tipping on product purchases.

Message 8 of 47

Hey @JoeBritz,

Welcome back to the Community!

I get it can be frustrating, but feedback like this is what helps us constantly improve.  We have implemented a new way for you and our Product team to keep track of the many feature request we receive. If you haven't already, feel free to also share your suggestions in our Ideate Room here: squ.re/ideate.  

Let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

Message 9 of 47
Beta Member

We just moved to square and this is a big problem for us. We'll run over a million a year through the register but will soon leave square if this feature isn't fixed. This is crazy.

Message 10 of 47

I am also interested in an option to limit suggested tips to services and not retail.

Message 11 of 47

@uss Thanks for sharing your interest with this. Hopefully this feature picks up some momentum and our Product Team can implement something in our future product updates. 

If anything changes, we'll let you all know. 

Message 12 of 47

I don't know that this was resolved; but along the same lines:

Is there a way to seperate two services on the same bill/charge?

Example:  One employee gives the manicure and another the pedicure, can I seperate the charges on one bill go insure the employees are credited with the sale and still only change the customer's credit card once.

Message 13 of 47
Admin

Hey @Deshi, this is a request that our Employee Management team is tracking, but we don't have a timeline for when it would be available.

Another seller offered a workaround for the time being. Have a look at @GroveandBaker's comment in: "Tracking individual product sales by stylists" and let us know if that helps.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 14 of 47

When having a product and a service on the same receipt, how do I exclude the tipping to de added to the product amount? If you can add tax to curtain items, why can’t you exclude the tipping on a product? If it’s not possible....that’s just nuts!

Message 15 of 47

Hey @Questions,

I moved your post to an existing thread where another seller had the same question.

There's not a way to do this but EJ provided a workaround above.

Ashley C
Message 16 of 47

This is a topic I have been trying to get answered for years. I see the first post on the thread was 4 years ago. Has the Square team come up with any solutions on this yet?

I own a salon and clients hate having to figure out a custom amount on their services only when also making retail purchases. And making two transactions is a terrible solution. More fees going to you, yay.

Let me know the status. Thank You.

Message 17 of 47

Hey @blakebird and welcome to the Community.

There's currently no updates to give at this time. However if an update does become available- we'll be sure to update the relevant threads!

Ashley C
Message 18 of 47

Please fix this problem for us small business that offer services and items for sale. It really can’t be that hard for you to have an update for this.

Message 19 of 47

I can't believe Square has not fixed this problem for small business. Alot of us offer services and retail. It's 2020 and we still have to make 2 different transactions! That's another fee for us and so weird for the customer!!

Message 20 of 47

Let's all post about this problem on Instagram....maybe Square will fix this problem. We all have alot of other small business following are accounts. I wish, I would of know that you can't separate a tip from an item for sale on the same ticket as a service! I would of went with a different payment service. I've already spent alot of money on my terminal. 

Message 21 of 47