x

POS inventory will allow you to OVERSELL and item with NO WARNING!

I am having an issue with overselling items even though I have inventory tracking ON and also low stock notice turned on.  Not as far online sales but at the brick and mortar POS system. At a minimum, when you attempt to ring up a customer with an item that has  ZERO stock, a message should pop up  saying there is none. Obviously, at location this should be easily overridden but some sort of notice is a MUST.   

Who else is having this issue?

Does anyone know what the Low Stock button even does?  I have never received a message/text/report of having low stock.  It only seems to show up to the online customers?

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Beta Member

I might be wrong, but I think the low stock button simply sends you an email when a particular item is getting low (or maybe even all). I know we get email alerts when any item is getting low.

GetPreOrder.com, Official Square Partner - Create a $250K custom SuperSite for Square free. https://getpreorder.com/supersites
Message 2 of 38

I've looked through my emails and I see nothing about low inventory.   When I open the app, there is nothing popping up.   No red bubbles that I'm missing anything.  

Message 3 of 38
Beta Member

We get emails when it's low inventory, but I think you have to turn it on to do that. 
I TOTALLY AGREE about some sort of notice though. We've been having this issue too and a fix would be awesome. We sell out of something because someone buys online and then we sell it again in the store and it's a huge issue. 

@Joe ?? 

Any news on this? Toast POS does it but it'd be awesome if Square got on that level too! 

Message 4 of 38

We too have the exact same problem! We are accepting online and call-in orders in house and we need the POS system to warn us that the inventory is at zero. You can still sell in house even if your inventory is at zero. The POS system should not let you purchase inventory that is at zero!

Message 5 of 38

The only work around I’ve found to hold on the item button bringing it to the edit window and scrolling to see the current stock.  It’s really not the best and your employees would have to have the right permissions.  Tedious work around really.   

it’s just simple coding to fix this!  The information is all there already.   How about just a bubble on the button icon that has the stock number?  Or a pop up when you add a Zero stock item to the cart?   

Message 6 of 38
Admin

@vickyaustin @SBFMarket @dreamicecream Thank you all for chiming in here. Regrettably I don't have any news to share regarding this feature, but trust that we're continuing to pass this feedback along and will share updates when they're available.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 7 of 38
Beta Member

Ideally all of these bugs and feature requests would get logged in a db (I'm sure they are anyway) and users would be able to look them up and see status/progress. 

Getting generic, "Nothing yet folks, but thanks for the feedback" is not satisfying in the least. 

Message 8 of 38

I wonder how I can get more other users to respond to this post.... if lots of people want the feature maybe it would happen faster?  I can only imagine that there are tons of business's who are now doing online right now that need to be able to see live stock numbers at their shops.  

Message 9 of 38

We're having the same problem except our zero stock items are selling on our online store. Calling customers to tell them we don't have the item(s) our online store allowed them to purchase is embarrassing & so frustrating!

Message 10 of 38
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @dreamicecream - thanks for adding your voice here on this thread. This conversation is being monitored by our Product Teams, and we are definitely conscious that this feature would be huge for our Sellers.

While we don't have any shareable timeline on this change just yet, we will continue to reach back out here as we have more news to share. Thanks so much for your patience!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 38
Beta Member

@Joe 

Ideally all of these bugs and feature requests would get logged in a db (I'm sure they are anyway) and users would be able to look them up and see status/progress. 

Getting generic, "Nothing yet folks, but thanks for the feedback" is not satisfying or reassuring in the least. 

Message 12 of 38
Beta Member

Hello, wondering if Square has anything to show, any updates? It's mid-August and the need for this capability has only increased. Thanks-

Message 13 of 38

It’s been awhile but I took many programming classes in college for my degree.  The information we need is already there, why is it such a difficult thing to add it to the screen?  Like a small bubble on the item button that has the quantity when is at a certain level, like under 10.   

Message 14 of 38
Beta Member

I agree that this is a problem.  We don't keep a lot of depth, so it's easy for an item to be oversold.  A pop-up that alerts to 0 stock available would be ideal.

Message 15 of 38
Beta Member

Disclaimer: We are an official Square Partner Company named ThinApp - our flagship solution for Square is called Pre-Order.

We just finished integrating Square's Inventory into our mobile apps, so now we can do anything imaginable. 

Currently, we are making Menu Items/Products automatically disappear from your App once their inventory reaches 0 - and, as a bonus, because of the way Square's Inventory works, we also have inventory control at the variation level too. So if you have a T-Shirt with a bunch of sizes and all Larges are sold out then only Larges will disappear, not all the other sizes. 

This allows us to easily NOT make the items disappear - we could just add a "Sold Out" sign in red and disable the ability to add it to the cart/shopping bag.

Let us know if you want to do a Square-powered Mobile App with some custom inventory features. We can make most of the inventory customizations free.

Thanks!

Ken & Jen

GetPreOrder.com, Official Square Partner - Create a $250K custom SuperSite for Square free. https://getpreorder.com/supersites
Message 16 of 38

Yeah this has become a big issue for us and is quite embarrassing. I hope square adds this simple feature soon so that we don't have to switch POS systems. 

Message 17 of 38

We are also having this problem- items show as sold out online which is great however the POS allows us to oversell in-store. There should be an optional alert that can be turned on when adding a sold out item to a transaction. It would be nice to have an alert that the last one has been sold, too. The only way we can manage right now is to go into ‘items’ and look at stock, or look at physical stock. Not very streamlined, it is slowing us down! 

Message 18 of 38
Beta Member

Chiming in as someone else who DESPERATELY needs this function! The online orders go so fast sometimes and there are so many at once that it is next to impossible to keep track. We have to do manual inventory counts and scroll through the items list to make sure we are at the right amount. We have had to turn away "walk up" orders, because the POS will just let you sell things that have sold out online! It's CRAZY. And we are losing business, but we can't call people who may have ordered hours earlier online to say "whoops" we sold your order. And we keep having to explain to folks "sorry, no, I can't take your order because we are not 100% sure if that is sold out or not". Embarrassing and not very professional. Please integrate this as soon as possible! (and I read about Stitch Labs being acquired by Square and I thought: "Oh! maybe this will be the answer to all of the issues we are having right now!" But then I looked and it is FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS A MONTH?!?!?! Yeah, ok...not. 

Message 19 of 38
Beta Member

Unfortunately, this has been an issue for us since March, don't hold your breath about getting it fixed. We're having the same problem and we're super frustrated.

Plus they keep putting out updates that aren't impactful or ones that most of us aren't heavily requesting and no updates on timing either. 

Message 20 of 38
Beta Member

We are an official Square Partner and making a Walk-Around POS for Clients who have Hosts/Servers, etc. that want to walk around and take orders. Our entire system is integrated with Square's Inventory, so our POS will instantly hide items that are out.

We could also make it where those items aren't hidden, but instead labeled as "Out of Stock" so your staff knows. Would you be open to using a Partner Solution for taking your walk-in orders?

Message 21 of 38