x

More convenient way to print labels?

We have learned the traditional way to print labels through the Dashboard, but wondering if Square could introduce a way to print labels right after entry of new stock / new items, rather than having to back out of that screen, then go into the label printing function. 

Has anyone else had this thought? Are there alternate ways to print labels? 

Thanks. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

I would also love to see this and posted it somewhere on here a while back as well.  The process is very tedious.  It seems that after updating stock and saving the item, we should be able to simply print the labels from that screen.  Instead, we have to go back to the main screen and print labels from there and then lookup the item that we just updated on the label printing screen.  Also, we often waste labels by mistake because of the way the process works.  For example, if there are already five in stock of the item and we just receive in five more, then save the item and then exit the item screen and then go to the label printing screen and then lookup the item, if we hit print labels, we will get 10 labels.  We have to always remember to change the count to the amount that we just received.  The whole process is extremely time consuming and tedious and we agree with you, @afzimms , that it would be nice to see this improved.

~Cheryl!
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!

Cheryl! Tisland
Burst Of Butterflies Create & Paint Studio

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 2 of 6

This would be incredibly helpful as opposed to having to manually select every single style by SKU. It takes entirely too long. 

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

Here is what I do, When I do a purchase order for my items I get the SKU setup and ready with quantity filled in.  Then when the delivery is out for delivery using UPS, FedEx tracking etc I print out the labels from a label printer in the quantity that I will be receiving.  This is so that I can basically check my inventory I received with what I ordered and then the quantities are already in Square.  We make candles and currently have 133 different scents in 3 jar sizes, votives, wax melts and pillars in 10 different sizes.. so 50 different labels times 133 scents  is a lot to keep track of plus some inventory items we receive have no barcodes for us to scan and we make labels to scan for those items too.  This is all done in the back office and not through Square since this process is faster for us.   Once my Label, Barcode is saved in a folder on a computer, I just click that folder select the label then hit print X quantity.  So I have my items listed by categories types etc so they are easy to find the file I need printed.  Items that have barcodes on them I just use their barcodes.   

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 6

I agree that this is a major barrier to using the system to print barcodes. As the original posters says, it's very inconvenient to enter a bunch of stock items, then have to select Print Barcodes and then search for them _again_ to print the labels. Ideally I'd like to see the ability to sort the inventory list by time/date entered so the most recently-entered ones were at the top, then select them by checking the checkboxes, then having an option to print all the labels associated with the checked items. I can't use the system unless something changes.

Message 5 of 6
Super Seller

@afzimms ;

I do not use Square for printing my labels at all.

I bought Zebra Label Printers for my different size labels which I have 5 different sizes of.  I use 2 different size custom labels for my products that we make on site.  1 Small Rectangular size about 1.5" x 1", another rectangular one that is about 2.5 inches x 1 inch, and finally a Barbell (Jewelry type label).  

I have all five of these printers connected to a dedicated computer.  I create my own labels with the information and font sizes I want using the Zebra Designer 3 software that is available Free when you have a Zebra Printer.  After creating my new label, I save it in a Folder named Labels (K.I.S.S), Then I have folders by Wholesaler or my Item categories.  When I get an order for say 100 Incent Holders from XYZ Distributer.  I open the Label folder, the open the XYZ Distributor Folder and then look for Incent Holders and then the Incent holders are in Alphabetical Order.  I then click Print 1 label, to test and make sure my labels did not move, if all is fine I press Print and Quantity of 99.  Save if I changed something and save it in the correct location.  

As you noticed after saving a Label in the Zebra Software it also saves Which printer to use and has everything there for you.  There is also a $300 or more now upgrade you can get for the Zebra Software that can connect to a csv file from Squares Catalog to make sure your SKU's Match.  My way around this was to create my own labels for items that do not have barcodes, then scan that barcode into square and Create the item when Square says Item Not Found would you like to create this Item.   

Was a pain to figure it out and get it in order but now its easy, plus when I get an order for 100 items and I print 100 labels it forces us to check  the quantities match.  

Here is a video from Zebra how to create labels using their Free software:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS5gwiorQ6s 

Here is from Zebra how to connect it the software for an Additional $300 or more now to a csv file..:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTT5OuKURqI 

Now if you have a Dymo Label printer you can connect it to a CSV file free or you could before.

Here is a video showing how to use Dymo Software to create a label and possibly how to connect to a csv file:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaUUnGjAhvQ 

The benefits of using the Printers Software are:

1) The printer should Print what the Screen Shows

2) A lot more Label sizes are available

3) The software can also make 1D and 2D barcodes

I use the Zebra Free software and create 2D barcodes for my items and for my shelf locations.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 6 of 6