x

Online orders: Why are text message updates not optional when I have set it as optional?

Hi, I'm a retailer who allows online orders for both pickup and local delivery. I have ticked the "Allow customers to opt in to receive text message alerts" and yet there seems to be no option - when I did a test order I was told "Order updates will be sent by text message" - not optional.

I tried to just not enter my phone number but it is a desired field for pick-up & delivery. Can anyone tell me what, if anything, I am doing wrong in the setup process? Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
Report Inappropriate Content
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hi @Likenanadid, thanks for your post! At the moment, the system is setup so that phone numbers are always required for pickup and delivery. This is to make sure that you can easily contact the customers for pickup & delivery orders and that they themselves can track their orders like with other delivery services.

However, customer can reply STOP to opt out of receiving any future text messages relating to their order. They will see this message at checkout when providing their details as well. 

Screenshot 2021-01-04 at 11.18.09.png

When you tick the box Make phone number optional, this would only allow customer to opt out of providing a phone number for other fulfilment method like Shipping and Self-Serve Ordering.

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 2
Report Inappropriate Content