x
Beta Member

Selling In-Store and Online with WooCommerce - Gift cards don't work with Square WooCommerce plugin

I see this question appears to have been asked yearly since at least 2016 based on a quick search.  Every time, the answer has been "we cannot accept gift cards through our woocommerce payment processing plugin at this time, but will add this in the future".  

When is the future?

Square's online store is not functional enough for my business needs beyond my online store.  I use WooCommerce on Wordpress, and process payments using the Square plugin.  However, if I sell a gift card in store, it cannot be redeemed on my woo-powered site despite Square being the processor.  This is ridiculous.  So gift cards I sell in store are useless online.  

The same problem exists the other way - if I use a Woo plugin to add gift card abilities on my website, they can only be used there - a customer cannot walk-in to the store and use the gift card a friend emailed to them.  

So I can't offer gift cards, or more precisely, can't offer them without constant questions and complaints from customers who bought one on one medium, and want to redeem it on the other.  

When will this be addressed?  When is "in the future"? 

We're opening a new business now and I really want to use Square, but for the first time functionality is pushing us away instead of drawing us in like normal.

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Can-you-accept-Square-Gift-Cards-on-a-WooCommerc...

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Can-my-customers-redeem-their-eGift-cards-in-m...

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

Hey @Dan1!

Thanks for resurfacing this question.

We are working with other website hosts (like WooCommerce) to make the Square Gift Card integration happen - but to be honest, it's also up to WooCommerce and other website hosts to accept and recognize Square Gift Cards as a payment type. That's not something we can push through on our end. 

I do not have a timeline to share at this time, and I know that's frustrating. This is a highly requested feature that our Product Teams are monitoring closely, so feedback and resurfacing posts like yours is helpful. We will definitely post an update in the Seller Community when this feature launches or we have a timeline update.  

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 9

Square needs to sit down with Woo Commerce and get something done. 

We use Woo for our online store, and all payments go through Square. It is inconceivable that a Square gift card can't be used in Woo checkout when the PROCESSOR OF THE PAYMENT IS SQUARE!  It makes me think I should just use Woo Commerce to process all of our payments, and that is frustrating. I've used Square for years and I like the reports, etc. 

Message 3 of 9
Super Seller

@Joanniemaj the latest square api includes this option to accept gift cards and I am working on programming to allow for split payments in WooCommerce checkout so that customers can first apply gift card and then pay remaining balance with other card.  I will update here if I get it working. 

Currently, in standard WooCommerce square integration, you can pay with gift card for full amount and it works.  The key is to be able to split payment when gift card balance does not cover full checkout total.  That is the part I am working on.

~Cheryl!
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!

Cheryl! Tisland
Burst Of Butterflies Create & Paint Studio

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 4 of 9

That is just fantastic - thank you SO MUCH! I'll keep watching for it! 

Message 5 of 9

Hi,

1 year later. 

Are gift cards working with Woocommerce yet? Not just partially but fully, even when the gift card does not cover it fully? 

Message 6 of 9

Not that I know of. We finally just went with a WOO gift card plugin. 

Message 7 of 9

They've just introduced this feature, works well I'd suggest taking a look at it. As my main feature I'm looking for in a new POS is being able to use gift cards in physical locations + nicely with WC.

Message 8 of 9
Beta Member

Has anyone validated that 

1) a GC ordered online from the Square site or plastic Card In person, can be redeemed on the WC side?

2) a GC PURCHASED from WC can be redeemed at WC and in person?

I think I can test this with discount codes so I don't need to swipe a card for testing but just curious of someone has already tested both directions.  Basically are they all one in the same now?  This old article seems ti indicated they were once separate:  https://simongondeck.com/square-gift-cards-woocommerce/

Message 9 of 9